BBO Discussion Forums: BBO web-client version 1.47Q comments thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO web-client version 1.47Q comments thread Please post feedback here

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-February-16, 12:04

barmar, on 2013-February-14, 06:37, said:

I've never seen any web site that does that. How many people switch between IDs? If you have multiple users in the home, they should be using different logins on the PC, and each one will have their own saved BBO information (this will be true for all the web sites they use).

HMRC's agent login page does just that. As a tax agent I have more than one agent id. Several, in fact, as a result of office mergers. In that case it is not I think any design aspect on the part of the web page designers but a feature of windows o/s and/or web browser software. Anyway, on a single terminal I only have to log in once under each id and then next time I just have to click the focus in the id field and it pops up all ids used in the past (provided that I accepted the security prompt to memorise it when used first time). I would expect this feature to be present at any site visited by a windows machine. Ok in this case we are not in windows but I think that the precedent is established.

As to how many users have more than 1 id, we can only speculate. I would expect every starred player to have an alternate. I would expect any player who occasionally wants to post hands in this forum without it being easily traceable back to him through myhands to have one, even though there is no hiding from bridge browser. Several of my acquaintances I know for a fact have more than one, for additional reasons that I do not always know but can guess.

At the end of the day, the value of the suggestion (as any suggestion) can be quantified as the ratio of usefulness to difficulty of implementation. So far you have questioned the numerator of that ratio. I think that you have evaluated that parameter in error, but we can agree to differ. You have not attempted to address the denominator. If it is hard to implement then I have to accept your judgement, having personally no expertise on which to draw. It would however surprise me.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-February-17, 09:47

barmar, on 2013-February-14, 06:37, said:

I've never seen any web site that does that. How many people switch between IDs? If you have multiple users in the home, they should be using different logins on the PC, and each one will have their own saved BBO information (this will be true for all the web sites they use).

Any commercial web-site should do this. Amazon is the simplest example. I can put stuff in a wish list or shopping cart. Then I can login on another device and continue, and someone can login to mine and not see what I had.

It would be good for BBO not to expect cookies or a local file system to store the information.

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-February-17, 16:27

FM75, on 2013-February-17, 09:47, said:

Any commercial web-site should do this. Amazon is the simplest example. I can put stuff in a wish list or shopping cart. Then I can login on another device and continue, and someone can login to mine and not see what I had.

You're talking about something else. 1eyedjack's request was to have default login information for multiple accounts on the same PC. This has nothing to do with preferences once logged in. Login defaults have to be saved on the PC -- anything saved on the server will be keyed off the username, and you haven't given it yet.

I agree with you. I sometimes login to BBO when I'm directing at my bridge club, and it's annoying that my settings aren't there.

#24 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-February-18, 21:05

Hi:

We had ever a try to publish Chinese News on BBO News, but every time I regret to say that the title bar on BBO News is not compatible with chinese characters, chinese title only showed a line of messy codes in our eyes, so we honestly hope BBO solve our problem as early as possible.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

lycier
Chinese Forum

#25 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 08:50

We have version 1.47v now.

I would like to make a suggestion that for sure has been made previously, but I did not find it by searching. Problem is that when chatting to a player the chat is automatically converted to a mail if the player went offline. We often say things that only make sense in the current chat context, and sound quite strange if the recipient reads it in his mail, maybe not remembering the chat anymore. Therefore, the automatic conversion should be preceded by a dialog that ask the user if his chat should really be sent as mail, and offering the opportunity to edit the mail before sending it.

I have noticed that since some time it is possible to privately chat to the playing director of a tourney - I liked this a lot.

There are 2 other situations where chat should be possible though it is normally prohibited:
  • When I am registered to play a tourney with a partner who is currently invisible.
  • The TD should be able to chat to players and vice vera, even if the player has marked the TD as enemy and vice versa.

Karl

#26 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-19, 12:43

Maybe this was posted before. I finished playing in the Main Bridge Club. Displayed "My Results" and for the last board "Other Tables". It was not possible to display any of the other tables' diagram, though the any line selected was highlighted. See here:Screenshot

The same was true for the other boards I had played.

Karl

#27 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-20, 03:03

I have started to use the teamgame feature and like to share my experience. Within the last hour I have tried to play in at least 3 pickup teamgames, one of them hosted by myself, but all were automatically canceled after the second player chose to withdraw from the game. Of course this ruins it all if it happens often to a single player like myself. In the case where I was the host, one player did withdraw after the second board (all IMPs won by the other team so far). I tried to get subs but had no luck. Then, after 2 minutes, the partner of the missing player did also withdraw, and the teamgame was automatically closed. I am quite confident that it would have been possible to fill the 2 seats in reasonable time.

In the other cases, the teamgame was canceled when one table had not yet started, but 2 people who sat down at this table did withdraw. It is not reasonable to count such a withdrawal, because 2 impatient players can blow a teamgame this way.

In general, I think the automatic cancellation of a teamgame is a very bad idea. Instead, a message to the host should be issued, suggesting to cancel the teamgame, but leave the decision to him.

I had a look at the list of running teamgames. After opening a table from this list, on return the my view of the list should be the same as before I opened that table. The same is true for the list of tables in a tourney, btw., in case the td is busy inspecting tables in a certain region of the list. Currently both list views are positioned to the top of the list when I return to it.

In the list of tables I found some red players and sitouts. These all did not trigger an information for me, though I had selected to be informed when a teamgame needs players - this worked only for new teamgames. I did chat with some hosts to offer to replace the missing player, but I was never subbed in. Maybe these hosts did not know how to do it. I also tried to click on the red seat in order to invite myself to the game, but this did not work. There was also no way to put myself on the sub list for teamgames only. I suppose if I liked to do that I would have to move to the list of tournaments in progress and register to be a sub there, with no option to restrict my subbing to teamgames.

In the last teamgame I attended I had no partner for some time before the start. So I polled my friends and asked them to join, one after the other. I got only one response, when a friend bothered to come to my table and tell by table chat she was registered for a tourney already. This makes me believe that they were not able to chat to me privately because I was sitting at a teamgame table. Of course, this restriction does not make sense while the game has not yet started.

Karl

#28 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-July-06, 09:49

I propose that when you are playing in a tournament or team-game, and you complete the movement while one or more other tables are still in play, then the server should automatically transport you to the "room" containing the table(s) still in play (from which it would be a one-click process to kibitz a table if kibitzing is permitted).

I think that I did make this point in another thread (Android version) a short while back, but in that post I only referred to team games whereas the point is equally valid for any tournament as well as being valid regardless of which interface you are using, so I thought it worthwhile to stress the point in this thread.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#29 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-07, 15:26

1eyedjack, on 2013-July-06, 09:49, said:

I propose that when you are playing in a tournament or team-game, and you complete the movement while one or more other tables are still in play, then the server should automatically transport you to the "room" containing the table(s) still in play (from which it would be a one-click process to kibitz a table if kibitzing is permitted).

This is what currently happens. Did you mean to post this in the mobile client thread, not the web client thread?

#30 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-July-08, 00:01

barmar, on 2013-July-07, 15:26, said:

This is what currently happens. Did you mean to post this in the mobile client thread, not the web client thread?

My bad. Yes it seems only mobile after all

#31 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-08, 08:41

1eyedjack, on 2013-July-08, 00:01, said:

My bad. Yes it seems only mobile after all

If we change this in the mobile client, it will probably apply to both tourneys and team games.

#32 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-10, 11:02

I have been playing team matches during the last 2 weeks, and most of them finished. However, those which were automatically canceled are still annoying.

Today I started a new pickup team match and put in some players that introduced themselves by chat (probably using the old software) and accepted some players that requested to play with the new software. This worked. Then, I tried to place 2 players that requested to play via chat on the North and south seats of the first table. This did not work, and after some time I got the message that a nick with many digits, lets call it "f54365", was not replaced by the player I intended to place on north. I tried again several times with this player and the partner he had suggested for himself, but always got the same message that would only make sense if the North seat was occupied by "f54365". But the North seat was empty all the time, and I verified this by refreshing the display of the 2 tables. Finally, I put myself on the North seat, and this worked.

Even if the players were not placed because they rejected the invitation, the message was wrong as no "f54365" was ever at the table as far as I can tell.

Karl

#33 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-11, 02:03

Today I tried again to set up a pickup teammatch but the same error as yesterday occurred more than once, and I canceled this teammatch early during the setup process. I shall not try again until something has been done about this problem.

Karl

#34 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-13, 10:51

Today I played in a teammatch with 10 boards. After the match I studied my results - other table, and when I wanted to access board 5 it was not displayed. It turned out that I could only access boards 1-4 and board 10.

Something else: I suggest that if someone quits a teammatch at a table where the play has not yet started, the seat is restored to the original state where it is possible to ask permission to sit down for anyone who uses the web client. Currently, the state of the seat is "Sitout", and the host has to use the subbing process to get a player for this seat.

Karl

#35 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2013-July-20, 15:04

Given that a trick auto-quits when the fourth hand has played to it, it is critical that we have an opportunity to review that trick.
The facility to review that trick appears to be available by ckicking on the quit trick before you play to the next trick, but thereafter the option is denied.
That is sort of understandable and I am generally in favour.

However, say you are declaring against three robots, and LHO robot wins a trick and instantly leads to the next trick in a suit in which CHO robot has singleton which is auto-played (also instantly), then the opportunity to review the previous trick is denied, presumably because the software assumes that I effectively clicked on dummy's singleton, thereby supposedly indicating that I had no further call to check the cards to the last trick.

Not in favour of that.

#36 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-20, 21:52

AFAIK, you can review the previous trick as long as you haven't played to the current one.

#37 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-20, 22:32

Antrax, on 2013-July-20, 21:52, said:

AFAIK, you can review the previous trick as long as you haven't played to the current one.

But he's right -- an auto-played singleton counts as "you have played to the current trick", disabling your ability to review the previous trick.

#38 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-20, 23:25

Sorry, missed the context.

#39 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-23, 14:36

An automatic 2-minutes-ban was imposed on me, reason: spawming. What had I done? I tried to invite a friend who was in the partnership desk list of a tourney. Got the message "is not online". I tried again several times as I expected him to regain connection any second, and the tourney was scheduled to start soon. Of course, if he was really offline, this did not disturb anybody.

Karl

#40 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-July-23, 14:42

The spam check just checks if you send tourney invites too frequently, it's checked at the sending time, not after checking whether it was successful.

Turn on the option to get notified when a friend signs on. Then wait for the option and invite him.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users