• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Insufficient - then Conventional

#61 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-September-22, 10:27

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-September-21, 20:15, said:

When we apply L23, if we apply L23, we have already determined damage. The damage is that the infraction worked to the OS advantage OR the damage is that if the infraction had not occured a more favorable result for the opponents could well have been attained.

Even if we use SEWog and make the NOS keep their score, a split would be based on the rest of the field being damaged.

My point is: we don't have to first determine there was damage and then consider L23. We can determine from L23 the damage, and then apply it.

Damage is defined as the difference between the score the NOS obtained at the table and the score they would have obtained had there been no infraction. So I disagree with your first paragraph.

If you split the score because of a SEWoG, you give the NOS the adjusted score they would have received without the SEWoG less the amount of damage they inflicted on themselves. It has nothing to do with the rest of the field.

You first determine if this is one of the rare cases where Law 23 applies at all. If it does (the offender "could well have known" etc.) "the Director awards an adjusted score if he considers the offending side has gained an advantage through the irregularity". The amount of damage, and hence the actual adjusted score, is determined in accordance with Law 12.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#62 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-22, 11:14

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-22, 10:19, said:

Fair enough. Shall I commit seppuku?

I think that would be an unnecessary overreaction. But maybe you should bear in mind the suggestion you made to me in post no 45.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#63 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-22, 12:21

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-September-22, 08:48, said:

True, but if the damage is there and we don't adjust for the offending side because the NOS committed a greater, more costly error unrelated to the offense, we damage the rest of the field and should have applied L23.

Law 23 said:

Whenever, in the opinion of the Director, an offender could have been aware at the time of his irregularity that this could well damage the non-offending side, he shall require the auction and play to continue (if not completed). When the play has been completed the Director awards an adjusted score if he considers the offending side has gained an advantage through the irregularity*.

* as, for example, by partner’s enforced pass.

Nothing in this law caters for the rest of the field ("the non-offending side" refers solely to offender's opponents at the table).

#64 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-22, 14:13

View Postgnasher, on 2013-September-22, 11:14, said:

I think that would be an unnecessary overreaction. But maybe you should bear in mind the suggestion you made to me in post no 45.

Touché. B-)
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#65 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-23, 09:14

View Postbarmar, on 2013-September-21, 07:02, said:

Ahh, you're saying that it has always been a bad law, we never should have allowed correcting an IB. That's a reasonable position to take.

Not exactly. I am saying that the adaption of the law for spoken bidding to the regulations for bidding boxes is bad. In the same way as we differentiate between a card deliberately played and accidentally exposed, we can easily do the same for bids made. And doing so would make the regulations clearer, both for players and directors, as well as avoiding some randomised results from a partner being silenced.
(-: Zel :-)

#66 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-23, 09:18

Something like "take the bid card out of the bidding box, visually confirm that it is in fact the card you want, and then place it on the table. If the 'wrong' card then somehow gets on the table, too bad, you're stuck with that call"?
--------------------

#67 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-23, 09:40

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-23, 09:18, said:

Something like "take the bid card out of the bidding box, visually confirm that it is in fact the card you want, and then place it on the table. If the 'wrong' card then somehow gets on the table, too bad, you're stuck with that call"?

You might want to refer back to the suggestion Ed. Does the situation you describe sound like the card was deliberately placed on the table?

#68 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-23, 10:00

I'm trying to understand where you're going with this. Clearly I don't. Enlighten me. :unsure:
--------------------

#69 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-September-30, 05:56

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-23, 10:00, said:

I'm trying to understand where you're going with this. Clearly I don't. Enlighten me. :unsure:

Let me quote back my previous post then:

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-September-20, 06:51, said:

I think the IB law/regulation should read that the bid cannot be corrected once the card has been placed on the table deliberately. The call can be changed between drawing it and it being deliberately placed but the UI laws then apply. Simple, clear and encourages players to pay attention while still catering to mispulls, sticky cards, dropped cards, etc.

Note the word deliberately. Thus your scenario where the wrong card accidentally arrived on the table (dropped or whatever) would still be within the "correction period". The last sentence in the quoted post was a reference to this.

#70 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-30, 08:56

Okay, I see it. Probably a good change, but until it happens we're stuck with what we have.
--------------------

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users