• You cannot reply to this topic

Is it logical alternative ?

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:05

IMPS

Is 2 a logical alternative, if there was no UI at the table (East is an expert player, west is a worldclass player if that matters) They are not regular pdship though.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:06

No I don't think so.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#3 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:07

No

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#4 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:19

I would also say no.
Michael Askgaard

#5 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:22

View PostMrAce, on 2011-January-02, 16:05, said:

Is 2 a logical alternative, if there was no UI at the table (East is an expert player, west is a worldclass player if that matters) They are not regular pdship though.

2 is a logical alternative provided he immediately asked for an undo if available and corrected his call to 2NT :)
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:36

I might bid 2, especially at matchpoints. AKJxx KQxxx xx x is well above a minimum, but anything above 2 will be a struggle.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-January-02, 16:43

View Postgnasher, on 2011-January-02, 16:36, said:

I might bid 2, especially at matchpoints. AKJxx KQxxx xx x is well above a minimum, but anything above 2 will be a struggle.

Was imps, i added it to the original post now.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 17:05

if course it's not.

did his partner bid stop 2 hearts or something? i can't see how otherwise his partner can show extras on this auction to create a UI situation.

#9 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2011-January-02, 17:08

No.
Chris Gibson

#10 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-02, 21:25

IMPS

Suppose instead that we had been given this auction. I suspect everyone would be focusing on whether East should have bid 3N instead of 2N. Any mention of 2 as an alternative to 2N would likely be met with ridicule.

Misplaced ridicule, I think, but that's the reality I would expect.

#11 User is offline   Poky 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-03, 11:57

I assume expert opener.
With 5413 opener will pass always.
With 5431 opener will always double.
With 5422 opener will double in 80% of cases (passing the other 20%).
Therefore, 2 must show 5 hearts, since 64(21) hand are in 2/double/pass domain.
But, if opener has 5 hearts, should he always bid hearts? I don't think so.
With 5512 opener will bid 2 mostly, but this shape is highly unlikely.
With 5521 opener should be inclined to double (correcting diamonds to hearts), except when holding minimal hand or bad spades (which we know, due to lack of minor-suit values, it is not a case).
With 5530 opener will reasonably enough be afraid to double and will bid hearts practically always.
Therefore, a maximal balancing hand would be: AKxxx-KQJxx-xxx-void. Even with a little as AKxxx-AKJxx-xxx-void opener should bid an invitational 3 (or double, 6 controls are good in defense even with a club void).

I'm not sure that bidding 2 has a negative expectation, therefore, it should be a logical alternative.
With K8xxx in my hand (instead of K98xx), 2 would have probably been the best bid (3NT virtually unmakeable, 2M better than 2NT).

#12 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-03, 14:01

As I play X over 2C for most good hands,
no game likely so is 2S better than 2N? Yup, I think so.
Opposite partner's min shapely MM, all my minor honors wasted.
Where are tricks? Partner's min has 5-solid spades?
5-solid hearts? 5-sure tricks total with entry?

#13 User is offline   tolvyrj 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-03, 14:29

I cant see how 2S could be an alternative, prd has bid twice with his own hand and there is 12 rock solid points in u hand. Ok if prd is distributional and very weak 2S is correct, but that is lottery not bridge. 2Nt shows we had something we r not suppose 2 have if u look our first pass, but it also tells that we dont have much support for majors.
What it comes 2 play at least we know how has the face cards in defence.

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-January-03, 15:21

View PostPoky, on 2011-January-03, 11:57, said:

I assume expert opener.
With 5413 opener will pass always.

Incorrect statement. It depends on his strength.

You also forgot the 6-5 hands where you actually has a legit fit. Disagree also with the 6-4 hands, bidding 2 is reasonable in some of the 6-4 hands but rare. After all 2 bid informs u have 6 which 5 of them pd already knows, while 2 shows 9 cards.

I also think you underestimate this hand a lot. Forget the 12 hcp hand acting like he has nothing and putting all his eggs in 1 basket, gambling, with the fear of "what if we get a minus score at 2 NT or 3 major", but this hand offers 4 solid tricks unless pd void in and even then sometimes. How many invitation hands offer 4 solid tricks letalone bidding 2 which can be offering from 0 to 2 at most tricks (2 being extremely generous for that bid most of the time)

Here is what pd had.

4 played at other table. However overcaller had AKJx and short 4315. Bidding 2 won 6 imps.

#15 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-January-03, 15:26

What was the nature of the unauthorised information?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-January-03, 16:30

View PostRMB1, on 2011-January-03, 15:26, said:

What was the nature of the unauthorised information?

Complicated. The player in other room (who has a world and european champ title) was extremely unhappy with the guy who passed and just bid 2 in a team event. And showed me some other hands where there was inconsistency of the same player in same match. But he is ( the unhappy player) my very close friend and my former partner. I may not be as objective as i want to be, so i just told him i will ask the hand in exp section.

Lets say mentioning UI information was not necessary and was a bad choice on my end.

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-January-04, 05:14

View PostMrAce, on 2011-January-03, 16:30, said:

Lets say mentioning UI information was not necessary and was a bad choice on my end.

I think "bad choice" is an understatement. This forum is read by lots of people. How would you feel if you read this thread, recognised the hand, and realised it was about yourself, or your partner, or one of your teammates?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-January-04, 14:38

View Postgnasher, on 2011-January-04, 05:14, said:

I think "bad choice" is an understatement.

If thats the case, i am sure forum admins will contact me/warn me/edit/delete.

View Postgnasher, on 2011-January-04, 05:14, said:

........ This forum is read by lots of people. How would you feel if you read this thread, recognised the hand, and realised it was about yourself, or your partner, or one of your teammates?

If it was about me, i wldn't give a cent, because i am one of those who doesn't care what people think as long as it is NOT true ;) Actually i can say more about this if i believed your intention was to acknowledge me how sensitive these topics can be. But i don't believe thats the case, since u had other options to acknowledge me, instead of stirring the pot. :)

I think u shd contact to a forum admin if u believe "bad choice" confession was an understatement and that i had deeper and malicious intend when i posted it. :)

EDIT: By the way, i just checked the entire deal, 4 is makeable, and 3 NT was cold with Qxx on.( 5 +4 ) So this alone clears the player for any suspicion imo.

#19 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-January-04, 14:56

IMPS
1MO: 2N = 10, 3N = 9, 2 = 5. Hence I think 2 is a logical alternative. Without knowing opponents' agreements or the nature of any alleged UI, further comment is speculative. If attention is drawn to a possible infraction, you should call the director. If not, then In America, I'm told, you can report suspicions to a recorder, instead.

#20 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-January-04, 15:18

I think 2S is a reasonable call, although 2NT is more normal. But it's not obvious we are getting to game anyway, what's wrong with the auction 1S 2C P P 2H P 2NT P 3H P 3S all pass? Game is no picnic on the actual hands as it is.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users