BBO Discussion Forums: BBO web-client version 1.47Q comments thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO web-client version 1.47Q comments thread Please post feedback here

#1 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-04, 13:29

A new version of the BBO web-client is now available. You can read more about it here:

Click to read more about the new version

Please post comments, suggestions, questions, and bug reports here. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-04, 13:36

I played over lunch. I was unable to turn off the "big cards" option (previously I could do so).
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-04, 13:43

Hi Bill,

Please restart your BBO client? Maybe it didn't update correctly...if still problematic can you post more details or email fred more details please? Thanks!
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#4 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-04, 14:41

So if I want to play a team game with a specific partner does the new version assist me to do that?
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#5 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-04, 15:12

View Postbroze, on 2013-February-04, 14:41, said:

So if I want to play a team game with a specific partner does the new version assist me to do that?

Yes. When you create the team game, enter your name and your partner's name in the appropriate spaces.

As for the other 6 names, if you know who some/all of these players are then enter their names as well. Otherwise leave them blank.

If you leave at least one blank, other players will be able to sit (with your permission). Or, if you receive chat messages expressing interest in playing, you can invite the players in question.

I have intentionally not included specific instructions for how to do all of this. If you can't figure something out then post here and someone will be able to help you.

The big difference between how the web and Windows version handles this is that blanks are allowed in the web version (and there are various facilities for letting players know that blanks exist and for filling them up with interested players).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-04, 15:32

I think he may have been asking about joining someone else's team game with a specific partner, not hosting his own team game.

#7 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-04, 15:39

View Postbarmar, on 2013-February-04, 15:32, said:

I think he may have been asking about joining someone else's team game with a specific partner, not hosting his own team game.

So the answer should be:
Yes.
  • You can click "Notify me when a team match needs players"
  • You can chat to "organizer" <mybuddy> and <mybboname> would like to play as partners.

#8 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2013-February-04, 16:25

View PostFM75, on 2013-February-04, 15:39, said:

So the answer should be:
Yes.
  • You can click "Notify me when a team match needs players"
  • You can chat to "organizer" <mybuddy> and <mybboname> would like to play as partners.

Yep exactly. Also, when you and your partner agree on which team match to join, choose the seats in the right direction and sit fast. Host needs to allow permission before you can actually sit, so I think in TM, try to chat with host first.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#9 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-04, 16:32

View Postbarmar, on 2013-February-04, 15:32, said:

This was indeed what I had in mind but as FM75 points out the changes will definitely make it easier to get Team Games going. Although, you were of course able to message the organisers of Team Games before the change, and ask to play - the problem was there are never any team games in the "Pending Team Games" list! The 'notify me' looks to be a great addition.

I wonder whether the "facilities for filling [team games] up with interested players" that Fred mentions will ever include a "take me to a new Team Game" option à la the current HMFAG feature. Of course they would have to become popular enough for that to be effective but I know I would use that a lot.

I don't really see the point in the lobby but I understand that this was a particular lobbyhorse of those stuck on the Windows client. With bigger cards and a lobby their excuses are running out. :P Join the progressives you guys!
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#10 User is offline   andych 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-05, 10:43

1. try hosted a team match in web client
2. created the team match without assigning any names.
3. successfully get messages from others interested to join.
4. i put myself into south by inviting myself.
5. i am placed as player as south.
6. i am not able to assign other players who messaged me.
7. i am stuck.

#11 User is offline   psantaana 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-February-05, 10:47

I like the improvements! One thing I would like to have is the option to "repeat" a team match. I mean: fill all the seats with the same players. I find it useful for a rematch.

#12 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-05, 12:06

View Postandych, on 2013-February-05, 10:43, said:

1. try hosted a team match in web client
2. created the team match without assigning any names.
3. successfully get messages from others interested to join.
4. i put myself into south by inviting myself.
5. i am placed as player as south.
6. i am not able to assign other players who messaged me.
7. i am stuck.

You can get yourself unstuck by clicking the "Director" tab on the far right of the screen. Your team match will appear in the list of running tournaments. Click the "Show tables" button associated with it. From there you can invite other players.

Note that "Show tables" appears on a drop down menu button. There are other items that appear on the menu that you might find useful.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Baes Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-05, 13:20

View PostRain, on 2013-February-04, 13:43, said:

Hi Bill,

Please restart your BBO client? Maybe it didn't update correctly...if still problematic can you post more details or email fred more details please? Thanks!

Whatever the problem was, it did not recur the next time I used the client (today).
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-09, 07:25

I love team matches and making it easier to set them up is a really good idea. I very much appreciate! Here are my experiences that I made. I created several team matches without participating myself to find out about how it works. I was able to create a match without any player named and came to the tables overview of all open matches showing my tables and 8 players to be seated. I received about half a dozen chats within seconds asking for pairs or single players to participate.

Problem 1: it is not possible to copy the names in chat to insert them in the invitation screen or even better - do that with a "right mouse click" in context menu

I started to invite players by clicking on the "invitation" button of a seat and then typing their names in.

Problem 2: Only a small number of the invited players accepted as if that is not always working. When I tried again in further matches I found that a lot of them accepted when I invited more than once.

During typing player names I got several popups from other players asking for a seat using the new software. I cannot finish the invitation I am working on before answering all open popups. The dialogue box is blocked by the new popup.

Problem 3: New requests are blocking the invitation of players that asked first

For the popup requests I could not figure out how to seat these players to certain seats. For example I still wanted to seat a special player on south at table 1, as they asked me to play as pair and did not want the new one to take that seat I wanted to reserve for someone else. Of course the software seated the new player on the seat where I did not want him to play and pairs could not play together. Or maybe I want to select one of the requesting players as my partner to play. I did not find out how to do that.

Problem 4: How to seat players to special seats when they are requesting for participation per popup request.

After invitating about 10 players the overview of my tables was unchanged - I had to press the acutalize button to refresh that.

Problem 5: The view of the tables should refresh faster and automatically else the host might invite several players for the same seat.

After I invited all players that asked for participation there were still two seats free. I looked for the sub list to find new ones but that did not work as most of the the subs were already playing in the team match. I would have expected that they are removed from list when accepting a team match?

Problem 6: Players in team match still listed in sub list

In one of the matches I created it happened that one of the players changed his mind and withdraw before I could make all invitations --> the match was completely cancelled before it was started.

Problem 7: Team match cancelled when one of the invited players is withdrawing before the match starts

Sorry I listed so many problems - maybe some of them are caused by wrong usage - will be glad when someone can point that out.

#15 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-09, 12:03

You can drag mouse over a name in chat and either right-click and select copy,
or use a key-board short cut to copy (Ctrl-C on PC, Cmd-V on Mac).
Then keyboard or mouse paste.

That said, how convenient would it be to have requests to play in a team match fill a container?
Then you could reject with a button or drag to a seat. There they could stay in red until accepting,
at which point they would turn green. Perhaps some other visual cue would be better for
color-impaired organizers.

When the game is full, all remaining players still in the request queue (container) would automatically
get a message saying that the match was full. Perhaps they could have a choice to be put in an alternate
queue.

#16 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-10, 08:40

Thanks for your list of problems, ScarletV.

At least some (probably not all - sorry) of these issues will be addressed in the next version.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#17 User is offline   andych 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-11, 22:18

the cards are very nice now. :lol:

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-February-14, 02:59

When logging in it is nice that the local machine remembers (assuming so opted) the id and password from previous login.
For those with more than one log in id it would be nice if it remembered additional id details when used without forgetting previous. Where it has been asked to remember more than one id it would present as default the last used id but with a drop down arrow prompting you to change if desired.

This suggestion equally applies to the mobile client and is a duplicate of a post that I have put in that thread.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-14, 06:37

I've never seen any web site that does that. How many people switch between IDs? If you have multiple users in the home, they should be using different logins on the PC, and each one will have their own saved BBO information (this will be true for all the web sites they use).

#20 User is offline   podlecii 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-February-14, 07:09

Hi,
I have a request regarding FDCC: Can you please add a option that don't allow you to see the bids you can make or had made or bids partner had made when you use FDCC. I don't want to see the bids - they are for the opps, but i don't want to write the explanations over and over either... :rolleyes:
The windows version has such option but web version hasn't.
I'm very happy with all new improvements in the web version that you made. Very good job boys :wub:
If you can add this thing it would be awesome.

regards,
Georgi

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users