• Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Tournament director of BR. The largest bridgeclub in Iceland
    vip@centrum.is

Posted 2012-March-16, 17:39

1 = Precision
3 = Diamonds or Majors
Double = 5-7. With 6+ West would bid 3SHD with decent 5+ suit
pass by N = Clubs

East calls me after opening lead of 3. North says to South. Pd. This does not promise . (perhaps not exact wording, but close to it - I had not appeared at the table at that time)
When I was present, There was no argument that South had explained that North's Pass meant .

East's argument is that If he had known that North did not promise clubs, he would have bid PASS to listen to what kind of hand South had.

I ruled...
I believe that East seriously considered to make a Pass bid. That is sure a LA.
South has automatic Pass bid on 3, holding Qxxx in pd's suit. Result. 3 doubled 7 tricks. 300 EW

N/S appealed. Passing on East's hand is impossible bid.

Appeals committie's ruling...
We feel that 3 is impossible result. South gave logical but wrong explaination. East will bid 3 if South gives right explaination and east will wait and hear South bid 3. There after, the bidding sequence will probably be pass - pass, and East will be in the same situation as before. and they ended in the best contract, and have no Game contract, and therefore they were not damaged.
Table result re-installed. 4H -2

Footnote by me. ( it did not appear at the appeal )
Pree emtive bidding agains strong club systems, are ment to be PREE EMTIVE. Nothing wrong with that. But when there is additional misinformation, then the pree emtive side has no simpathy in my opinion.

This post has been edited by vigfus: 2012-March-17, 03:02

Vigfus Palsson
Hlidartun 6
270 Mosfellsbaer
Iceland
vip@centrum.is
www.bridge.is

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-16, 23:32

Pass looks totally normal on the East hand if North's call does not show clubs, but ridiculous otherwise. I would be interested to hear why the appeals committee ruled that South would not pass 3CX - the writeup suggests that they dismissed that.

It looks like the table ruling was spot on.

#3 User is offline   vigfus 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Tournament director of BR. The largest bridgeclub in Iceland
    vip@centrum.is

Posted 2012-March-17, 03:04

Sorry all readers. I made a mistake when entering the hand yesterday. E/W hands were incorrect. The hands are now correct
Vigfus Palsson
Hlidartun 6
270 Mosfellsbaer
Iceland
vip@centrum.is
www.bridge.is

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-17, 09:04

How exactly does one make 7 tricks in clubs? 4 looks more like it, particularly on a trump lead. -1100.

South has no UI and so can be allowed to bid 3D, it's North who can't take advantage of the fact that South thinks he has clubs. North has to bid on according to what he things pass meant, probably "show your suit", so he passes as the AC mentioned. I agree with that bit of the AC's ruling.

But the AC haven't really offered a good reason why South wouldn't pass 3CX. After all, if he thinks N has clubs, it is an obvious pass as the TD mentioned. I say adjust the score to -1100.

ahydra

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-17, 09:49

I agree with adjusting to 3x by South. Here are some possible lines:

Trump lead to the queen, diamond to East's queen, three rounds of spades, diamond ruff, [HA]K-A-ruff, diamond ruff, Q, spade exit. Two down.
Trump lead to the queen, diamond to East's queen, three rounds of spades, diamond ruff, [HA]K-A-ruff, diamond ruff, Q, try to ruff a heart. Three down.
Trump lead to the queen, diamond to West's king, trump, heart ruff, diamond ruff, heart ruff, diamond winner. Three down.
Trump lead to the queen, diamond to West's king, trump, [HA]K-A-ruff, diamond ruff, Q, try to ruff a heart. Four down.

It's poor defence for West to play low on the first diamond, so I think I'd disregard the first two. I'd give 80% of -4 and 20% of -3. And a procedural penalty for correcting the explanation during the play.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-March-17, 09:50

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-17, 14:45

I can not understand the decision of the appeal on this one to be honest.

I have a question though, was this match made by screens ? If not, did you get to learn what the actual partnership agreement was ? I mean was it a wrong explenation of pdship agreement or was the explenation correct but North forgot their agreement ? Without screen this is important. If the explenation was correct and North forgot that agreement then appeals decision makes sense. Otherwise it does not.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-March-17, 19:52

If this had been with screens North and East would be screenmates, and East would have been given the correct explanation. So I think we can infer that screens were not in use.

The AC ruling contains "South gave logical but wrong explaination." I think that answers your question about who forgot the agreement.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-18, 01:33

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-17, 19:52, said:

If this had been with screens North and East would be screenmates, and East would have been given the correct explanation. So I think we can infer that screens were not in use.

The AC ruling contains "South gave logical but wrong explaination." I think that answers your question about who forgot the agreement.

Ok then south gave wrong explenation but appeal didnt buy East's proposal about what he would do had he been given the correct explenation.

They decided

1-East would bid 3 regardless of the info he was given

2-Even if he passed, South would ignore his own alert and bid 3 with JTxxxxx suit anyway, when he has Qxxx support to his pd's suit.

Interesting decision...
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-18, 04:17

I think this is an interesting case. It seems the AC decided that East will not pass 3X if East knows that pass doesn't show clubs. The main question is: What would we think that East would do when he hears that North's pass is "just neutral" (or something like that)? And remember to only look at the auction and the East hand.

I would certainly not pass. I would bid 3. This is because I think I will get richer playing in my own suit then defending a contract where I have a singleton with a partner who has a random 5-7 points.

There is something else that I found interesting. Why did South pass 4 if he thought that North showed clubs? I would not blink for a second and bid 5. It seems that South didn't believe his own explanation of the pass.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-18, 07:14

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-March-18, 04:17, said:

I think this is an interesting case. It seems the AC decided that East will not pass 3X if East knows that pass doesn't show clubs. The main question is: What would we think that East would do when he hears that North's pass is "just neutral" (or something like that)? And remember to only look at the auction and the East hand.

I would certainly not pass. I would bid 3. This is because I think I will get richer playing in my own suit then defending a contract where I have a singleton with a partner who has a random 5-7 points.

There is something else that I found interesting.

Why did South pass 4 if he thought that North showed clubs? I would not blink for a second and bid 5. It seems that South didn't believe his own explanation of the pass.

Rik

How about the prospect that 5C is too high? -500 would be only down three [five defensive tricks] and N has yet to promise a single honor and W has promised club honors.

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-18, 08:40

View Postaxman, on 2012-March-18, 07:14, said:

How about the prospect that 5C is too high? -500 would be only down three [five defensive tricks] and N has yet to promise a single honor and W has promised club honors.

In South's view, North has shown clubs. West has not promissed any club honors. (Where did you get the idea that West has shown something in clubs?)

On top of that, East thinks that he can make 4 opposite a random 5-7 count. If I have undisclosed 4 card support for my partner, I would already strongly consider raising. Give me a void in the opponents' suit and I will save 8 days a week. The only thing that I am afraid of is that I will talk them into an ice cold heart slam. (This will reduce the save frequency to 7 days a week.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-March-18, 10:40

Gathering:

View Postvigfus, on 2012-March-16, 17:39, said:

Pree emtive bidding agains strong club systems, are ment to be PREE EMTIVE. Nothing wrong with that. But when there is additional misinformation, then the pree emtive side has no simpathy in my opinion.

View Postsfi, on 2012-March-16, 23:32, said:

Pass looks totally normal on the East hand if North's call does not show clubs, but ridiculous otherwise. I would be interested to hear why the appeals committee ruled that South would not pass 3CX - the writeup suggests that they dismissed that.

It looks like the table ruling was spot on.

View Postgnasher, on 2012-March-17, 09:49, said:

I'd give 80% of -4 and 20% of -3. And a procedural penalty for correcting the explanation during the play.

View Postbarmar, on 2012-March-17, 19:52, said:

It seems South's speculation about a non-agreement is the culprit. North's speaking out of turn before play had ended was a violation with no adverse impact on the opponents; in fact it might have helped them. It could have helped N/S (UI) during the defense, but doesn't seem to have. However, I agree with the PP; pile it on :D
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-March-18, 15:26

Rik

In order to think you will defend 3 doubled, u must have a reason to think that south will pass also. If North pass didnt promise , chances of 3 being passed out is slim to none.

Otoh, if East passes there is a case he may have to show his suit at much higher level or not show at all. Assume south bids 3 showing s, and North now raises it to 5. East will definetely regret his previous pass. In fact he is totally screwed up.

There is something else that I found interesting. Why did South pass 4 if he thought that North showed clubs? I would not blink for a second and bid 5. It seems that South didn't believe his own explanation of the pass.

Rik

Thats a very good point. In fact if EW appealed or complained to TD about the lack of 5 bid by south, they could have some better ground for their case, no ?

#14 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-March-18, 19:36

Yet again, no-one seems to think of a weighted score. Ok, let's imagine what might have happened.

You open 1, strong. 3 Suction, on your left. Double, 5-7 by partner. Pass, on your right, no agreement. What do you do with a 4=6=2=1 hand? If you pass "to see what happens" I can assure you that you will get -670 some of the time! Most good strong club pairs that I know have found the best way to deal with intervention is to bid constructively. With the East hand you know South has diamonds, so if you pass he will pass or bid 3. Great.

So any ruling based on this hand passing 100% of the time is just wrong, in my view. Of course it will not.

How about the view that it will never pass? I would like to try a poll, to see: my guess is that few will pass. Of course, if you do pass, they will play 3 doubled, so you will get a good board.

So what seems a fair ruling to me? How about 25% of 3 doubled making some tricks, and 75% of East playing in 3 or 4?

Another question: how can you rule a specific number of tricks in 3 doubled? Since weighted score adjustments are the norm, I find it difficult to believe anyone is over 85% certain how many tricks are made in 3 doubled - and if you are not 85% certain, weight. Sorry, Andy, for saying no-one thought of weighting: at least you did for the number of tricks made.

So my view is that neither TD nor AC really realised that a weighted score is the norm, because the denouement of this hand without MI is very unclear.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#15 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-19, 00:27

View Postbluejak, on 2012-March-18, 19:36, said:

Yet again, no-one seems to think of a weighted score. Ok, let's imagine what might have happened.

You open 1, strong. 3 Suction, on your left. Double, 5-7 by partner. Pass, on your right, no agreement. What do you do with a 4=6=2=1 hand?

It is worth noting that I was presented with a 4-5-3-1 hand. The percentage action on the edited hand is less clear.

#16 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-22, 22:32

View Postbluejak, on 2012-March-18, 19:36, said:

Yet again, no-one seems to think of a weighted score.

Furthermore, noone seems to have thought of conducting a poll? Just give people the East hand and the correct explanation of the bidding and see what they do, doesn't seem so hard...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#17 User is offline   richlp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-23, 14:59

View Postvigfus, on 2012-March-16, 17:39, said:

Appeals committie's ruling...
We feel that 3 is impossible result. South gave logical but wrong explaination. East will bid 3 if South gives right explaination and east will wait and hear South bid 3. There after, the bidding sequence will probably be pass - pass, and East will be in the same situation as before. and they ended in the best contract, and have no Game contract, and therefore they were not damaged.
Table result re-installed. 4H -2

Footnote by me. ( it did not appear at the appeal )

The appeals committee seemed to say that South will give the correct information and will then act based upon correct information. If I understand the process properly, East must be given correct information and South must continue based upon his original incorrect view of what the pass of 3 showed. Without speculating on the number of tricks to be taken, it seems clear that 3 doubled should be the final contract.

#18 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-March-24, 15:04

Clear? Are you sure?

Ok, I shall ask you a bidding query.

What do you bid? Remember that your partner has shown nothing in clubs, possibly a singleton in a 4441 hand.

If you pass, partner will have

and while 6 is on ice, you are not going to score very well here.

For it to be "clear" to pass 3 doubled I reckon a poll shoud be getting 90+% of players to pass, and opposite a double which is not penalties I do not believe it. For one thing, I certainly would not pass, so there's one vote for not passing.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#19 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-24, 16:52

View Postbluejak, on 2012-March-24, 15:04, said:

For it to be "clear" to pass 3 doubled I reckon a poll shoud be getting 90+% of players to pass, and opposite a double which is not penalties I do not believe it. For one thing, I certainly would not pass, so there's one vote for not passing.

And here is another vote for not passing.

To determine whether EW have been damaged by the misinformation, we need to see what East would have done with the correct information. For me it is clear that East would have bid 3. In fact, for me, it is so clear that I wouldn't even consider a weighted score. That means that I think that in a poll, where players only see the East hand and the auction, less than 10% of the players asked will pass.

Rik

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-March-26, 02:00

View Postbluejak, on 2012-March-24, 15:04, said:

Clear? Are you sure?

Ok, I shall ask you a bidding query.

What do you bid?

Let me ask you a return question. What is the difference in our bidding agreements between:

P - P - 1 - 3
X - P - 3

and

P - P - 1 - 3
X - P - P - 3
P - P - 3;

and what would

P - P - 1 - 3
X - P - P - 3
P - 4 - 4 mean?

The East player said they would pass to find out which hand type South had. If neither North nor South has real clubs then how can partner have the given 4441 hand? It makes no sense; it is much more likely that partner has a bunch of clubs. North has asked South to bid either 3 or 3 depending on hand type, so why should we suspect a pass is coming? Now there are good reasons to bid 3 immediately because we do not want to get shut out if the opponents barrage us to 4 or 5. That means that 3 is probably the best bid absent agreeemnts. But in order to really judge we need to know the methods being used and that means an answer to at least the 3 auctions above. For example, perhaps the third auction is played as 4 spades and longer hearts. Then passing may well be a good course of action, no?
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users