BBO Discussion Forums: 1 bidding problem, 1 play problem - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 bidding problem, 1 play problem

#21 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-October-21, 07:18

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear: I didn't name that thread to ask you about the decision, I was talking about opps bidding 4 over 4. I quoted jlall mostly to illustrate that the better the opps, the looser they become in bidding 4 over 4. But OK, going into details:

In the first auction opener already bid 1 telling partner of 5 spades yet many experts would routinely bid 4 over 4 with pretty much every 6-4 they have (and was worth opening). Note that if the 1NT contains 3 cards in a limit raise he would definitely bid 4 over 4 so opener is catering to the case where 1NT has 2 card support.

In the second auction it is the first chance to bid spades and the diamond bidder could have between 0 and 4 spades and will definitely not bid spades with the favourable case of 3-4. I disagree with you that in this case you need substantially better/longer spades than the first case to bid 4.

So overall I think we differ on the question what class of hands the 4 bidder will hold. I think it changes the parameters of the 5 level pull a lot. And I suggest we agree to disagree :).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#22 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 08:04

Not sure if its because the new forum format, but trying to understand Rayner's arguments gave me a headache.

Did he suggest any other action rather than double 4?

#23 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 09:52

View PostFluffy, on 2010-October-21, 08:04, said:

Not sure if its because the new forum format, but trying to understand Rayner's arguments gave me a headache.

Did he suggest any other action rather than double 4?

No, I suggested that opener should haver removed the DBL to 5.
I would always dbl with the given hand 4, but I would not pass with opener's hand. (neither would I have opened 1, but the vast majority would. I explained that in a previous post)

Rainer Herrmann

#24 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 14:17

Ah, I missed there was a partner's hand avaible, he has a close decision high ODR but low power.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users