• You cannot reply to this topic

Did know how to defend this

#1 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-May-13, 14:11

2 was hearts and a minor, weak.
Partner leads J to dummy's queen. Declarer leads K from dummy.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#2 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 15:14

I don't see anything. Just in case he somehow has diamonds and really weak hand I play Ac and a c hoping for two kings in partner's hand.

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-13, 18:05

Declarer only has 9 tricks if he holds 2515 with 1 heart honnor and 1 club honnor (2, 4, 2, 1) So play trumps before he can ruff 2 in dummy. Problem is declarer has the timing to stablish spades then...

Only chance is that partner has Ax and K10 and is awake enough to duck first trick. That way he keeps control and if declarer goes for spades he can draw trumps and tap dummy.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 01:16

View PostFluffy, on 2012-May-13, 18:05, said:

Declarer only has 9 tricks if he holds 2515 with 1 heart honnor and 1 club honnor (2, 4, 2, 1) So play trumps before he can ruff 2 in dummy. Problem is declarer has the timing to stablish spades then...

Only chance is that partner has Ax and K10 and is awake enough to duck first trick. That way he keeps control and if declarer goes for spades he can draw trumps and tap dummy.

I would also play a , since declarer seems like made a mistake (he could have made it simply by setting spades first before play a from hand to K.

Also it would be easier for defense, if pd started with trumps as most people would do when declarer has a 2 suiter hand. A and another would work great.

Will pd know to duck first ? :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-May-14, 10:55

View PostMrAce, on 2012-May-14, 01:16, said:

Also it would be easier for defense, if pd started with trumps as most people would do when declarer has a 2 suiter hand. A and another would work great.

Since he didn't do that, maybe we should deduce that his hearts aren't Ax?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-14, 11:36

View Postgnasher, on 2012-May-14, 10:55, said:

Since he didn't do that, maybe we should deduce that his hearts aren't Ax?

Only thing that comes to my mind that gives us a chance is if pd has Ax , or K9 . Kx won't do it.

If pd has K9 we have to play both hearts and clubs. We can now play a and pd shifts to clubs after winning K. If he continues trumps we cannot set it since declarer will have time to set spades.

Also if we play clubs now and tap dummy, declarer still makes. Even if pd has KJxx or KTxx

-He ruffs 2nd club,
-Cashes a discarding a club from hand,
-Ruffs a
-Ruffs another
-Ruffs last
-Spade Ace
-Spade ruff
-Ruffs his last (4th round of clubs)

He scored 2+ 1 spade ruff+1+ 2 diamond ruffs + 3 club ruffs + trump Ace.

Only way that comes to my mind, which can stop him from doing this is if we play trump now and then pd knows to shift to clubs after winning K . But pd has to specifically hold K9 in order to execute this.

EDIT: But i doubt this is the solution you were seeking for, because this is more about how your pd will defend rather than you. However, if you saw this defense at the table and started with Q before you switch to trumps, to make it easy for pd, then i take my hat off for you :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-May-14, 15:58

Sorry, this problem might be a bit flawed.

My plan was to force dummy twice, once after winning A and once when partner wins K, so as to set up a second trump trick. What I was getting at was that if you're playing this forcing defence you should switch to a low club, not an honour.

If declarer's clubs are headed by K10, he may well guess to insert a spot card. From his point of view, this would be the correct way to prevent the force if A was in the other hand.

In fact, declarer was 2524 with A98xx (and no K, as it happens). He should probably have made on a similar line to what Timo suggested: ruff the second club, ruff a spade, ruff a club, ruff a diamond, ruff the last club, ruff something with 8.

If, however, he'd had xx A87xx xx K10xx, I think this defence would have beaten it legitimately (given a misguess in clubs).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users