BBO Discussion Forums: Response after Interference - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Response after Interference

Poll: Response after Interference (12 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid?

1. Double (5 votes [41.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

2. Two Hearts (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. Raise clubs (what level?) (1 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. Two spades (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Three Hearts (Fit Jump) (5 votes [41.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-October-13, 03:34

IMPS
Your system is Acol, so the 1 opening promised at least a four card suit. It will usually be either strong (15+) and balanced or at least a five-card suit (although 4414 is possible). 2 in a disturbed auction is forcing and tends to suggest 10 or more HCPs. You might stretch this with a suitable hand, but 6 HCPs? A 2 bid is artificial and forcing to game.

Double shows four hearts and 10+ points or four+ hearts in a weaker hand. But what are you planning to do when they raise spades?

#2 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-October-13, 04:17

I would be tempted to go with 4 although 2 would be the more natural response for me

#3 User is online   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-13, 05:34

Three observations:
  • One of the advantages of playing a weak notrump is that responder is somewhat protected after interference over 1m. Opener will either have extra strength (15+ HCP) or extra shape (5+ clubs unless exactly (4441), and some partnerships open 1 with 4=4 in the minors). This allows us to stretch our overcalls since the 3-level is often safe. Playing 4cM increases our advantage even further - even if partner is balanced, we are guaranteed a double fit in hearts and clubs. I think for this reason it is common, maybe even standard, and certainly my personal favourite to lower the HCP requirement of overcalls. I frequently stretch on this auction playing a strong notrump anyway and think a better agreement would be "8+ HCP, forcing for one round" to begin with (and if they catch us speeding with 12 opposite 8 misfitting I'll take the bad with the good), and I'm tempted to knock a point or two off of that in a weak notrump system. 10+ opposite 15-17 is also straight up GF, which seems excessive.
  • This hand is worth a game force opposite 15-17 balanced with 4(+) clubs due to the double fit. Partner is likely to have 4 spades if balanced (since we don't have any), but even opposite some wasted values I am never stopping in 3 or 2. AKx Axxx and out is fine odds for game, 4 points less than a minimum 1NT opener.
  • Even if we were unsure of our willingness to bid 4, we always bid shape first, strength second. An extra heart and a spade void is exactly the type of scenario where double can come back to bite us if they raise spades. I think our primary goal should be to inform partner of what to do over their possible 4 coming up, and this 'HCP' business is of secondary concern.
For all the reasons above I would bid 3 - a forcing fitbid with 5(+) hearts and 4(+) clubs. I intend to pull 3NT or 4 to 4, and if partner is unbalanced with clubs and a heart shortage they will pull to 5. I think 2 is a close second (and the only real option if you do not have a fitbid available), and double, pass, 4 or club raises are poor choices.
As a final remark I would really like to make partner declarer in 4, protecting their possible spade or diamond holdings. Unfortunately I do not have the tools to make this happen.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-13, 06:58

I agree with David I'd bid 3, this is an advantage of a 4 card club.

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-13, 07:22

I was kibitzing, rather than playing, so don't know whether 3 was available as a fit jump - which was the reason that I didn't include it as an option. Presumably 2 is the nearest alternative without that toy?

Edit: I managed to update the poll options to include the fit jump.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-13, 12:57

Edit: I managed to change my vote now that 3 is available is a fit jump, assuming I knew I had that toy B-)

#7 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-13, 13:40

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here with this poor hand when the opps. are holding the suit so can outbid you without raising the level. A 3 bid just seems extreme and partner could be very confused whether to sacrifice or X the opps. if they end up in a contract at any level. I think X is enough here. The opps. will raise the suit that is a given, but I want to hear what partner says to X first when that happens. If he cannot bid further, then I do not want to be competing at the five level at red.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-13, 14:11

View PostLBengtsson, on 2022-October-13, 13:40, said:

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here with this poor hand when the opps. are holding the suit so can outbid you without raising the level. A 3 bid just seems extreme and partner could be very confused whether to sacrifice or X the opps. if they end up in a contract at any level. I think X is enough here. The opps. will raise the suit that is a given, but I want to hear what partner says to X first when that happens. If he cannot bid further, then I do not want to be competing at the five level at red.

So partner's supposed to realise his xxx, AKx, Axx, AQxx is truly vast opposite my double and bid 5 or 6 rather than doubling 4 for a quite probable -1 ? The point of 3 is to bid 9 cards rather than 4 and suggest my hand is more offensive than defensive.

#9 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-October-13, 19:45

The problem with a fit jump is that some pairs play forcing passes after a FJ when vulnerable. If you have this agreement then it would not be a good call. If your fit jump only promises enough offensive strength for the call, then it is fine. If you do not have a fit jump available then the normal way of responding in the English-speaking world is Double. If you play in a part of the world where NFBs are standard then you probably respond 2, with the strong expectation that this will not end the auction.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users