BBO Discussion Forums: The Official BBO Netflix Movie/Show Referral Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official BBO Netflix Movie/Show Referral Thread Hint: I did not like Mad Men

#41 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-November-29, 06:43

Just watched American Factory. Would recommend but also suggest watching very sceptically. Hoping someone else has some views on it

#42 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-04, 21:09

We just watched Bridge of Spies. Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance are so good. For rent.

We've been watching Spiral (Engrenages) Season 7. Gritty and stressed out as ever. The Escoffier, Roban and Karlson characters have become even more interesting. In French. On HMZ.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#43 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2020-December-04, 22:11

View Posty66, on 2020-December-04, 21:09, said:

We just watched Bridge of Spies.

Would it help?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#44 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-December-05, 08:57

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-December-04, 22:11, said:

Would it help?

It might.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#45 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-December-06, 13:32

I've been watching A Teacher on Hulu, but mainly because I've always liked Kate Mara (I quit House of Cards when they killed her off).

#46 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-January-02, 19:57

From Manohla Dargis' review of Collective:

There’s no letup in the staggering documentary “Collective,” no moment when you can take an easy breath, assured that the terrible things you’ve been watching onscreen are finally over. The story begins with a tragedy in Romania that consumed the country and toppled the government. The villains and heroes involved — the bureaucrats and doctors, journalists and politicians — seem too much like Hollywood types to be true. But the story and its outrages are real, from the venal pharmaceutical company owner to the whistle-blowers who had all the receipts.

The original tragedy started the night of Oct. 30, 2015. A metal band, Goodbye to Gravity, was performing in a popular Bucharest club called Colectiv when somebody set off some pyrotechnics. Cellphone video shot that night shows just how fast the fire spread after sparks hit the club’s soundproofing material. Flames engulfed the ceiling, and smoke filled the club, which was in the basement of an old factory and had no fire exits. The immediate death toll was 27, with many more injured. Four months after the fire, the death toll had risen to 64. Among the many anguished questions: Why were victims with seemingly manageable injuries dying?

Some documentaries reassure you that the world is better when they’re over (inequity has been exposed); others insist it could be better (call the number in the credits to see how). “Collective” offers no such palliatives. Instead, it sketches out an honest, affecting, somewhat old-fashioned utopian example of what it takes to make the world better, or at least a little less awful. The arc of the moral universe may bend toward justice. But as “Collective” lays out with anguished detail and a profound, moving sense of decency, it takes stubborn, angry people — journalists, politicians, artists, activists — to hammer at that arc until it starts bending, maybe, in the right direction.

Very well done. Available for rent but not on netflix.

#47 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-03, 17:45

In 2003 a similar incident occurred at the Station nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island. In this case 100 people died and 230 were injured. This was the second deadliest nightclub fire in US history, the worst was the 1942 Cocoanut Grove fire.

#48 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-January-03, 21:16

We binged Ozark on Netflix. Quite a headspinner and hard to stop watching.

If you are over 65, I highly suggest "The Kaminsky Method" on Netflix - Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin are in rare form.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#49 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-04, 09:55

Similarly in Argentina in 2004: República Cromañón nightclub fire

#50 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-January-05, 11:58

Shameless plug for my favorite cops: ‘Spiral’ Review: A Peerless Policier Takes On Its Final Case

France’s answer to “The Wire” and “Law & Order” begins its final season on MHz Choice.

#51 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-February-03, 19:35

We watched the final episode of Spiral (Season 8, Episode 10) on MHz. They released 2 episodes per week so it stretched out for 5 weeks. Two thumbs up here.

#52 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-February-12, 16:17

The new version of the James Herriot stories on PBS was fun to watch. That got us watching the old stories which are fun to see again.

Had to take a break from watching A French Village. It is well done but too dark for me on top of all the other stuff going on.

#53 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-13, 16:44

Adam and I really enjoyed Lupin. It's kind of like Leverage, but a continuing storyline over 5 episodes, and with one main hero (with helpers) rather than a team.

Definitely looking forward to season 2, and will be devastated if there isn't one!
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#54 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-February-16, 14:00

View PostElianna, on 2021-February-13, 16:44, said:

Adam and I really enjoyed Lupin. It's kind of like Leverage, but a continuing storyline over 5 episodes, and with one main hero (with helpers) rather than a team.

Definitely looking forward to season 2, and will be devastated if there isn't one!

Thanks for posting this. We watched and really enjoyed it.

#55 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-March-14, 19:48

I watched "Wanda" last week. I found it fascinating but I won't recommend it. It was written, directed and starred in by Barbara Loden who grew up in coal country in western Pennsylvania before splitting for the big city at age 16. I think she must have felt nobody had a clue about how aimless life could be where she came from so she decided to show them. The last frame reminded me of the last frame in "The Deer Hunter" which is set in the same part of the world. The things we endure and if we're lucky escape from.

#56 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-15, 08:12

View Posty66, on 2021-March-14, 19:48, said:

I watched "Wanda" last week. I found it fascinating but I won't recommend it. It was written, directed and starred in by Barbara Loden who grew up in coal country in western Pennsylvania before splitting for the big city at age 16. I think she must have felt nobody had a clue about how aimless life could be where she came from so she decided to show them. The last frame reminded me of the last frame in "The Deer Hunter" which is set in the same part of the world. The things we endure and if we're lucky escape from.

Oddly, this less than fulsome recommendation makes me want to try it. I have not yet signed up with Netflix but maybe it's time.

Ken

#57 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-March-15, 19:03

View Postkenberg, on 2021-March-15, 08:12, said:

Oddly, this less than fulsome recommendation makes me want to try it. I have not yet signed up with Netflix but maybe it's time.

Whoops. "Wanda" is not on Netflix. I watched it on the Criterion Channel. Sorry for the confusion.

#58 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-March-16, 07:28

View Posty66, on 2021-March-15, 19:03, said:

Whoops. "Wanda" is not on Netflix. I watched it on the Criterion Channel. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, I will still watch for it.

I am definitely a sucker for stories of young people finding their way up.
When I was 13 I saw the 1952 version of Moulin Rouge. The focus is on Toulouse-Lautred.

One aspect of this from the Wik:

In the film, Ferrer plays both Henri and his father, the Comte Alphonse de Toulouse-Lautrec. To transform Ferrer into Henri required the use of platforms and concealed pits as well as special camera angles, makeup and costumes. Short body doubles were also used. In addition, Ferrer used a set of knee-pads of his own design allowing him to walk on his knees. He received high praise not only for his performance but for his willingness to have his legs strapped in such a manner simply to play a role.

The film also focuses on Henri's relation with Marie Chalet. Apparently, she was a real person who was really involved with Henri, although it's a movie, not a careful biography. At any rate, Marie tries to explain her life to Henri:

I was 13 years old before I knew that the entire world doesn't smell like it does where I grew up.

I had an easy childhood but I guess I am sentimental, these stories always get to me.

I'll watch for Wanda.

Ken

#59 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-March-16, 09:43

View Postkenberg, on 2021-March-16, 07:28, said:

I am definitely a sucker for stories of young people finding their way up.

Barbara Loden found her way up in real life. Wanda is about the dark side of life Loden escaped from. So perhaps very different from what you may be expecting based on my post. This story gives a more complete picture.

#60 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2021-March-16, 09:49

We're watching Atypical on Netflix. It's hilarious and educational if you don't know anything about living on the spectrum. I almost forgot how entertaining good sitcoms can be.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users