BBO Discussion Forums: Stars and Platinum (ACBL)Event Qualification - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stars and Platinum (ACBL)Event Qualification Why the 5 point minimum?

#1 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-June-30, 17:23

I see that the Festival includes Stars and Platinum Points events which sounds like a fun event. But given that ONLY about 9300 ACBL Members have any at all, why set the limit at 5 or more?
Particularly for those of us who have high Overall Results in NABC+ Events that happen to have been 1 or 2 years before these Points were even created, I would say that even if not
discriminatory, that it is very unfair.

DGS/ ACBL Advisory Council Rep. D22

Just saying'''

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-June-30, 21:32

I'm not involved in running this event, but I imagine we needed some objective entry criteria that we could automate. Platinum points is something we can easily get from the ACBL membership database that they share with us. I'm not sure how we would qualify players based on results in NABC+ events that preceded the creation of these points.

5 seems like a nice round number. And this is supposed to be a premiere event, like the Platinum Pairs at the NABC. We don't want players who just have a couple of Platinum points -- you can get those relatively easily from match awards at NABC+ Swiss Team events. I've never scratched in one of these, but even when I was not a very good player I managed to win a few rounds on the first day -- the Swiss format is very accomodating.

#3 User is offline   Leo LaSota 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-01, 17:44

View Postbarmar, on 2022-June-30, 21:32, said:

I'm not involved in running this event, but I imagine we needed some objective entry criteria that we could automate. Platinum points is something we can easily get from the ACBL membership database that they share with us. I'm not sure how we would qualify players based on results in NABC+ events that preceded the creation of these points.

5 seems like a nice round number. And this is supposed to be a premiere event, like the Platinum Pairs at the NABC. We don't want players who just have a couple of Platinum points -- you can get those relatively easily from match awards at NABC+ Swiss Team events. I've never scratched in one of these, but even when I was not a very good player I managed to win a few rounds on the first day -- the Swiss format is very accomodating.

Interesting that this is for stars or players with 5+ platinum points; seems like I may qualify as I am a star and have >400 platinum points and a NABC+ victory. I did not receive an invitation :(

#4 User is offline   Leo LaSota 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-01, 18:32

Not exactly the best customer service with BBO either... sent BBO support an e-mail about this ~ 10 hours ago and have received no response.

#5 User is offline   sfine 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-July-02, 07:52

The platinum event did not occur as I was enable to find the game on July 1. Platinum points have existed at regionals forever. I was intrigued by the ability to play with alleged top flight players. By the way BBO defines an expert as one who has played at a national event

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2022-July-02, 12:21

View Postsfine, on 2022-July-02, 07:52, said:

The platinum event did not occur as I was enable to find the game on July 1. Platinum points have existed at regionals forever. I was intrigued by the ability to play with alleged top flight players. By the way BBO defines an expert as one who has played at a national event

Played or placed? If it says played I suggest it was a typo.

#7 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-July-02, 16:32

AFAIK, platinum points are only awarded at NABC+ events which are only held at NABC national tournaments which are held 3 times a year. I have only won platinum point in nationally rated events at NABCs. Maybe you are mistaking Gold points which are normally only available at regionals. AT NABCs, regionally rated events only offer gold and red points.

The ACBL says

Platinum points are awarded for NABC+ events (which are national-rated events with no upper masterpoint limit) and include the national-rated senior and women’s events.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2022-July-05, 10:32

The platinum event did not occur as I was enable to find the game on July 1.

The Stars and Platinum Pairs event did occur, but there were only 4 tables. Not enough of them returned on July 2, so sessions 2 and 3 were cancelled.

The daylongs did better. Leo ran into a bug -- you can't register for a free daylong if you're playing in a Robot Duplicate. He was able to play after he finished the robodupe.

#9 User is offline   tbr 

• PipPip

Posted 2022-September-08, 21:08

No, platinum points a re only available at North American Bridge Championships. Only red and gold are available at regionals. sorry to disappoint.

#10 User is offline   nxw0016 

• PipPip

Posted 2023-June-12, 00:13

View PostLeo LaSota, on 2022-July-01, 18:32, said:

Not exactly the best customer service with BBO either... sent BBO support an e-mail about this ~ 10 hours ago and have received no response.

How could this be possible Leo? Even I can play. (If you still remember who I am.) Hope you get this resolved by now.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users