BBO Discussion Forums: Romney vs. Obama - BBO Discussion Forums

• 59 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Romney vs. Obama Can Nate Silver be correct?

#801 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-November-05, 13:05

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-05, 12:43, said:

Bush was only in office for 8 years, although it seemed longer...

The rounding that wyman pointed out was your rounding of $5.68 trillion down to $5 trillion.

Actually he rounded it down to 4T, though the article I read (and cited) only attributed 4.9T to the Bush administration. But things would just be better if we'd attach sources to numbers.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#802 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2012-November-05, 13:07

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-05, 12:53, said:

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-November-05, 09:20, said:

The Republican brand is crap any place outside of the old South. (You know why "Independents" are going for Romney in drives this year? Its because most of them are ex-Republicans who can stand to admit to belonging to that party)

On the other hand, the rapist bloc is locked in... <_<

you guys act like northern states haven't elected reps for house and senate seats, not to mention the governorships... speaking of which, yes the reps are dying off but with citizens united and the rep govs killing off the public unions, we're in the money for years to come
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#803 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2012-November-05, 13:26

View Postluke warm, on 2012-November-05, 13:07, said:

northern states haven't elected reps for house and senate seats

Benishek, who claims to be a republican, represents my district. I'll be voting for some local republicans again this year. As to the future of the national party, we'll see how this plays out. Should Romney lose, as seems likely, will the party come back to conservatism or will the extremists become even more entrenched?

How that develops will be interesting to watch over the coming months. If the national republican party doubles down on its fiscal irresponsibility, it becomes difficult to see what about the party could attract a majority of votes.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#804 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2012-November-05, 13:49

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-November-05, 08:44, said:

I am stating outright that you have reduced yourself to a caricature and a joke and that that rest of the forum will be having a pretty good laugh at your expense late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

you can have a really good one... i'll be glad to give you a chance to get your $300 back, if you want... everyone keeps quoting nate silver's odds, but i'm not that greedy... i'll take romney straight up, double or nothing... well, laughing boy? ball's in your court...
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#805 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 13:53

Just got a robo-call from Bill Clinton supporting Gary McDowell for my congressional district. The ex-president is all in!
:)
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#806 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-November-05, 14:14

View Postluke warm, on 2012-November-05, 13:49, said:

you can have a really good one... i'll be glad to give you a chance to get your $300 back, if you want... everyone keeps quoting nate silver's odds, but i'm not that greedy... i'll take romney straight up, double or nothing... well, laughing boy? ball's in your court...

If this is a $300 bet on Romney PK, I'll be glad to take Obama on hrothgar's behalf.

edit: assuming someone here can vouch for you, or we can escrow with someone here.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#807 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-November-05, 14:25

Sure. $300 that Obama wins the electoral vote
Alderaan delenda est

#808 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2012-November-05, 14:28

View Postwyman, on 2012-November-05, 14:14, said:

If this is a $300 bet on Romney PK, I'll be glad to take Obama on hrothgar's behalf.

edit: assuming someone here can vouch for you, or we can escrow with someone here.

i was giving him a shot at winning some money back from the primary, at (i'm sure you'd agree) incredible odds... for you, i'd have to consider taking the real pot odds

from peggy noonan's blog and fred barnes' blog, both of whom are recent converts... they were both critical of romney for most of the campaign

as an aside, gallup is now saying they are polling an R+3 turnout... in '08 it was D+7/8

#809 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-November-05, 14:39

View Postluke warm, on 2012-November-05, 14:28, said:

i was giving him a shot at winning some money back from the primary, at (i'm sure you'd agree) incredible odds...

I feel obliged to point out that you graciously didn't want to collect on our original bet, so this isn't so much about winning money back. Also, the bet was over choice of Vice Presidents, not the primary (and I still think that Romney would have been much better off going with Portman...)
Alderaan delenda est

#810 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2012-November-05, 15:07

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-November-05, 14:39, said:

I feel obliged to point out that you graciously didn't want to collect on our original bet, so this isn't so much about winning money back. Also, the bet was over choice of Vice Presidents, not the primary (and I still think that Romney would have been much better off going with Portman...)

true, it was on ryan... yeah, i think i said something like "hold on to it, i'm sure we'll find something else to bet on" but my memory may be faulty... what are silver's odds now, about 4:1?

#811 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 16:03

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-November-05, 10:34, said:

"Breaking right now on fox news! Over 500 generals and admirals back Mitt Romney"

The weapons industry loves to hire retired generals and admirals. Romney proposes to pump an extra $2 trillion into that gravy train. We can all do the math...

#812 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2012-November-05, 16:35

View Posthrothgar, on 2012-November-05, 14:39, said:

I feel obliged to point out that you graciously didn't want to collect on our original bet, so this isn't so much about winning money back.

found it right here... so i left the acceptance of any future bet entirely up to you

#813 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 16:45

Can I (the donn half of lalldonn) get in on that? I'll take Obama at any amount you would like up to $300 please. Also I mentioned it to Justin and he would like in for any amount period. I am perfectly happy to go on the honor system. I never ever welch on a bet and both putting money in some kind of escrow is just a needless complication to me. We can just say the loser pays at the San Francisco NABC, with anyone you would like either delivering or collecting the money on your behalf. I will be very easy to find there. The only other option that's convenient for me is to use my online bill pay to send you a check directly from my bank account, and I don't mind receiving a check in the mail either. If that will all be ok then I'm happy to discuss either in this thread or by private message.

If you are not giving us even money, I will still be willing to put up my 300 against your 250.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#814 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-November-05, 17:47

November 5, 2012

Romney 49%, Obama 48% in Gallup's Final Election Survey

Early voting so far breaks 49% for Obama and 48% for Romney

by the Gallup Editors

PRINCETON, NJ -- President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney are within one percentage point of each other in Gallup's final pre-election survey of likely voters, with Romney holding 49% of the vote, and Obama 48%. After removing the 3% of undecided voters from the results and allocating their support proportionally to the two major candidates, Gallup's final allocated estimate of the race is 50% for Romney and 49% for Obama.

#815 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 20:17

With the latest Gallup results showing huge momentum for Obama, Nate Silver has Obama's chances up to 91.4%. Tomorrow looks like an interesting day.
:)

#816 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 21:23

This is wild: Pundit accountability: The official 2012 election prediction thread

Both Ezra Klein and Larry Sabato predict that Obama will win with 290 electoral votes. But what really caught my eye was that if you average the predictions of George Will, Dick Morris, and Jim Cramer, you also get exactly 290 electoral votes for Obama. Is Mother Nature's hand in this?
:P

#817 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 21:44

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-05, 21:23, said:

This is wild: Pundit accountability: The official 2012 election prediction thread

Both Ezra Klein and Larry Sabato predict that Obama will win with 290 electoral votes. But what really caught my eye was that if you average the predictions of George Will, Dick Morris, and Jim Cramer, you also get exactly 290 electoral votes for Obama. Is Mother Nature's hand in this?

Particularly amusing, Nate is giving less than 1 in 20 that Obama gets exactly 290 votes. It's not one of his top 5 most likely occurrences.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#818 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-05, 22:01

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-November-05, 21:44, said:

Particularly amusing, Nate is giving less than 1 in 20 that Obama gets exactly 290 votes. It's not one of his top 5 most likely occurrences.

Yes. 290 would mean that Romney gets both Virginia and Florida, but it is possible...

#819 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-November-05, 22:21

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-05, 22:01, said:

Yes. 290 would mean that Romney gets both Virginia and Florida, but it is possible...

Or, 290 is:
Obama gets OH, PA, VA, NV, IA, WI, MI
Romney gets NH, CO, FL, NC

#820 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2012-November-05, 22:28

View PostPassedOut, on 2012-November-05, 21:23, said:

Neither Morris nor Cramer can be taken seriously; both are simply trying to create buzz and keep themselves in the spotlight.

• 59 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

31 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users