BBO Discussion Forums: A little knowledge is dangerous - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A little knowledge is dangerous (another new rule)

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-September-21, 17:35

I played at the club the other night in a 0-1500 game with a brand new player.
At one stage when partner was declaring, playing 4th to trick he pulled out a low
trump and held it face up on the table. Realizing what he had done he said to me
“oh! sorry, that was stupid”

LHO piped in and said, “put it back in your hand, declarer cannot have a penalty card”.

As dummy, I kept quiet.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-21, 18:44

I don't understand. Did Declarer fail to follow suit by mistake (and was about to correct it)? Was it a low trump that lost the trick via an underruff?

It was either a card played, or it could be replaced ---with play continuing. It would not remain on the table as a penalty card.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-21, 18:50

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-September-21, 18:44, said:

It was either a card played, or it could be replaced

Provided it was an illegal play, ie a revoke.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-21, 19:05

View PostVampyr, on 2013-September-21, 18:50, said:

Provided it was an illegal play, ie a revoke.

Yes, that is included in what I said. There is no third choice; it was a played card, and life goes on --or it wasn't, is replaced, and life goes on.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-21, 19:16

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-September-21, 19:05, said:

Yes, that is included in what I said. There is no third choice; it was a played card, and life goes on --or it wasn't, is replaced, and life goes on.

It was kind of included, but you didn't make it entirely clear that the only way the card could be withdrawn was if it was a revoke.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-21, 19:23

Sounds to me like declarer was either ruffing dummy's winner or underruffing, and opponent was being nice to the rookie once he [declarer] quickly realized he had done something silly.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-21, 19:31

View PostBbradley62, on 2013-September-21, 19:23, said:

Sounds to me like declarer was either ruffing dummy's winner or underruffing, and opponent was being nice to the rookie once he [declarer] quickly realized he had done something silly.

It seems like a good idea to "be nice" to rookies, but a solid understanding of the rules will be more useful to him in the long run.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-September-21, 20:57

View Postjillybean, on 2013-September-21, 17:35, said:

I played at the club the other night in a 0-1500 game with a brand new player. At one stage when partner was declaring, playing 4th to trick he pulled out a low trump and held it face up on the table. Realizing what he had done he said to me "oh! sorry, that was stupid" LHO piped in and said, "put it back in your hand, declarer cannot have a penalty card".As dummy, I kept quiet.
IMO, after somebody drew attention to an infraction, when the play is over, dummy should call the director, if nobody else has already done so.

#9 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-September-21, 21:11

Sorry, trump was led, declarer played a low trump to the trick.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-September-21, 21:19

View Postjillybean, on 2013-September-21, 21:11, said:

Sorry, trump was led, declarer played the wrong, low card to the trick.

Well, if the opponents let him pick up and change his card this time, declarer will wonder why it is not allowed next time.

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-22, 00:42

So, what really happened validates both the thread title and Nige1's post. The opponent wasn't necessarily being charitable...just ignorant.

It seems Dummy was the only one at the table who knew an infraction had occured, and should have been the one to call the TD at the conclusion of play.

#12 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-September-22, 01:12

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-September-22, 00:42, said:

So, what really happened validates both the thread title and Nige1's post. The opponent wasn't necessarily being charitable...just ignorant.

It seems Dummy was the only one at the table who knew an infraction had occured, and should have been the one to call the TD at the conclusion of play.

Nobody is required to draw attention to an irregularity and apparently nobody did.
(The TD should be called once attention is drawn to an irregularity.)

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-22, 08:55

View Postpran, on 2013-September-22, 01:12, said:

Nobody is required to draw attention to an irregularity and apparently nobody did.
(The TD should be called once attention is drawn to an irregularity.)

You are referring to the play period and dummy's limitations. After the play has ended, and he no longer has those limitations, former Dummy should call the TD. Noone else need have called attention to it; he knows one occured and has the obligation to call.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-22, 10:17

The question is whether opponent's actions called attention to an irregularity. So was there an irregularity? Yes, declarer's comment to his partner is an irregularity. So is opponent's action (his instruction to declarer). The latter, IMO called attention to the former, and that is enough to allow dummy to call the director at the time. When the director arrives at the table, he will be given all relevant facts, including declarer's RHO's action, and should rule on all irregularities he identifies.

If the opponent's action does not call attention to declarer's irregularity (!?) then I agree dummy should wait until the hand is over before calling the TD. Note that I disagree with Nigel, who said "after somebody drew attention to an infraction, when the play is over, dummy should call the director, if nobody else has already done so." [Emphasis mine.]
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-22, 11:30

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-22, 10:17, said:

The question is whether opponent's actions called attention to an irregularity. So was there an irregularity? Yes, declarer's comment to his partner is an irregularity. So is opponent's action (his instruction to declarer). The latter, IMO called attention to the former, and that is enough to allow dummy to call the director at the time. When the director arrives at the table, he will be given all relevant facts, including declarer's RHO's action, and should rule on all irregularities he identifies.

If the opponent's action does not call attention to declarer's irregularity (!?) then I agree dummy should wait until the hand is over before calling the TD. Note that I disagree with Nigel, who said "after somebody drew attention to an infraction, when the play is over, dummy should call the director, if nobody else has already done so." [Emphasis mine.]

Are you sure about this? I couldn't find in L73 anything about Declarer making a comment to Dummy about his (Declarer's) own stupidity. I also don't think disparaging one's self in this manner broaches ZT. It isn't intent to deceive, which "Thank you" at the beginning might be. And it isn't giving UI to partner ---he isn't even a participant in the play.

I also cannot find anything which says Declarer being stupid is an irregularity.

So, only the verbage by the opponent was an irregularity (incorrectly applying his own ruling). None of the three players with a standing to do so have brought attention to that as being an irregularity during the play; so, I believe Dummy has to Dummy-up until play has concluded.

#16 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2013-September-22, 12:11

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-September-22, 08:55, said:

You are referring to the play period and dummy's limitations. After the play has ended, and he no longer has those limitations, former Dummy should call the TD. Noone else need have called attention to it; he knows one occured and has the obligation to call.

NO, I used Law 9A which clearly makes it optional (not compulsory) for any player (except dummy during the play period) to draw attention to an irregularity of which he becomes aware. (For dummy this option exists after end of play.)

You (I believe) confuse this Law with Law 9B which requests all four players (including dummy during the play period) to call the Director immediately once attention has been drawn to an irregularity.

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-22, 13:42

View Postpran, on 2013-September-22, 12:11, said:

NO, I used Law 9A which clearly makes it optional (not compulsory) for any player (except dummy during the play period) to draw attention to an irregularity of which he becomes aware. (For dummy this option exists after end of play.)

You (I believe) confuse this Law with Law 9B which requests all four players (including dummy during the play period) to call the Director immediately once attention has been drawn to an irregularity.

O.K. Then, I believe I, as Dummy, would be personally obligated to call the TD at the conclusion of play ---although apparently not required to do so.

I still don't think that we are on the same page about calling attention to an irregularity during the play vs knowing an irregularity occured.

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-22, 14:08

View Postaguahombre, on 2013-September-22, 11:30, said:

Are you sure about this? I couldn't find in L73 anything about Declarer making a comment to Dummy about his (Declarer's) own stupidity.

Try Law 74B2.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-September-22, 14:11

View Postpran, on 2013-September-22, 12:11, said:

Law 9B requires that the Director be called when attention has been drawn to an irregularity. It allows any player, including dummy, to do so.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-22, 15:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-September-22, 14:08, said:

Try Law 74B2.

O.K. But, I guess Declarer also violated 74B1 by not paying sufficient attention to the game. I don't think they meant it to apply to occasional brain farts.

And, then the "Thank you, Partner" camp is violating 74B2. I somehow doubt that or calling oneself a dumbsh** was intended in that Law. We definitely need more Directors for each session if so....or higher pay.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users