• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Appeal to decide the winner

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2012-November-20, 18:22

2D was a multi, and 2H was pass/correct.

3S made 9 tricks, for + 140.

The West hand had asked some questions over the 2D bid and there was an agreed break in tempo.

Director ruled that 2S was inadmissable and adjusted to 2H N/S, making for +110. EW appealed, saying that if 2H was passed back to West, he would double and they'd get to a spade contract that way.

What say you?

#2 User is offline   c_corgi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-20, 19:08

Assuming it is consistent with their methods, I think it is automatic for West to Double 2H. This comes with the usual caveats regarding whether this West really does always Double in these situations. I can't see any reason why they would get too high, or that 3S would be defeated if played the other way round. On the other hand, bidding 2S does appear to be rather naughty and would be inclined to issue a PP to East while awarding the table result to both pairs.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2012-November-20, 19:25

IMO, the director should consider PPs for both
  • the 2 bidder for the apparent use of UI.
  • the 3 bidder. When partner volunteers 2, his hand is worth game but he seems to believe that his previous performance expressed almost the full value of his hand.

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-November-20, 20:05

View Postnige1, on 2012-November-20, 19:25, said:

IMO, the director should consider PPs for both
  • the 2 bidder for the apparent use of UI.
  • the 3 bidder. When partner volunteers 2, his hand is worth game but he seems to believe that his previous performance expressed almost the full value of his hand.

Agree with Nigel and that the table result should stand (unless west is someone who waits for perfect shape before doubling).
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-20, 20:21

Why assume that a pair who are capable of perpetrating the auction in the OP would bid sensibly if East had passed over 2H? It depends who the players are, but I would be tempted to assign percentages of 2H, 3S, 4S and 3D.

I would also like to issue two PPs.

#6 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 02:19

It's obvious - West asked about the 2 bid because he had long diamonds :)

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 03:25

It seems pretty normal to ask questions when the opponents open a Multi 2 and then take a moment to process what it all means if the treatment is unusual. The problem seems to be that the later auction suggests this pair might use the questions and/or BIT as a form of illegal communication. Let's start by asking West why they only bid 3. That might lead to a stiff fine and a result of 4-1 being included in the ruling. The correction to 2 seems very wrong, not only because it is unlikely that West will pass it out but also because this is the EBU and it seems lazy to adjust to a single result when others are at least as probable.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 06:45

I'd adjust the result to 3S by E and give both of them a PP. Once you get past the UI and "fielded UI-induced bid" (hereafter known as a FUB), you have to consider that 2H is hardly a normal result. West has an automatic double.

Edited because I missed that East had the A :/

ahydra

#9 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 08:43

View Postahydra, on 2012-November-21, 06:45, said:

I'd adjust the result to 2S+1 by E (assuming NS won't compete; if they do I start weighting 2S, 3H and 3S) and give both of them a PP. Once you get past the UI and "fielded UI-induced bid" (hereafter known as a FUB), you have to consider that 2H is hardly a normal result. West has an automatic double.

ahydra

I think E may have a 3 bid after 2D-P-2H-P/P-X-P.

#10 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 08:45

View PostCamHenry, on 2012-November-21, 08:43, said:

I think E may have a 3 bid after 2D-P-2H-P/P-X-P.

Yes, sorry, I missed the A. I edited my post.

ahydra

#11 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-21, 09:20

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-November-21, 03:25, said:

It seems pretty normal to ask questions when the opponents open a Multi 2 and then take a moment to process what it all means if the treatment is unusual.

They already have the time of the 'stop' to process the information. I assume that if this was not adheared to, the OP would have said (and there wouldn't have been an agreed BIT), so the BIT sounds like it's over and above the 10 seconds, which I dont' think is normal for someone with no problem.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-November-21, 17:23

A common treatment (although not sure if this pair played it) is that 2-P-2-P-P-3 shows / and 12-14 ish.

In that case they will play 3.

W is entitled to ask, he may not know what the 2 bid is and there are other possibilities (precision style for example) where he may want to double. This gives E UI, but most likely that his partner has diamonds, as this seems the most likely holding he'd be bidding over some other sort of 2. Whether it implies values is open to question (do you double a precision or benji 2 with a weak 2 type hand ?).

Without further info:

E's bid is so absurd in the non protective seat that he must think his partner has something, he has no other reason at this point to assume the multier doesn't have a strong hand.

W has fielded as he has a clear 4 bid.

I also would adjust to 3= but give them a penalty.

Questions I'd ask that might change this:

What are their 6th seat methods ?
What hands would act over other types of 2 bid, but not over a multi ?

#13 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-21, 19:13

This shows two problems that apply to a lot of TDs.

First, having disallowed a call, many TDs never consider reaching the same contract by another route.

Second, when adjusting, many TDs look for a result and do not think "weighted scores are normal" and thus should only give one score if it is blindingly obvious.

This seems a normal "How do you rule?" thread. Why is it in the Appeals forum?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-21, 19:25

View PostCyberyeti, on 2012-November-21, 17:23, said:

W is entitled to ask, he may not know what the 2 bid is and there are other possibilities (precision style for example) where he may want to double. This gives E UI, but most likely that his partner has diamonds, as this seems the most likely holding he'd be bidding over some other sort of 2.

What hands would act over other types of 2 bid, but not over a multi ?

I don't think that there are any 2 bid that actually show diamonds that are alerted instead of announced in the UK. Maybe some sort of weird upside-down Lucas, but this would be extremely uncommon.

I think that West wished to know whether he would have another chance to act. And if he was told that 2 was Multi, he might ask more, because some players call it Multi when it is weak only (what is that actually called, David?).

To answer the above question: with this hand, West may have been interested in bidding 2 for takeout if 2 was a bid that was usually a weak-two in hearts; may have considered doubling to show "interest" if the bid showed both majors; may have just wanted to follow the auction (and be ready with explanations/alerts).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-21, 19:30

I like the name "Mini-Multi" though we usually describe our openings as "Weak only Multi".
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-21, 19:55

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-21, 19:30, said:

I like the name "Mini-Multi" though we usually describe our openings as "Weak only Multi".

I thought there was another name, named after a person. Am I mistaken?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-November-22, 01:51

View PostLanor Fow, on 2012-November-21, 09:20, said:

They already have the time of the 'stop' to process the information. I assume that if this was not adheared to, the OP would have said (and there wouldn't have been an agreed BIT), so the BIT sounds like it's over and above the 10 seconds, which I dont' think is normal for someone with no problem.

This may vary by jurisdiction but around here it is expected that questions are asked during the 10 seconds. It may then take additional time to process the answers. The local regulations do not give you 10 seconds starting from when the answers are finished so assuming that is when OP started the stopwatch is not necessarily correct.
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-November-22, 01:55

View PostZelandakh, on 2012-November-22, 01:51, said:

This may vary by jurisdiction but around here it is expected that questions are asked during the 10 seconds. It may then take additional time to process the answers. The local regulations do not give you 10 seconds starting from when the answers are finished so assuming that is when OP started the stopwatch is not necessarily correct.

I think that it is polite to give them some more time if the questions and answers have eaten significantly into the 10 seconds.

What is LOL is when opponents don't quite understand the point of the STOP card, and ask their questions after it has been removed!

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2012-November-22, 04:21

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-21, 19:25, said:

I don't think that there are any 2 bid that actually show diamonds that are alerted instead of announced in the UK. Maybe some sort of weird upside-down Lucas, but this would be extremely uncommon.

I think that West wished to know whether he would have another chance to act. And if he was told that 2 was Multi, he might ask more, because some players call it Multi when it is weak only (what is that actually called, David?).

To answer the above question: with this hand, West may have been interested in bidding 2 for takeout if 2 was a bid that was usually a weak-two in hearts; may have considered doubling to show "interest" if the bid showed both majors; may have just wanted to follow the auction (and be ready with explanations/alerts).

You misunderstood what I was saying, maybe (from E's PoV) W had a weak 2/3 in diamonds type, and wanted to double a precision (short ) 2 or bid 3 over a benji 2, but would pass over a multi. If this is the case, then 2 might not be particularly suggested by the question.

#20 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-22, 06:38

View PostVampyr, on 2012-November-21, 19:55, said:

I thought there was another name, named after a person. Am I mistaken?

On occasion I've seen it referred to as Wagner

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users