• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Introductions and the Like

#41 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2004-June-30, 16:19

Like many others, I've found this section and feel that I should answer the question: "Who's been putting on all those obnoxious postings about ratings anyway?" :(

Many, many, MANY!! years ago somebody needed a warm body as a fourth for bridge and it's been downhill since then. Ten years later I found the love of my life at (where else?) a bridge tournament, which was at the time an every other weekend event. She has introduced sanity into my life and now I play tournament bridge once a year whether I need to or not. Having moved to sunny Florida a few years ago, I gave up my career as a computer programmer (a position for which I am no longer qualified) to become a bridge teacher's assistant (which is infinitely more fun.) Our main class is 35 tables in the winter (limited by the size of the hall, signups required) but when the snowbirds go up North, we are down to about ten tables. Bridge is like a busman's holiday - our main avocation is challenge square dancing.

Bridge teaching and the administration of bridge teaching is a full time job for us. We need to prepare about eighty lessons for this winter, each with 8-10 foolproof hands. The average new lesson might take about one and a half man-days. It's all worth it when we here several students comment on how well the hands are constructed to give you a bad result if you don't do the right thing, and how well the lessons flow.

I need not say anything about my ability except that my wife has noticed that when I am on opening lead, I lead fourth-best --- that is to say, the fourth best SUIT for our side. (Some BBO partners might have realized the same thing by now.) Fortunately, nobody has yet designed a system to maximize the chances of putting me on lead.
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

#42 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-July-01, 02:02

I'm born in 1966 in Denmark but live in the Netherlands. As a statistician with interests in information theory and game theory I find bridge a fascinating game, and I've been studying it since I was 8 YO, discussing bidding theory with my father who used to be one of the best Danish players, doing computer simulations and of course reading a lot. I invented a few conventions including raptor and T-walsh, but all turned out already to be have invented by others. Unfortunately, I suffer from attention disorder so I can't count trumps. So if you want to play with me, it is probably a good idea to bid natural and let me use transfers. (Now you know why I'm against rating).

Brought up with stone-age ACOL and various wicked club systems, I now play SAYC or 2/1 or whatever partners want. I prefer not to do any signalling except for a count signal on partners opening lead.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#43 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-July-01, 17:40

my name is jimmy and i'm from louisiana... i'm 53 (that's 49 in internet years :P )

i started playing bridge a longgg time ago... my first partner was a self-proclaimed expert (know the species?) who had played some tournament bridge... he played, and taught me, a short club system... i was always a good card player, but knew nothing about bridge

then i took a long chess-induced hiatus from bridge (even beat the louisiana state champ at our club, for what that's worth), then rediscovered bridge on the zone (i was there to play some chess heheh)

i got heavily involved in the game again, partly because of a fabulous partnership i formed at the time (don't ask)... from the zone to bbo, with a few stops here and there

bbo and all the people i've met here, online and off, are fabulous... i look forward to meeting many more of you in the years to come
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#44 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-29, 23:31

Hi, I'm Elianna (elianna on bbo, isn't that easy?). Like a few others here, I'm a junior, but not for long, unfortunately (my time ends in late January). I learned bridge about 8 years ago from my grandparents, and I honestly don't know what system I learned (it had 4-card majors, but 16-18 NT). I really started learning bridge 2 years ago, and having much fun with it since.

My self-rating seems to change, based on my mood, because honestly, how I play is based on my mood. Going strictly by bbo's stated policy, I'm advanced, but when I'm tired (which is most of the time) I feel more like a novice!

I heartily agree with the promoters of bridge camp.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#45 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2004-August-31, 16:28

I've missed this as well

I'm Mark, 21 year old Chemistry student from Bristol, Manchester or London depending on the time of year.

I like playing strong club systems, and am in the process of learning MOSCITO relays.

Non-bridge stuff, I like singing karaoke, playing on dancing stage euromix, and surfing.

#46 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-31, 18:27

Ok I'll dive in. Not sure why I've missed it either. My handle on BBO is the original sounding "Pclayton".

I'm Phil Clayton, 41 at this writing. Happily married to a bridge widow named Kim (answers to Kimi if you see her online kibbing me - Kclayton). We have three perfect children named ages 16, 13 and 11. The two oldest occasionally caddy at regionals and worked the Long Beach Nationals last summer. That was cool.

I've played since I was 13 - played in my first duplicate game in Havre, Montana at age 16 with my Mom (miss you) in 1980. Immediately caught the bug. Grade Point Average immediately plunged as high school physics textbook was replaced with old borrowed copies of the Bridge World and George Coffin's "Endplays" (tougher than physics anyway :P) . Spent the remainder of high school and most of college (University of Montana - Missoula) traveling around the great State of Montana playing in sectionals and getting schnockered with people 3x and 4x my age; surreal but fun :D :D .

In 1985, went to the Las Vegas Nationals and went 8-0 the first day of the Non-LM Swiss. Ended up 2nd in the event, and got all the gold points I needed for LM, which I obtained in '86. I think I'm still the youngest LM to come out of Montana.

In 1987, got married and the bridge, uh..stopped. Started career and raising the little ones. Currently, I am a moderately succcessful real estate developer of shopping centers in Newport Beach, CA. Always looking for new projects; if only to support my bridge habit.

Starting playing on-line in 1995 - first Imagination Network (remember that?), then OKB. Online meant I was home physically but not mentally. So, in '99 - gave up OKB for real life. Was one of the first on BBO with Inquiry and 2over1.

Have been pretty serious about the game since then. Have won about 15 regionals (mixed bag - some bracketed KO's (one Bracket I), some pair events).

At Long Beach Nationals, entered the 0-5000 Spingold with my Flight B Grand National team, since the combined MP total for the team was about 3,500, we were seeded #41 out of 41. Ended up 3rd losing to the eventual winners in the semis, but beating the #1 seed along the way. Got to use the screens and be in the same room as Meckwell, Jacobs etc..

I have two regular partnerships in real life. With Rai Osborne we play OC (Orange County / Osborne - Clayton / Obsessive-Compulsive) Precision Club with transfer responses, 10-13 NT, and a lot of gadgets. With Harvey Jaffe, I play 2/1 and 12-14 NT's with Keri responses and a limited 2 opener (4-5 losers +/- 19-21 HCP) and 2 as the GF opener. In both partnerships I play Overcall Structure, and Obvious Shift. I'm always interested in new ideas in bidding.

I have one unabashed goal in bridge - and that is to win a national open event; pairs or teams, I'm not picky :lol:
"Phil" on BBO

#47 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-October-25, 03:22

Well, I've seen Miami mentioned, so I'll start by saying that I live in (sort of) the "italian Miami" = Rimini, a beach and party town on the adriatic sea :-)

My name is Mauro (born 1967), and after having played competitive chess for over 20 years, I found intriguing to explore the world of bridge.

What really intrigued me was the interaction with a partner: playing chess you have the freedom to take all the decisions, playing bridge you don't, but you are enriched by the interaction with pard...

I started playing about 4 years ago, while I was living in California, and moved back in Italy 2 years ago: so part of my bridge background is US, but since I moved in Italy, I had the chance also to include some more "italian influences". :-)

I like to study bridge, and I do that a lot during train commuting to work: as a result, my skills have improved mostly in the area where study alone helps more: bidding.

I also study card play, tests, books, etc etc, but the rate of improvement there is much slower, as one not only needs to get concepts, but only playing many hands help.

Other interests: chess, jazz (Charles Mingus above all), alternative music (Tom Waits and Paolo Conte rule...), Tango dancing, european cinema (Fellini and Bunuel), sports (soccer and bike), motorbike, good wine :-)
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#48 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2004-October-25, 11:21

Hi,

I'm Justin Lall... I recently turned 18, and have played since i was 10. I love bridge, and have chosen to dedicate my life to it playing professionally. My name on BBO is jlall (original, i know).

#49 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2004-December-30, 16:13

First and most importantly of all: Warmest wishes to all of you as the end of 2004 rapidly approaches. May the new year bring peace, harmony, love, family, friends, togetherness, safety and security, warm fuzzies, and happiness to all of you.

My name is Don. I am 50 something, (the top of the head is getting grayer but, so far, it is still covered), married for 33 years, and have been working as a school psychologist in the South Bronx, New York City, USA for a long time. I started to play bridge in my teens (aka: the 60's) in the greater Boston area, earned my gold card when in my 20's, continued to play for a while, then then stopped due to a combination of factors including time, work, and family priorities. BBO is the vehicle that permitted me with the opportunity to resume playing against after having successfully gotten out of the rat race (aka: chasing masterpoints) many years ago. I think I have played in 4 or 5 tournaments in past 5 years or so.

I never really "learned" Std. Am. something that doesn't truly exist in the first place. I started out playing (if i might be so bold) Kaplan-Sheinwold, learned Schenken, played a card that combined the two systems, and then learned Precision around 1970. I can sometimes count to 13, more often to 14, occasionally not even to 10. My benchmark for what truly constitutes being an expert is a family member who, IMO, is a superior player when he has time to play. I am not an expert nor do I anticipate ever becoming one according to my criteria or BBO's in the near future (I don't play live bridge), but I love this game and have some of my own opinions or approaches to bidding. I dislike strong NT systems because I feel bored ('outta my mind'- sorry Ben, couldn't resist) when playing them: much too easy to compete against. I strongly believe that people should select a system with a purpose in mind as different bidding (and defensive) systems function differently and accomplish different things. I don't believe that there are right and wrong bids per se, but Instead I believe that the partnership needs to establish what is or is not the correct bid for the partnership. Barring that, then one can fall back on "default agreements". I also strongly believe that, for a partnership to be successful, both members need to be willing to work at it and to have a similar degree of commitment to the partnership. I am notorious for being able to go down 1 or 2 tricks at times when the field is making overtricks, but I can usually hold up my end of the partnership reasonably well when awake. I gave up hero worship at the bridge table a long time ago.

My goal when playing online is to be involved in a game that is competent but, more importantly, where everyone involved enjoys the game and feels that they have played well. I love to play against "stars" especially with one of my two regular partners on BBO. Please don't reject me because I advertise my skill level as advanced. There are some who think it should be higher, and there are some nights when terms such as novice or moron enter one's mind. I also love to play with people from certain countries where I know some words in their language and try with limited success to speak their language. I might even learn a word or two.

The people on BBO, especially the members of this Forum, are a special group, Where else can people from every corner of this planet come together, meet, form friendships (if not more), say good morning/ good day, say "I care", goodnight, etc. flash little red Hearts to each other (or diamonds, clubs or spades), and share life and enjoyment with people half a world away?

I am impressed with the levels of knowledge, information and bridge skills that so many members of this Forum appear to have. More importantly, I am very impressed with the fact that so many people have shared so much information, and have discussed so many issues and expressed differing opinions without denigrating, minimizing, or disrespecting the opinions, viewpoints, and questions of others regardless of skill level. Thank you all for showing me how much I need to learn: all of the new (to me) information has sent me flying to as many web sites as I can find.

Forgive this prattle. Maybe some day I'll actually start a thread of my own. I have a couple of topics in mind. Usually, when I have something to contribute, someone else has already said it. Anyway, I have often been told that, when someone wants my opinion on something, that person will tell it to me!

BBO Rules! There is none higher.
"Be excellent to each other, and party on dude!"
Or, if you prefer, "live long and prosper."
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#50 User is offline   tinywingz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2005-January-03, 14:13

testing
We are all in a gutter. But some of us are looking at stars.

#51 User is offline   Clinch 

• PipPip

Posted 2005-September-05, 17:07

Peter, 46, ENTP, Brit living and working in New York.

I've been playing bridge for about 22 years, having spent a year ordering up old copies of 'Bridge Magazine' from the Bodleian Library stacks in my last year at university.

I played a lot of FTF bridge in UK until I moved to US in 1998. A few small national achievements in UK (English Mens Pairs, South of England Pairs, EBU Autumn Congress Teams). In the UK majors furthest I have reached is rd 5 of Gold Cup, Crockford's final once, Hubert Phillips quarter final once.

Since moving to US have played almost exclusively online at OKBridge, and in some Nationals. Best finishes 26th in mixed pairs in Reno, 24th in open pairs in Pittsburgh. Kibitzed Fred at Anaheim, when we both had streaming colds and Bridgebase was still Offline - we shared cough candy (yeah, like he remembers that).

Peter.
Peter Clinch.
Hove, UK

#52 User is offline   TheoKole 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Strategy Games, Reading, Weightlifting, Skiing, Singing

Posted 2005-October-02, 09:07

Hi, my name is Theophilos Spyros Kolettis (see if you can say that name fast three times ;) )
I go by the name of Theo and have a user name of TheoKole on BBO.

I grew up and lived in Vancouver, Canada before I decided to emigrate to Greece about 5 years ago, presently I live on Corfu Island, Greece (between Italy and mainland Greece) and am 35 years of age.

I am relatively new to BBO, online bridge and bridge playing in general. Although I learned the basics of the game as a child from my father and uncle, I started playing in our countries league games about 18 months ago. I have been a member of this forum and have played on BBO for about 5 months.

In general I have found this forum and BBO to be very helpful in helping me improve my game, and the different points of view have been inciteful, funny sometimes and intellectually challenging. (Even the points of view that I disagree with ;) )

Thank you all and I hope to see you at the tables.

Cheers,

Theo

#53 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2005-October-02, 11:41

Winston Munn or winstonm on BBO. 7 1/2 in dog years. Have learned that crow and humble pie go best with fava beans and a nice chianti. Livin it up at the Hotel Oklahoma....what a nice suprise....if you're in disguise....

Have yet to win a world junior championship, but have hopes of reincarnation unless it takes me to Plano - LoL.

Winston
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#54 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-October-09, 14:09

Don't know why I'm doing this now...actually I do, the alternative is working out what a Klein Four group is.

Mike Bell, 20. Played a little bit at school, started duplicate about 3 years ago. Doing Maths at Warwick University, but the quantity of bridge played hasn't really helped with that. Hopefully will get picked for the England U25 team this year, but I only have a slightly greater chance of winning a world junior championship than Winstonm :P Bit of a bidding nut - I've always found bidding (and lead) problems to be much more interesting than the play of the cards, if I had my way we would just give the remaining 51 cards to GIB or DF to sort out! I'm usually up for playing an interesting system - I've played a little bit of Relay Precision, MOSCITO, Tresboof Forcing Pass, WJ05, Echognome's Strong Diamond, Nightmare/Millennium Club and several different versions of Transfer Walsh. Currently playing Acol (eugh) in my two stronger partnerships, and messing around with a Welland-Fallenius style system with my partner at university (that's 14-16 NT, all 11-13 or 17-20 bal hands open 1, transfer responses to 1 with completing the xfer showing the 11-13 NT, with both minors open 1 and hope partner responds 1 so you can tell him which of your minors is longer! PM me if you want to know more B) )

Just back at uni, where I am putting off doing Maths by playing Lacrosse, Netball, Badminton and Bridge Club stuff - our early recruitment drive led to 5 tables of bridge and 2 tables of minibridge today, let's hope we can keep most of them coming!

#55 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2005-October-13, 07:49

That's impressive. We managed 2 tables of each at our first session (Bristol University).

Still, it's quality, not quantity that's important.....

#56 User is offline   Blofeld 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:mathematics, science fiction, Tolkien, go, fencing, word games, board games, bad puns, juggling, Mornington Crescent, philosophy, Tom Lehrer, rock climbing, jootsing, drinking tea, plotting to take over the world, croquet . . . and most other things, really.

Posted 2005-October-13, 07:51

While we had about sixteen tables at our first session of the term.

Can't quite hope to keep the numbers that high, but still ...

#57 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-October-13, 07:55

Don't know why I'm doing this now...actually I do, the alternative is working out what a Klein Four group is.

Hope you found out:

If not, it's the Abelian abstract group on four elements that is isomorphic to the finite group C2 x C2.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#58 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2005-October-23, 13:29

Gerben42, on Oct 13 2005, 01:55 PM, said:

Hope you found out:

If not, it's the Abelian abstract group on four elements that is isomorphic to the finite group C2 x C2.

I remember I was suposed to understand that, but I was never able sadly.

#59 User is offline   guus 

• Pip

Posted 2005-December-06, 22:34

Hi, I live in Cagayan de Oro, Philippines and looking for people to brige with.

#60 User is offline   ready_i_am 

• Pip

Posted 2005-December-30, 21:25

I LOVE this game so much that you can say that it's an addiction !!!

Happy New Year form Doug in Canada.

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users