BBO Discussion Forums: A bad night at the club - 1 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A bad night at the club - 1

#1 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-March-26, 16:40

Playing at our local club with my regular partner we struggled on a number of boards:

Unfortunately 5 made (down 1 double dummy) for a bottom. ATB?

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-26, 17:24

If I were bidding 5C over 4S, I would have just bid 5C directly (or 4N depending on your agreements). I don't see why west bid over 4S.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-March-26, 18:01

wyman, on 2012-March-26, 17:24, said:

If I were bidding 5C over 4S, I would have just bid 5C directly (or 4N depending on your agreements). I don't see why west bid over 4S.

I agree with this. What is the point of the double otherwise? Anyway, I would pass 4H.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#4 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-March-27, 03:10

As West I had doubled 4 and passed 4 .

I understand Easts X of 5 , ALL finesses are working for them and West has a weaker hand then expected. Bad luck for East.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 04:17

X of 4H is a little light, so perhaps W should pass 4 spades.

#6 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 13:04

I don't get it. How is 5 down 1 double dummy, why is East doubling 5 with zero defense, and why is West sticking his neck out over 4H with that hand at unfavorable? And why is 5 right over 4?
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#7 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 15:28

HighLow21, on 2012-March-27, 13:04, said:

I don't get it. How is 5 down 1 double dummy, why is East doubling 5 with zero defense, and why is West sticking his neck out over 4H with that hand at unfavorable? And why is 5 right over 4?

Not enough dummy entries to do what you need to do on a diamond lead. Because partner made a takeout double vul vs. not at the 4 level and you have an 8 count with potential soft tricks all over the place. The last two I have no real answers for.

#8 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 15:45

I can understand a direct 5 bid or the actual auction to have a chance to get to diamonds when it's right.

Since 5 is cold barring a low lead AND failure to cover the J and 5 is slated for -800 I have to think West was colour blind.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#9 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 16:43

why is West sticking his neck out over 4H with that hand at unfavorable?

Because he has a void in hearts, support for all the other suits, enough values to bid, and he doesn't want to get robbed.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#10 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 16:50

why is East doubling 5 with zero defense

Because west showed a powerful 20+ point hand and this is easts way of saying that I am flat and don't have much offensive help for you so perhaps we should defend.

and why is West sticking his neck out over 4H with that hand at unfavorable? And why is 5 right over 4?

That is where the blame belongs, west doesn't have the hand he showed. I have more sympathy for 5, which at least shows a distributional hand rather then a powerful hand but I would still pass.

#11 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 16:57

dwar0123, on 2012-March-27, 16:50, said:

west showed a powerful 20+ point hand

Sorry, but that is complete nonsense.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#12 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 17:09

655321, on 2012-March-27, 16:57, said:

Sorry, but that is complete nonsense.

Would you care to elaborate? I am not above admitting I am wrong, but just calling it nonsense is exceedingly unhelpful.

He doubled and then pulled his partner's 4 to 5. My understanding of doubling and bidding is that it shows around 18 points, doing it at the 5 level vulnerable I would expect at least 20 and some extra distribution to boot.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-27, 17:15

dwar0123, on 2012-March-27, 17:09, said:

He doubled and then pulled his partner's 4 to 5. My understanding of doubling and bidding is that it shows around 18 points, doing it at the 5 level vulnerable I would expect at least 20 and some extra distribution to boot.

The modern style, or a modern style, is that a double of three- or four-level opening followed by a new suit offers a choice of strains ("a flexible hand"), rather than showing extra strength. In this sequence West has shown something like a 2146 shape, and is offering a choice between clubs and diamonds.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 17:18

dwar0123, on 2012-March-27, 17:09, said:

Would you care to elaborate? I am not above admitting I am wrong, but just calling it nonsense is exceedingly unhelpful.

My mistake, I thought you were talking about the initial double (which is normally played as takeout and doesn't have to be anywhere near 20 points).

Still, doubling and bidding a suit doesn't show the strong single-suited hand either, normally it shows a flexible hand, playable in clubs as well as other places. I wouldn't have bid 5 on this hand, but would have passed 4.

A very strong hand that is only playable in clubs usually has to guess between overcalling 5 or 6.

#15 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-March-27, 17:21

gnasher, on 2012-March-27, 17:15, said:

The modern style, or a modern style, is that a double of three- or four-level opening followed by a new suit offers a choice of strains ("a flexible hand"), rather than showing extra strength. In this sequence West has shown something like a 2146 shape, and is offering a choice between clubs and diamonds.

While we're on the topic, what is the difference between opener's

direct 4N
X-4N
X-5C

I assume 4N is pick, X-4N shows a 2 card difference C<D, and X-5C shows a 2 card diff C>D?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-March-27, 17:29

wyman, on 2012-March-27, 17:21, said:

While we're on the topic, what is the difference between opener's

direct 4N
X-4N
X-5C

I assume 4N is pick, X-4N shows a 2 card difference C<D, and X-5C shows a 2 card diff C>D?

That sounds sensible, although there's a case for double-then-4NT to be Keycard.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-March-27, 19:34

West is sitting in 4th seat. His partner has passed and he holds 12 HCP. If the 4 bidder has all 10 HCP represented by the , that leaves 18 HCP to be split between his partner and the preemptor's partner. There's no reason to expect that the points are anything but split evenly between the hands.

So if he intervenes, his side will be contracting at the 4 or 5 level with somewhere between 21-23 HCP. Whatever points preemptor's partner has are sitting behind his tenaces. The expectation of making any contract his side bids aren't very high.

Besides that, he's Red vs. White.

Sometimes you've just got to stay fixed by a preempt and this certainly looks like one of those times.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users