• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Break in Tempo Appeal

#21 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-02, 16:32

sfi, on 2013-January-02, 16:20, said:

If the doubler considers a hand such as xx A10xx Kxx KQJx to not only be worth a double but also good enough to bid again, a bit of restraint may be worthwhile.

Or he considers Kxx, x, KQx, AKJxxx too good to overcall 2.

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-January-02, 22:48

Cyberyeti, on 2013-January-02, 10:11, said:

It's not so uncommon among players who think "I've got a 15 count, that's too good to overcall so I must double first"

Obviously this method should be part of the poll if the OS are playing it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-03, 05:14

Vampyr, on 2013-January-02, 22:48, said:

Obviously this method should be part of the poll if the OS are playing it.

Yup, this is why I said

The question should also be asked as to how much is too much to make a simple overcall.

#24 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 07:15

sfi, on 2013-January-02, 16:20, said:

If the doubler considers a hand such as xx A10xx Kxx KQJx to not only be worth a double but also good enough to bid again, a bit of restraint may be worthwhile.

Good enough to double, but not bid again. Perhaps resulting in 3-1, not vul, while ops have 21 points and 8 spades. Or perhaps making. Definitely not worth my restraint ;).
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#25 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2013-January-03, 08:33

billw55, on 2013-January-03, 07:15, said:

Good enough to double, but not bid again. Perhaps resulting in 3-1, not vul, while ops have 21 points and 8 spades. Or perhaps making. Definitely not worth my restraint ;).

Any reason to suppose the layout isn't something like:

2 can be a very decent hand opposite a passed partner and I'm sure you'll enyoy 3x. Defence appears to have around 10 tricks.

This is why I think bidding 3 is silly on the N hand gnasher gave originally.

#26 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-January-03, 10:25

r_prah, on 2013-January-01, 22:38, said:

Two questions:
1) How would you have ruled as the director?
2) How would you rule as a member of the appeals committee?

Legally, TDs and ACs rule the same way. Yes, this was not true fifty years ago, where there seemed to be an idea that a TD was just meant to rule against the offending side and let the AC sort it out, but that idea died many years ago.

That does not mean that they will always rule the same way even if they rule correctly, since often more facts are brought out at an AC. But when you give us one set of facts, whatever ruling is correct for a TD is correct for an AC.

Note that there are some minor differences in approach between [for example] the ACBL approach and the English approach. Posters are asked to say where the problem comes from. It often helps.

blackshoe, on 2013-January-01, 23:06, said:

Technically, EW should have called the director at the time of the BIT, but that's a minor detail.

I am far from certain about this. As far as I am concerned you call the TD when you feel like calling the TD, unless there is a disagreement about whether UI was passed: in that case you should call him then, but there is no such disagreement here. Otherwise you call him when you like. Some authorities positively recommend calling him after a call is made that could easily be based on UI, and that is what was done here. You may not approve, but that is not the same as saying it is technically wrong.

Members of AC's don't rule, they vote.

Not in Committees I have sat on, including ACBL and WBF Committees. We have decided, very rarely falling back on a vote. Of course, there is a distinction in ACBL case-books and elsewhere that TDs rule, ACs decide.

billw55, on 2013-January-02, 16:15, said:

I don't see how 2 can be a choice. South has xxx opposite partner's shortness, six trumps, an ace, and a singleton. What a hand!

That's fine if this was a bidding forum, and personally I should be considering whether to bid 3 or 4. But in a rulings forum you accept the bidding as given before any infraction.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 12:16

bluejak, on 2013-January-03, 10:25, said:

Technically, EW should have called the director at the time of the BIT, but that's a minor detail.

I am far from certain about this. As far as I am concerned you call the TD when you feel like calling the TD, unless there is a disagreement about whether UI was passed: in that case you should call him then, but there is no such disagreement here. Otherwise you call him when you like. Some authorities positively recommend calling him after a call is made that could easily be based on UI, and that is what was done here. You may not approve, but that is not the same as saying it is technically wrong.

I did correct myself in post #16 in this thread, at least as far as calling at the time of the bit.

Law 16A2: When a player considers that an opponent has made such [unauthorized- ER] information available and that damage could well result, he may announce, unless prohibited by the Regulating Authority (which may require that the Director be called), that he reserves the right to summon the Director later. The opponents should summon the Director immediately if they dispute the fact that unauthorized information might have been conveyed.

Literally, one should just announce that he's reserving his right, and if the opps object, they should call the TD. First, that last doesn't happen, and second, many people consider reserving one's rights as controversial, and suggest asking opps if they agree UI was conveyed. Which is what I suggested in post #16.

I am not going to sanction a player for calling me at some other time and saying "there was UI", but I may suggest to him that the time to ensure that there's not going to be an argument from opps on this point is when the alleged transmission of UI occurs.

Law 16A3: When a player has substantial reason to believe that an opponent who had a logical alternative has chosen an action that could have been suggested by such information, he should summon the Director when play ends*.

*It is not an infraction to call the Director earlier or later.

It's not an infraction to call the TD before at some other time than when play ends. The footnote to this law says so. It is an irregularity; the body of the law defines correct procedure as calling "when play ends".

As a general rule, it seems to me that calling the TD when you feel the need (there may have been an irregularity, you have a question about procedure, just about any good reason - don't call him and ask him to bring you a coffee!) is fine, unless the law specifically requires another time, such as when correcting a misexplanation (one's own or partner's). But in this one case, calling because you believe opps used UI at a time other than "after play ends" is a (very minor) irregularity. Note that the footnote specifically contradicts the statement about "should" in the introduction to the laws (that failure to do what one "should" do is an infraction of law). I suppose the lawmakers can do that if they want. B-)

bluejak, on 2013-January-03, 10:25, said:

Members of AC's don't rule, they vote. After going through the same process, if it was determined there was no LA to 5H, I would vote to affirm the TD ruling. If it was determined pass was an LA, I'd vote to adjust the score as above.

Not in Committees I have sat on, including ACBL and WBF Committees. We have decided, very rarely falling back on a vote. Of course, there is a distinction in ACBL case-books and elsewhere that TDs rule, ACs decide.

I didn't intend to say the vote had to be formal, though I see now that the definition of the word implies formality. Fair enough, AC's "decide". :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#28 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-04, 12:19

is the distinction between "rule", "vote", and "decide" of any import? Regardless of what you call it, a score on the board is established.

#29 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-06, 13:34

barmar, on 2013-January-04, 12:19, said:

is the distinction between "rule", "vote", and "decide" of any import? Regardless of what you call it, a score on the board is established.

probably the easiest way to look at this hand is to just present the south hand and the bidding with the other hands not being seen.

#30 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-07, 11:51

pigpenz, on 2013-January-06, 13:34, said:

probably the easiest way to look at this hand is to just present the south hand and the bidding with the other hands not being seen.

And how does that relate to the distinction between "rule", "vote", and "decide"? Why does it matter that we use one word for what the TD does, and a different word for what an AC does?

#31 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-09, 18:19

barmar, on 2013-January-07, 11:51, said:

And how does that relate to the distinction between "rule", "vote", and "decide"? Why does it matter that we use one word for what the TD does, and a different word for what an AC does?

generally if you want to poll other peers, if would be nice to not be influenced by what you see with the other hands....just the auction
and the hand involved opposite the partner who made the BIT.

#32 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-09, 19:41

pigpenz, on 2013-January-09, 18:19, said:

generally if you want to poll other peers, if would be nice to not be influenced by what you see with the other hands....just the auction
and the hand involved opposite the partner who made the BIT.

What does that have to do with "Members of AC's don't rule, they vote" and "Fair enough, AC's 'decide'"? I'm trying to understand why the distinction between these terms is relevant. How is polling and looking at the other hands related to this?

#33 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 02:19

barmar, on 2013-January-09, 19:41, said:

What does that have to do with "Members of AC's don't rule, they vote" and "Fair enough, AC's 'decide'"? I'm trying to understand why the distinction between these terms is relevant. How is polling and looking at the other hands related to this?

I think pigpenz is unaware that there are two reply buttons ("Reply" and "Add reply")...

and I think that you are unaware that he is unaware... :)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#34 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 10:28

Trinidad, on 2013-January-10, 02:19, said:

I think pigpenz is unaware that there are two reply buttons ("Reply" and "Add reply")...

and I think that you are unaware that he is unaware... :)

Rik

And a "click in the box" for a fast reply.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#35 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 10:53

Trinidad, on 2013-January-10, 02:19, said:

I expect you are correct, though it's surprising of someone who has made more than 2000 posts here.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#36 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-10, 11:10

gordontd, on 2013-January-10, 10:53, said:

I expect you are correct, though it's surprising of someone who has made more than 2000 posts here.

Maybe he just got confused. It can happen to all of us. I know I have done sillier things...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#37 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-10, 11:51

Trinidad, on 2013-January-10, 11:10, said:

Maybe he just got confused.

And apparently he didn't want to admit to this when answering my followup.

#38 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-11, 21:55

you guys are too much at times

#39 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-12, 23:00

Only at times? :)

#40 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-January-13, 23:53

barmar, on 2013-January-12, 23:00, said:

Only at times? :)

Yes, it is a tempo thread. I suspect he intended the pun.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users