• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just a guess?

#1 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-29, 07:12

Double is "takeout oriented", but might be strong balanced. LHO leads 4, playing 3rd/5th.

Plan the play.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-29, 07:25

East appears to be 51(34). I would win the spade and duck a diamond to establish communication. Assuming a spade back, I'll win it, ruff a diamond, run the heart J, HA, and ruff a diamond back to hand to draw the last trump. [Aside: To avoid a trump promo, I won't ruff a spade back to hand until I'm forced to or until I've drawn trump.]

Eventually my plan is to double hook in clubs to pick up either the 9 or the Q with west, assuming i haven't lost any spades or hearts yet.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 08:52

ruff a spade in hand and see if LHO has 4, if he has 4 then he is probable 43 in the majors

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-29, 10:50

We have a lot of options. To me, the most flexible early play is to win the spade and lead a diamond.

It is far from clear how we will continue, since so much depends on what the opps do. I expect that we can discover the spade lie shortly. However, the opps are going to be able to see, early on, that they can falsecard with virtual impunity in many layouts...LHO might well be able to hide his lowest spade, assuming he has 4.

It is also possible that if RHO wins the first diamond with the K (altho he can usually afford to play the A from AK, most opps won't work that out in tempo), we can lead the Q from dummy, forcing a cover and possibly creating a position against LHO in the minors.

Anyway, those thoughts are for later in the play (altho they form part of the rationale for adopting the early play on diamonds).

As to how I'll play the hearts....let me know how the next few tricks unfold, and I'll be closer to an answer.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-29, 12:40

I would also win and play a diamond, if rho flies the diamond K I will certainly run the diamond Q on the second round, trying to force a cover and hoping to either ruff down the diamond T or take the diamond ruffing finesse against the ten depending on how the play goes. Similarly if a diamond goes to the J and A/K with LHO. However, if rho flies ace I will not as I would be worried about rho protecting the stiff K. Nevertheless, much depends on how the early play goes.

I also play to run the heart J, LHO will normally remove with a stiff heart. I think the spades are most likely 4-4 in which case lho is very likely to have Qxx hearts to pass. Easts card may give you important information. Particularly if he plays the spade 3 with a meaningful look at partner in which case I will not try finessing the club J!

Another line that is not without merit is to start with a low club towards the ten. However, you might lose out when lho has some 3334 hand and would return a club away from the Q9xx after winning a diamond honour. Although that makes RHO's action very aggressive.

A third line that occurs is to play AKx spades and ruff a spade, if the spades are 4-4 I can exit with the diamond J, and this could give RHO a real problem - if I have the heart Q (and no club T) giving away a ruff and discard is a nightmare, if he does I can still ruff in hand and then run the heart J. I am in danger when west has three spades though. This does needlessly endanger the contract when it was cold by force though.

The more I think about it the more I think the second line is probably best. Surely west would lead from a doubleton on this auction, so the danger seems muted in the club suit. I expect west is 4333, though 4243 is certainly possible. Either way, a low club to the ten combines good legitamte chances with delaying the heart decision. I mean if LHO turns up with four spades a club honour and a diamond honour there is surely no way he has the heart Q as well.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#6 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-March-30, 05:27

:P Yuk! I'm going to play the ace, then the king, hoping to get a read in the suit. With no additional info, I guess a third pitching a is right. Given a chance I'm going to finesse LHO for the queen of trumps and hope to win my by brute force.

#7 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 08:07

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-March-29, 12:40, said:

A third line that occurs is to play AKx spades and ruff a spade, ... ( then ) exit with the diamond J, and this could give RHO a real problem .....

This is the line I was thinking of.
I'm expecting RHO to hold BOTH A & K ... ( and the A ) .

East wins first .
If he leads a , you get a free finesse.
If he leads a LOW , you get to pitch a from hand... and then lead the 9 for a ruffing finesse for the 10.
If he leads the high , your Q becomes high, and again you have the ruffing finesse to establish a 2nd discard.
If he leads a , your K becomes a winner and you can resort to establishing a for a discard as above.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#8 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-March-30, 12:01

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-March-30, 08:07, said:

This is the line I was thinking of.
I'm expecting RHO to hold BOTH A & K ... ( and the A ) .

East wins first .
...If he leads the high , your Q becomes high, and again you have the ruffing finesse to establish a 2nd discard.

How are you planning to get to dummy to take a ruffing finesse, and then get back to dummy again to cash the long one?

#9 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 12:10

View PostFluffy, on 2012-March-29, 08:52, said:

ruff a spade in hand and see if LHO has 4, if he has 4 then he is probable 43 in the majors

If they play well then you will still not know if LHO has the 4 (both sides will conceal the 3).

#10 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-30, 16:49

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-March-30, 12:01, said:

How are you planning to get to dummy to take a ruffing finesse, and then get back to dummy again to cash the long one?

Good question.
Looks like in that case, I need to find the trump Q .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#11 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-01, 01:53

at the table id play AK spade ruff a spade and run J of hearts
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#12 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-April-01, 02:28

Interesting things might happen if I eliminate the suit before playing the diamond.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users