BBO Discussion Forums: What's the double? And what do you do about it? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the double? And what do you do about it?

#21 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-January-29, 13:05

surprised east didn't X 3
Become yourself.

#22 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 17:34

I don't like passing with the North cards one bit. If partner doubles for takeout and we pass, I guess quite often they will be 1 down and 4 would be on, partner has shortness opposite our Jxxxx. If N passed not planning to defend 1X North will be stuck to find a bid after partner reopens. 1N is un underbid and 3 is ridiculous when partner often has 3.

So holding 4s and a reasonable hand I think it is obvious for North to double at the first turn.

#23 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-29, 18:26

This double is penalty for me, do we even require honours for overcalls now? Partner could be sitting on KQJ9 xxx Axxxx x or something.
Wayne Somerville

#24 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 02:26

I think passing the North hand is ok but I wouldn't pass a reopening doyble then. If south doubles north can show some life with a 3h bid. If 1sp is passed out I would be happy to defend undoubled.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#25 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 03:20

the_clown, on 2014-January-29, 17:34, said:

... holding 4s and a reasonable hand I think it is obvious for North to double at the first turn.

I was West at the other table in this teams match, and North did indeed double at his first turn. My partner passed as East (anyone for redouble?), South rebid 2C and that was the end of the auction.

#26 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 03:36

WellSpyder, on 2014-January-30, 03:20, said:

I was West at the other table in this teams match, and North did indeed double at his first turn. My partner passed as East (anyone for redouble?), South rebid 2C and that was the end of the auction.

Yes, your pd has a perfect textbook redouble for me.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#27 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-30, 04:14

Jinksy, on 2014-January-29, 12:37, said:

Helene_t has the hands dead on:

This makes no sense to me. As it happened E had flipped, but on the diagram above, are you telling me you wouldn't bid 1S on W's hand? Then give E two of my Ss for the KS and a small D for eg, and N's (my) pass looks conservative but sane (if you disagree with can adjust a bit further to subtract a soft side-suit point or two from me), her 2S looks automatic, and my subsequent X still looks marked.

I would call it anything but automatic.

Anyway, maybe we all are expecting opponents similar to what we face and play against everyday in the area we live i guess. Perhaps i would agree to play this double as you play it if i was facing different type of opponents.I played in 3 different countries, 2 of them being European countries and 1 of them being USA. So far i have not faced opponents frequent enough to agree and spare this double for penalties..I also used to play A LOT online, my own observation remains the same.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#28 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 04:13

helene_t, on 2014-January-30, 02:26, said:

I think passing the North hand is ok but I wouldn't pass a reopening doyble then. If south doubles north can show some life with a 3h bid. If 1sp is passed out I would be happy to defend undoubled.

The problem is that partner will likely double holding any hand with short ending in a 4-3 fit quite often.

#29 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 04:42

the_clown, on 2014-January-30, 04:13, said:

The problem is that partner will likely double holding any hand with short ending in a 4-3 fit quite often.

True but if p has a 1345 with a small spade, hearts is probably as good as anything, and if p has a strong hand we can still get to 3NT. I admit that 3 could be too high. So double could certainly work better than pass. I used to double with these hands but have become influenced by AWM's idea that double should deny too much spade length. I am afraid that double could induce p to overcompete. But maybe I shouldn't worry, opps are not so likely to bid any more after all.

One the actual hand, 3 is a reasonable contract, but ok, so is defending 1X.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#30 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-30, 05:20

mycroft, on 2014-January-29, 11:09, said:

We also play "the only pair that plays two-of-a-fit undoubled is us"; I'm expecting that partner would be happy to see me pass, but as this isn't a traditional OBAR BIDS situation, she could be stuck for a call that says "DSI,P, but don't pass".

I play that convention too Posted Image

#31 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 05:28

If 1S gets passed around to P and he can't reopen, we're not missing game. Meanwhile, a double from me is likely to induce partner to heavily overcompete. Passing also gives me the option to make a penalty pass - or even penalty double - at a higher level.

I'll don't mind the occasional Moyesian fit in what might be the best strain anyway. After 1C 1S P 2S / X P I have a decision, but I'll worry about that when it happens.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#32 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 05:31

WellSpyder, on 2014-January-30, 03:20, said:

I'd prob redouble opposite an opener with E's hand, but opposite a fav 1 level overcall it feels too much to me.

#33 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 06:44

Jinksy, on 2014-January-30, 05:31, said:

I'd prob redouble opposite an opener with E's hand, but opposite a fav 1 level overcall it feels too much to me.

Does this XX not show something like Hx support?
(-: Zel :-)

#34 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-30, 07:10

Zelandakh, on 2014-January-30, 06:44, said:

Does this XX not show something like Hx support?

Oh. Well never mind if so. I'd have just taken it as analogous to an XX over an opening bid, which I play there as 10+, no fit, typically seeking penalties.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users