• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Trump Range Query

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-March-05, 11:47

I have been wondering about No Trump ranges for a while... Often pairs will have (for example) (14+) 15-17 as their range

my question is, if you simply alert your range as 15-17 are you banned from having a 14 as you're not alerting it as 14+ - 17, or should 14 counts just be extremely rare.

What made me think of this was:

http://bridgewinners...g-problem-8954/

fwiw I opened 1N (alerted as 15-17), my p bid 3n on his balanced 10 count and they had 5 cashing spades, but it's besides the point... Should we be alerting our no trump range as 14+-17 if we open this kinda hand 1N or is it just "normal bridge" (the majority if not all of the expert players agreed with my 1n call) - where to draw the line?

Thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-05, 11:55

Marty Bergen talks a bit about this in his "hand evaluation" pamphlet. His argument is that if you have a balanced 14 count that is good enough to upgrade to 15, or a balanced 18 count that is bad enough to downgrade to 17, you should open 1NT, and you should put "14+ to 18-" on your card, and announce "good 14 to bad 18". I agree with him. Now if only I could get my partner to remember to announce it properly… B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-05, 16:34

if you're only opening those 14s which you consider to be as good as random 15s it's just bridge and you don't need to say anything.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-05, 22:43

You haven't specified a jurisdiction. ACBL is somewhat schizophrenic about how they treat upgrading. You're allowed to upgrade 14's to 15-17, and aren't required to mention it in your announcements. But if you play 10-12 NT, you're not allowed to upgrade 9's, because opening 1NT with less than 10 HCP is not allowed in GCC (technically, it's allowed but you can't use any conventional responses or rebids).

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-March-06, 09:42

View Postwank, on 2016-March-05, 16:34, said:

if you're only opening those 14s which you consider to be as good as random 15s it's just bridge and you don't need to say anything.

ok, so you're saying i could open a hundred 14 balanced hands as 1n in a row if i happened to judge each one of them as worth 15, it's only when i upgrade a hand that isnt worth an upgrade that it's a problem? and jurisdiction is EBU barmar
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-March-06, 10:03

View Postbarmar, on 2016-March-05, 22:43, said:

You haven't specified a jurisdiction. ACBL is somewhat schizophrenic about how they treat upgrading. You're allowed to upgrade 14's to 15-17, and aren't required to mention it in your announcements. But if you play 10-12 NT, you're not allowed to upgrade 9's, because opening 1NT with less than 10 HCP is not allowed in GCC (technically, it's allowed but you can't use any conventional responses or rebids).

Couple comments

1. From what I can tell, the ACBL is taking deliberate steps to make the regulatory structure as confusing as possible

Don Mamula (a former ACBL President and BoD member made the following comment on Bridge Winners)

> There are no precedents in the ACBL. There is an active culture designed to prevent such a thing.
> I tried to get a database of rulings (both TD and committee) to provide reference for future rulings.
> Shot down like a Zeppelin.

Told me, this passes beyond incompetence.
We're dealing with active malfeasance.

2. I got into a disagreement with John Adams regarding which HCP limits are absolute and which are subject to "judgement".

My position was that the 1o HCP limit for mini-NTs was absolute. (Players may not exercise judgement)
However, players may exercise judgement regarding other bids with minimum strength requirements.

Rulings@acbl.org originally claimed that there was not option for judgement anywhere.
I pointed out that this ran contrary to previous expression opinions by the same org.

Rulings then stated the following

> You've raised some interesting points. Remember that the 10 point
> limit for NoTrump is for when a partnership may or not play conventions.
> The 8 point limit is for being allowed to open at the one level at all.

> In both cases, it seems there should be some leeway for judgment
> if that judgment is exercised so rarely (once a year, perhaps) that
> there can be no anticipation whatsoever by partner for such a call.
> Anything more gets the partnership into implicit agreement and
> improper disclosure territory.

> I will bring this topic, and also the whole somewhat related
> area of NoTrump with off shape, to the Competition and
> Conventions Committee at their next or next next meeting.
> I would like to get an opinion from them and then try to
> write a rule which is more clear and logical on these subjects.

So there you have it.
The rules in North America appear to be, do whatever you damn well please.
Just make sure that you are better at badgering the tournament staff than the opposition.
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-06, 10:43

View Posteagles123, on 2016-March-06, 09:42, said:

ok, so you're saying i could open a hundred 14 balanced hands as 1n in a row if i happened to judge each one of them as worth 15, it's only when i upgrade a hand that isnt worth an upgrade that it's a problem? and jurisdiction is EBU barmar

yes, right, if those 100 14 counts are actually good ones. if your partner spots you're manic and open totally boring 14 counts though then he should say something.

#8 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-06, 11:24

When I'm a defender, I don't care whether you think your 14 count is really worth 15. I want to know if my partner can or cannot hold another jack. I have partners who open 14+ to 17 (on advise from Larry Cohen) so I've been around this tree.

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-March-06, 11:32

View Posteagles123, on 2016-March-06, 09:42, said:

I'd say "that depends".

The purpose of a range announcement is to provide the opponents with useful information.

The purpose of announcing "15 <--> 17" rather than "14 <--> 17" is that the the set 14 HCP hands that are appropriate to open 1NT
is sufficiently rare such that announcing "15 <--> 17 HCP" is a "better" description of the hand than either "14+ <--> 17 HCP" or "14 <--> 17 HCP".

Weird ***** happens. Even if the set of 14 HCP hands only makes up 1% of all 1NT openings, it theoretically possible that you could have a run for 5 or 10 or even 100 NT openings in a row such than each and every one happened to fall into this very rare set. In practice, I'd be extremely surprised if this were to happen and it would make me wonder what the hell was going on.
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-06, 11:44

"16, give or take"
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-06, 15:33

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-March-06, 11:44, said:

"16, give or take"

Sure, but how much are we allowed to take? :)

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-March-06, 15:40

View Postrobert2734, on 2016-March-06, 11:24, said:

When I'm a defender, I don't care whether you think your 14 count is really worth 15. I want to know if my partner can or cannot hold another jack. I have partners who open 14+ to 17 (on advise from Larry Cohen) so I've been around this tree.

IMO, the reason for disclosing 1NT ranges is primarily to distinguish strong and weak NT, since opponents often play different defenses to them. But the regulators didn't want to require just a strong/weak checkbox on CCs (or analogous announcements) because then there would be disagreements about where the boundaries are. So players announce a numeric range, and then the opponents can apply their own criteria to decide which defense.

But why should the opponents be able to figure out exactly what's in their partner's hand from this? We can't do it with any other bids, where players routinely adjust HCP requirements based on distribution.

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-06, 16:06

View Postbarmar, on 2016-March-06, 15:33, said:

Sure, but how much are we allowed to take? :)
OK, not Zero, or the "give or take" qualification would be inaccurate.
And not precisely 1, else that would be more accurate.

The lack of precision reflects the reality, that Milton point count is not the last word in determining the average expected trick-taking power of the hand. If systemically you slavishly follow HCP then the description is easy. But I don't think that you are (or should be) obliged to. Zonal restrictions may apply.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-March-06, 16:09

View Postrobert2734, on 2016-March-06, 11:24, said:

In all seriousness, what is going to cause you to misguess the hands more often?

Being told that I open 1N on 14 - 17 HCPs when in fact we play 15-17, however, there was one case 8 years back when opened on a 14 count.
Being told that we play 15 - 17 NTs, however, once in a blue moon I'll upgrade a 14 count.

In my experience, people like to complain about the opponent's disclosure and (one way or another) they'll find something to kvetch about...
Alderaan delenda est

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-March-06, 19:12

View Postbarmar, on 2016-March-06, 15:40, said:

But the regulators didn't want to require just a strong/weak checkbox on CCs (or analogous announcements) because then there would be disagreements about where the boundaries are.

Easily fixed: specify the boundary in the regulation. Of course, then you'll get "you downgraded your 16 count to 15! That makes your 13-15 1NT strong, and you announced it as weak! Mom! Billy's cheating again!" :P
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-07, 05:51

How hard is it to say: "15-17, could be a good 14."?

In between boards there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the tongues of bridge players. But when it comes to explaining the auction, suddenly tongue cramp is all around.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-March-07, 06:16

View PostTrinidad, on 2016-March-07, 05:51, said:

How hard is it to say: "15-17, could be a good 14."?

In between boards there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the tongues of bridge players. But when it comes to explaining the auction, suddenly tongue cramp is all around.

But what does "could be a good 14" really mean? If it just means that some hands, despite being 14 walrus points, are more similar to a mundane 15 than a mundane 14, then it is just bridge, and talking about it is at best distracting and at worst misleading.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-07, 06:32

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-March-07, 06:16, said:

But what does "could be a good 14" really mean? If it just means that some hands, despite being 14 walrus points, are more similar to a mundane 15 than a mundane 14, then it is just bridge, and talking about it is at best distracting and at worst misleading.

And what about a good 13 with a 6 card minor? Or 22(72)? One solution is to add a general comment prominently on the CC along the lines of "frequent upgrades, some downgrades" but that is not going to help the LOLs that find an opponent's CC too complicated to read and rely on the announcements. It is an area one might expect some guidance in the Blue Book but as far as I can see even Rik's modification is against the correctly stated form as laid out in 4E1 on page 15.
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-07, 08:54

The problem with relying on opponents convention card is that it is not canonical. They can check any darn thing they want on their card at no penalty. There is a duty to accurately and fully explain the partnership agreement. At least in theory, you can get redress.

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2016-March-07, 09:23

Are you saying there is no penalty for mis-describing your agreements on your system card?
--------------------

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users