• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead against 2H

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-August-16, 15:38

This is probably boring and obvious, sorry about that.

What should I lead?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-16, 15:53

I will try a h but in general hate to lead trumps.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-August-16, 16:09

I'm leading a trump.

I think it is clear at mps to do so, and I would reluctantly do the same at imps.

The lead is unlikely to blow a trick in the suit immediately.....far more often than not, what it does is blow a tempo. But every other suit I own is even more dangerous....in each of the other suits my lead, if wrong, may blow both a trick (or more) and a tempo.

The auction sounds normal, so our objective is merely to do as well or better than most defenders, and we aren't trying to get a plus...tho we won't reject any pluses that come our way :P

In terms of imps, well, we would ordinarily take chances to get a set, but I don't see any lead that offers a discernable advantage in that regard. My closest second choice is a small diamond, but that is a suit in which dummy rates to have length and thus J9x is a hopeless lead most of the time.

If I were in desperate need of a good board, and playing with an understanding partner, I'd think about the spade A.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-August-17, 01:20

Lead a H. There is little option for this as I hate leading from a Jack; you cannot lead away from the AQ or the club A. This applies to Imps and Mp
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-17, 09:16

Yes, a heart. I would feel unlucky if we blew a trick (void opposite KQTxxxx for instance).
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-August-17, 09:27

Heart for me also, but I lead trumps a lot. Leading from (or cashing) an ace is not on the radar, and I don't really like leading from this diamond holding, so my personal tendencies aside, a heart is all you have left.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#7 User is offline   farrnbach 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-17, 09:29

I would lead a H, ok this may give a free finesse and it looks as a 6/2, 5-2 H fit for o, so this may blow a trump trick

Leading S is out of question and Clubs may also be expensive. i think it's the least of all evils

#8 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-August-20, 01:26

A diamond isn't too bad, hopefully pard has the king or queen and declarer has the ten, and pard will get in before me and lead through it.

However if I had jack-empty, it would be hoping for too much from pard to lead the suit so I would probably try a trump.
I Transfers

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-August-20, 19:45

View PostQuantumcat, on 2011-August-20, 01:26, said:

A diamond isn't too bad, hopefully pard has the king or queen and declarer has the ten, and pard will get in before me and lead through it.

However if I had jack-empty, it would be hoping for too much from pard to lead the suit so I would probably try a trump.

No, a D is a terrible lead. I would rather lead my Ace.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-20, 20:22

put me down for a trump as well. I have no ruffing values, and I don't want to blow any tricks. I agree with mikeh that A of spades is my second choice if I'm feeling swingy.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users