BBO Discussion Forums: What's the double? And what do you do about it? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's the double? And what do you do about it?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-January-28, 08:15

You’re playing 5cM with better minor. Teams, unfavourable (hands rotated for convenience).

W is a strong club player, E is fairly weak.

How do you understand the double? And what do you propose to do about it?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 08:24

Partner wants me to bid something and there is a good chance they do not have 4 hearts. I do not really need to think much more about it at this stage as I think bidding 3 is pretty clear.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 08:44

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-January-28, 08:24, said:

Partner wants me to bid something and there is a good chance they do not have 4 hearts. I do not really need to think much more about it at this stage as I think bidding 3 is pretty clear.

Why didn't North make a Neg-DBL at his first turn ?
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 09:07

I've heard of this one - though you don't see them often these days. It's called a penalty double. It rather suggests the overcall was on a four-bagger, so this could be pretty brutal.

Obviously I pass.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 09:09

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-January-28, 08:44, said:

Why didn't North make a Neg-DBL at his first turn ?

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-January-28, 08:24, said:

there is a good chance they do not have 4 hearts

If they were to have 4 hearts then they felt too weak to double last time around and now want to step in at the 3 level at unfavourable. In that case the opponents are not going to let us have it at 3 anyway.

I know what you mean though - if partner were old school they would play this double as penalty. But if we were playing penalty doubles here then I would have felt under pressure not to pass last time around, since we suddenly have no way of competing on many simple part-score battles.

Edit: you still play penalty doubles in this sequence Phil? I must be seriously out of touch.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 09:19

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-January-28, 09:09, said:

Edit: you still play penalty doubles in this sequence Phil? I must be seriously out of touch.

If I have, say, a 3244 with 7-9 HCP, I am happy to risk 2NT now. But for me, the logic of this auction dictates penalties, however "modern" one is.

#7 User is offline   JaffaCakes 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-January-28, 09:23

Looking at the auction in isolation this is surely a penalty double. However what puzzles me is my !SA. How can LHO have a sensible four card overcall and partner have a penalty pass of 1!S? Surely partner would have bid 1NT with 4 or 5 mediocre spades? I guess LHO may have psyched?

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 09:36

Maybe east (stated as weak) raised with a doubleton. Trumps could be something like A Q9xxx KTxxx Jx around the table?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 10:20

Yes this is a penalty double. Apparently RHO has raised on a doubleton (LHO having overcalled on a 4-card suit is not plausible since good players do that only with good 4-card suits). Maybe RHO or LHO missorted his hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-28, 11:15

Double is for penalties and I am delighted to pass.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 11:26

View Postthe_clown, on 2014-January-28, 11:15, said:

Double is for penalties and I am delighted to pass.

4 trumps and a stiff club are pretty good reasons to pass 1 and they are not making this.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-28, 13:42

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-January-28, 10:20, said:

Yes this is a penalty double. Apparently RHO has raised on a doubleton (LHO having overcalled on a 4-card suit is not plausible since good players do that only with good 4-card suits). Maybe RHO or LHO missorted his hand.

How nice, LHO overcalled with 4 and RHO raised with 2 (or some other weird action similar to this) and our double is penalty because we are prepared and spared a low level double for this ! I don't know if it will be our opponents or US who will win the comedy contest.

I am with Zel on the theory side of discussion, but things do not add up much for a negative double here when i look at my hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-28, 18:02

View PostMrAce, on 2014-January-28, 13:42, said:

How nice, LHO overcalled with 4 and RHO raised with 2 (or some other weird action similar to this) and our double is penalty because we are prepared and spared a low level double for this ! I don't know if it will be our opponents or US who will win the comedy contest.

I am with Zel on the theory side of discussion, but things do not add up much for a negative double here when i look at my hand.

Well when partner has made a penalty pass and they raise it will be great if he can double for penalties. If We had a spade void instead of the Ace I bet everyone would pass in a flash. So if we were to agree that double here is takeout for the minors, this means that we give up the ability to punish them when they raise.

#14 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2014-January-28, 20:05

I remember having a bid argument with a partner about a similar sequence when I held Kx of their suit.

Partner had intended it as a light take-out double. My argument was that I had decided to trust partner rather than opponents.

#15 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 03:59

Usually penalty double is my choice.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-January-29, 10:52

View Postthe_clown, on 2014-January-28, 18:02, said:

Well when partner has made a penalty pass and they raise it will be great if he can double for penalties. If We had a spade void instead of the Ace I bet everyone would pass in a flash. So if we were to agree that double here is takeout for the minors, this means that we give up the ability to punish them when they raise.

You won't miss much by not using penalty doubles at 2 level when they bid and raise.

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 11:02

throw me in the penalty x camp. P had an impossible 2 nt bid if they wanted to treat their hand

as take out (xxxx Kx Qxxxx xx for ex). p knows from the bidding you are short in spades and

have at least 4 clubs and the 2n bid is the only way to get diamonds (and a probable fit) into

the picture while still leaving 3c as a possible contract. This hand also shows why p could not neg

x first time around:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Even though my hand is hardly top notch I pass:)))))))))))))

#18 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-January-29, 11:09

I play this as "do something intelligent", not pure penalty.

The only person in my room that overcalls on a 4-bagger (and it'll be KQT9 or better, since they don't have the ace) is me. I know of people who raise on two, but they've trained their partners to be the most honest person on the block. Partner could have Jxxxx and stuff, I guess, but why he would look for penalty at the 1 level on that I can't really set up.

We also play "the only pair that plays two-of-a-fit undoubled is us"; I'm expecting that partner would be happy to see me pass, but as this isn't a traditional OBAR BIDS situation, she could be stuck for a call that says "DSI,P, but don't pass".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#19 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 11:43

View Postmycroft, on 2014-January-29, 11:09, said:

We also play "the only pair that plays two-of-a-fit undoubled is us"

Does this apply at teams (as OP states this was) as well as pairs? And even if opponents are reasonably honest they could presumably have a 7-card fit, even if they are unlikely to be violating Burns' Law of Total Trumps.

#20 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-29, 12:37

Helene_t has the hands dead on:

MrAce said:

This makes no sense to me. As it happened E had flipped, but on the diagram above, are you telling me you wouldn't bid 1S on W's hand? Then give E two of my Ss for the KS and a small D for eg, and N's (my) pass looks conservative but sane (if you disagree with can adjust a bit further to subtract a soft side-suit point or two from me), her 2S looks automatic, and my subsequent X still looks marked.

Quite aside from that, as someone pointed out, nothing that's happened other than you happening to have an extra trump honour is inconsistent with trumps being 5530 around the table, (or 5431 with P having the SA instead of you), so what's so abnormal about having a penalty double to prepare for that?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users