BBO Discussion Forums: looking for 4-3 or mostly stopper ask ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

looking for 4-3 or mostly stopper ask ? inv minors + comp

#1 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2013-August-14, 22:50

2D is limit raise or better, 3H is undiscussed but a double instead would show Jx,Qx or xxx.

From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#2 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2013-August-15, 05:58

Do you have an agreement what south pass showed? If this was neutral or just balanced minimum, 3 is needed to show values and ask partner to bid NT with help in diamond. It cannot be a suggestion to play in the 4/3, as you have no other way to ask for a stopper.
With say Axx,Ax,xx,Axxxxx partner had no other convenient bid...
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#3 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 06:20

I do not know what partner is up to, but unless proven otherwise 3 shows a heart stopper with 3NT being the primary objective.
With this rubbish, it would not occur to me to bid anything but 3NT. I would want better hearts and worse diamonds before suggesting game in hearts.
Since you did not bid 3NT on the previous round, your diamond stopper can hardly be better. With better diamonds you should have bid 3NT first time even if minimum.
Partner should not remain in 3NT, unless he has either a little help in diamonds or a source of tricks (long club suit).

Rainer Herrmann

#4 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-15, 10:18

Do you have an agreement what south pass showed? If this was neutral or just balanced minimum.
Balanced minimum. North failure to double 3D showed xx or worse in D.

(South would never bid 3Nt directly with a bare minimum hand)
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#5 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-16, 06:22

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-August-15, 10:18, said:

(South would never bid 3Nt directly with a bare minimum hand)

I think that is muddled thinking if South diamond holding has been improved by the intervention. (likely double stopper). A limit raise in a minor should not be shaded.
If you are playing a strong notrump and your partner makes a limit raise or better (a limit raise in a minor should not be shaded) followed by an intervention at the three level, how often do you think you will hold extras?
What are you going to do with a bare minimum hand and a suitable diamond holding for 3NT but not for defending 3 doubled?
Right, you will end up bidding 3NT anyway with your partner never knowing when to run from 3NT.

Better to tell partner whether you are confident 3NT is the right contract or whether you are less secure.

Rainer Herrmann

#6 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-16, 08:17

Yes I agree that if a minimum hand isnt a minimum anymore its ok to bid 3Nt.

But

Qxx
Qxx
AKx
Jxxx

2 stopper but i wont bid 3NT directly for sure.

On a different subject is that for bidding 3NT or not in sequence like this its often better to have QJx/AKx than QJxx/AKxx because partner is more likely to have 6 clubs.

#7 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-17, 03:03

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-August-16, 08:17, said:

Yes I agree that if a minimum hand isnt a minimum anymore its ok to bid 3Nt.

But

Qxx
Qxx
AKx
Jxxx

2 stopper but i wont bid 3NT directly for sure.

On a different subject is that for bidding 3NT or not in sequence like this its often better to have QJx/AKx than QJxx/AKxx because partner is more likely to have 6 clubs.

Agreed that AK is the one example holding, which will not improve. Unlucky, but I can not afford to design my system around one unlikely stopper holding.
Nevertheless my point was less whether my hand has improved beyond minimum, but differentiating the quality of your stopper in opponent's suit.
The issue really is, what are the alternatives?
Assume your partner reopens with a double, the most likely continuation.
If you are prepared to take your chances on defense by all means pass.
If you bid a delayed 3NT and partner will now run from 3NT, how happy are you with Qxx Qxx AKx Jxxx ?
I would not be with your hand. The alternatives are even less appealing.
So I think with the above hand I would make a decision to defend or bid 3NT immediately.
Over 3 I have no choice but bid 3NT and hope partner leaves me there.
This all would induce me to bid 3NT directly to avoid this problem. However, I am one of those dinosaur, who might have refused to open the above hand.
I do not mind light openers, but there is little merit in flat minor suit hands. Mini notrump would be fine with these hands.

Rainer Herrmann

#8 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-17, 04:34

If you bid a delayed 3NT and partner will now run from 3NT

Why ?

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-17, 10:31

View Postbenlessard, on 2013-August-17, 04:34, said:

Why ?

Because in my opinion as I explained you show doubts whether 3NT is the right contract when you did not bid 3NT immediately. Partner should not expect 2 stoppers in your hand.

Rainer Herrmann

#10 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-17, 21:18

Even with one stopper 3nt might be best. IMO responder isnt really well placed to make an informed decision.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users