BBO Discussion Forums: The Official BBO Netflix Movie/Show Referral Thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Official BBO Netflix Movie/Show Referral Thread Hint: I did not like Mad Men

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-July-31, 14:05

With so many choices on Netflix, Hula, etc., I need some help whittling down choices. I bet others are in the same boat. Orange is the New Black is starting to repeat itself. I didn't like Mad Men. It's forever until the next Bates Motel. Breaking Bad was awesome. Stop and Catch Fire was good.

Others?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-August-01, 06:22

I really liked "From Dusk til Dawn" (This assumes that you like B movies)
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-August-01, 08:49

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-August-01, 06:22, said:

I really liked "From Dusk til Dawn" (This assumes that you like B movies)

I liked the original movie. I'll give it a try.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-August-01, 21:12

Too many good documentaries to count.

Last weekend watched Dont Stop Believin and The History of the Eagles. Thought both were supurb.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2015-August-02, 07:58

View PostPhil, on 2015-August-01, 21:12, said:

Too many good documentaries to count.

Last weekend watched Dont Stop Believin and The History of the Eagles. Thought both were supurb.

Agree with History of the Eagles. Have not seen Believin yet.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-August-02, 12:10

I enjoy the "death in paradise" murder mystery series from bbc tv set on a small island.

Also check out Lilyhammer series, American gangster moves to Norway.

Happy valley british cop series.

Spiral, French cop series based in Paris

edit also enjoyed the Ms. Fisher detective series set in 20's Melbourne.

If you are looking for an excellent doc. check out the kurt kobain," Montage of Heck" coming soon to Netflix

#7 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-02, 14:09

My wife and I both enjoyed these series:

Borgen. Danish with subtitles. Available from Netflix DVD service.

True Detective Season 1 on HBO. Season 2 was a bust for me.

Engrenages aka Spiral. Not sure where this is playing these days. Could be too gruesome for some.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-May-28, 19:54

Camp Crip, a documentary streaming on Netflix.

“This camp changed the world,” we’re told, in the early moments of James LeBrecht and Nicole Newnham’s documentary, “and nobody knew about it.” The most refreshing and surprising element of this moving chronicle is that, title notwithstanding, the subject is not Camp Jened, the Catskills getaway that offered disabled kids and teens a “normal” summer camp experience. It’s about how that camp was the epicenter of a movement – a place where they could be themselves and live their lives didn’t have to be a utopian ideal, but a notion that they could carry out into the world, and use as a baseline for change.

This documentary will make you laugh, cry, open your eyes and blow you away.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#9 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-30, 11:56

Adam and I really enjoyed "Shtisel". It's an Israeli show about a Hassidic family, and is very involving. We really liked that it was a portrayal of religious Jews as people first, unlike many shows that treat them as caricatures. Even if you understand Hebrew, about 25% of the show in the first season (50% in the second) is in Yiddish, so you might still want subtitles if you don't understand both languages.

(There's another, Netflix produced, show about religious Jews called Unorthodox, which was good, but it wasn't as magical as Shtisel, and not as nice to its subject matter. It's about a very specific community of Hassidic Jews, that all the others think are extreme.)

On a different note, I just finished the first season of RuPaul's Drag Race. I had never seen it before, and it's very entertaining. But perhaps not for everyone.

We both are enjoying Dark, which is a German sci-fi show. I don't want to spoil it by comparing it to another show, plus we're still in the first season.

Do people also want recommendations for Amazon Prime?
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#10 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-May-30, 11:57

If folks haven't seen "Better Off Ted", I love it
Alderaan delenda est

#11 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-May-30, 18:46

View PostElianna, on 2020-May-30, 11:56, said:

Do people also want recommendations for Amazon Prime?

I do.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-June-01, 13:22

I started watching "Space Force" over the weekend. Given the talent involved, I expected it to be better.

The second season of Homecoming wasn't as strange as the first.

For documentary-type shows, I like "Patriot Act" with Hasan Minhaj.

#13 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-02, 10:27

View Posty66, on 2020-May-30, 18:46, said:

I do.

Just a note - what's on Amazon Prime for us, may not be on AP in the US.

Adam and I really enjoyed Good Omens. We had started watching it on BBC2, but then signed up to AP because of Star Trek Picard, and watched it there. The actors were great, and really brought the characters to life. I will admit that I liked the book better, but this was quite a good approximation.

As mentioned above, Star Trek: Picard. Like all ST that it interesting to me, what I found interesting was more what it had to say about modern times, than about its universe. I will say that it had a lot for longtime fans, if you were fans of the characters. If you're expecting stories more in the vein of TNG, this may not hit the same beats for you.

We've also been binge-watching Farscape and Defiance. We had seen Farscape years ago, but it's so amusing that it was worth it to watch again. It's definitely in a pre-Battlestar Galactica vein of SF TV shows, if you know what I mean. Basically, experimental astronaut Jon Crichton accidentally falls into a wormhole, and is chased around that side of the universe by an insane military commander (who changes over the seasons), and he's just trying to find his way home. (That's basically the spoken introduction of each episode.)

Defiance is more in the style of Skiffy wanted to save money. It's basically a western, set in post-apocalyptic St Louis. This time the apocalypse was caused by aliens who thought that earth was unoccupied and sent a terraforming ship, which was stopped and a war ensued. It is now peacetime, and humans and a variety of alien species are living in (very) relative peace, and mostly a western with Sci-Fi favors proceeds. Can only recommend the first two seasons, as that's as far as we've seen.

We started watching Bosch, but we just couldn't get into it anymore, and to be honest, if the shows proceed like the books, I don't think that we could watch him doing things he does in the books considering what's actually going on in the US. It was hard enough reading the books, but at least one can think that they started 30 years ago, and he's a product of those times, but they've moved the story forward at least 15 years (he's a veteran of the first Gulf War instead of Vietnam).

We also have been catching up with Superstore, of which we only saw one season in the US. Its a comedy about people working in a Walmart-like store.

#14 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-02, 10:30

View Postbarmar, on 2020-June-01, 13:22, said:

I started watching "Space Force" over the weekend. Given the talent involved, I expected it to be better.

The second season of Homecoming wasn't as strange as the first.

For documentary-type shows, I like "Patriot Act" with Hasan Minhaj.

We've only watched one episode of SF. It wasn't great, but I'm hoping the second episode will be better. Haven't convinced Adam to give it another chance yet.

We watch Patriot Act, but a lot of times I think that we're not the target audience. I can't explain what I mean, it's just that a lot of his asides or other cultural references have no meaning to us.

#15 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-June-04, 19:14

View PostElianna, on 2020-June-02, 10:30, said:

We've only watched one episode of SF. It wasn't great, but I'm hoping the second episode will be better. Haven't convinced Adam to give it another chance yet.

We watch Patriot Act, but a lot of times I think that we're not the target audience. I can't explain what I mean, it's just that a lot of his asides or other cultural references have no meaning to us.

IMO, Better Call Saul keeps getting better and better - now through season 5 with a final season ready to film.

#16 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-June-09, 03:42

Taboo. It was on Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Starring one of Britain's best current actors, Tom Hardy. Eight episodes. One of the executive producers, none other than Ridley Scott (Alien). Think Conrad's Heart of Darkness by way of a Dickensian Nordic Noir but even darker. I loved it! (But that's only a personal opinion.)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3647998/

#17 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-09, 15:38

Elianna missed some of our (my?) favorite shows on Amazon Prime:

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (probably anyone who has Amazon Prime knows this one, but it’s an amazing show about a Jewish housewife in 1960 NY who becomes a stand-up comic).

Mr Bean (in French for us but it doesn’t matter as there’s not much dialogue — one of the funniest shows of all time IMO)

The Expanse (probably the best science fiction show still producing episodes)
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#18 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-14, 09:41

View Postawm, on 2020-June-09, 15:38, said:

Elianna missed some of our (my?) favorite shows on Amazon Prime:

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (probably anyone who has Amazon Prime knows this one, but it’s an amazing show about a Jewish housewife in 1960 NY who becomes a stand-up comic).

Mr Bean (in French for us but it doesn’t matter as there’s not much dialogue — one of the funniest shows of all time IMO)

The Expanse (probably the best science fiction show still producing episodes)

I also missed Russian Doll on Netflix, which we really enjoyed. I don't even want to say what it's about because figuring that out is part of the fun. But it's really well acted!

#19 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-June-14, 19:38

We watched Da Five Bloods by Spike Lee. Covers a lot of emotional and historical ground. Rough in parts, hokey even, but the opening footage of Muhammad Ali, the songs of Marvin Gaye and the performance of Delroy Lindo are unforgettable.

Edit: Here's Viet Than Nguyen's thoughtful but not too flattering comparison with Martin Luther King's "Beyond Vietnam" speech.

#20 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-June-18, 18:14

We just finished watching Season 2 of "My Brilliant Friend" on HBO. Gorgeously filmed. Incredible acting by everyone. I am envious of their friendship.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users