#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-October-18, 10:33

Axx Jxx Axx QJ10x

MP again

Partner (who opens light 11-counts) opens 1 and your RHO overcalls 1.

Part I:

What do you bid? Seems like double, 2, 2NT, 1NT, 3NT, or 2 (limit+ with support) are options.

Part II:

If you opt for 2, Advancer bids 3 and partner bids 4. What is this new development?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-October-18, 11:03

Part I: At the risk of wrong siding, I will bid 1N the first round. 2 looks very wrong at MPs.

Part II: Partner's 4 should be a 5-6, and I am 100% sure your idol Kokish would agree. With a minimum 5-6 partner might open 1, so I would expect the diamonds to be a lot better than the hearts. void, Qxxxx, KQJxxx, Kx. I pass. Furthermore, partner can cue of 4 or 4 if interested in higher things.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-18, 11:13

1. Vulnerability would be nice, but I would bid 2 in any case. I think this is safer than lying about the diamond fit and risking partner overcompeting. 1N, aside from wronsiding, seems to me to be taking underbidding at MP too far.

2. I pass. I disagree that partner could have done more (neither of 4 or 4 shows hearts) but my hand isn't all that great.

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-18, 11:47

I'd double, 5 over 4 because partner is sure to have 5+.

#5 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-18, 15:46

I don't mind 2, I agree with karlson that 1NT is both wrongsiding and underbidding.

Pass now, but I realise it is possible that partner has made a contextually empathetic cue bid which I don't understand.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-18, 16:30

Pass is possible if you really hate a limit bid in no trumps because of the potential wrong siding. Partner will bid again with most hands that can make game.

A bit more and the hand is perfect for 3 transfer to 3NT. Maybe 2 transfer to 2NT is worth considering as a 2-way bid either diamonds or trying to right side the NTs.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#7 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-18, 16:41

kenrexford, on Oct 18 2010, 11:33 AM, said:

Axx Jxx Axx QJ10x

MP again

Partner (who opens light 11-counts) opens 1 and your RHO overcalls 1.

Part I:

What do you bid?  Seems like double, 2, 2NT, 1NT, 3NT, or 2 (limit+ with support) are options.

Part II:

If you opt for 2, Advancer bids 3 and partner bids 4.  What is this new development?

I'll try 2nt.

pass 4h.

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-October-20, 06:11

I bid 4, which was taken as 6-5. In our system, 4 after diamond agreement would be kickback, but I felt that pursuing a 6-5 in competition was much less utilitarian than showing heart values for purposes of a diamond slam, a much more likely scenario, I thought. Maybe I need to take the charge on this one.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-20, 06:44

View Postkenrexford, on 2010-October-20, 06:11, said:

I bid 4, which was taken as 6-5. In our system, 4 after diamond agreement would be kickback, but I felt that pursuing a 6-5 in competition was much less utilitarian than showing heart values for purposes of a diamond slam, a much more likely scenario, I thought. Maybe I need to take the charge on this one.

If you had mentioned that you play kickback but have no agreement about this sequence, I would have answered keycards to 4.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users