• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you find the slam?

#21 User is offline   RichMor 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-15, 12:51

NickRW, on Oct 15 2010, 10:50 AM, said:

Well, it seems to me that 3 over 2N needs to be forcing to stand a chance of dealing with this, given the conditions imposed by the OP.  I thought 1x-1M-2N-3M was forcing, choice of games for all but beginners - why should this be any different?

Agree.

#22 User is offline   2Macchiato 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-October-15, 19:05

Most normal people would be passing 2N through weakness. Therefore 3D is very much forcing - partner can easily co-operate with a cue bid.

Alternatively 2N as a strong (18-19 balanced) fit raise (good honour support) and 3N as a value bid with no ambition in diamonds (e.g. xxx/xx/Jx types) balanced 18-19 is perfectly reasonable agreement.

#23 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2010-October-15, 19:32

If I was allowed to use my strong club system, Larry and I would need to book an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn to complete bidding the hand.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#24 User is offline   Viren169 

• PipPip

Posted 2010-October-16, 02:40

We have all been in silly 3N contracts when game/slam elsewhere is on.

However, how about something like this...

1C 1D
2N 3D (F2G)
3H 4C (Cue bids)
4N 5D (1 key card)
6D

How bad can slam be?!?!

BR
Viren

#25 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-16, 11:31

What's my C-splinter bid over 2N? I try that.

#26 User is offline   Harlan 

• Pip

Posted 2010-October-29, 21:08

Play ALL transfers over an 18-19 2N rebid. There is virtually no hand you can't show. Here, after 3-3, responder should be showing 6+ good after not passing 3. With 5+ & 4M, South just transfers to the 4-card major. Playing ALL transfers also lets you play in 3 if needed.

There are only two transfers that opener can decline:

1.) 1x-1y // 2N-3, the transfer to 4 maybe declined. However, if responder still bids 4, that is to play.

2.) 1x-1 // 2N-3. Since responder can have only 4 along with 4, opener should only bid 3 with 4+. Else, opener bids 3N.

After this discussion, there is probably a third time the transfer might be declined. Namely, 1-1 // 2N-(3 or 3) where opener only accepts the transfer to the major with 4-card support. I just never thought about this sequence since we often by-pass 1 to bid our major unless we have EXTRAS.

[How to show (5+ & 4) OR (5+ & 4+) are exercises left to the reader. :P ]

#27 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-30, 00:22

This looks like another disaster for short club that has shown up on the forums.

After opening 1d......getting to 6d seems easy.

#28 User is offline   dellache 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Children, family, job. Then a few minutes remain to play Bridge.<br>

Posted 2010-October-30, 01:28

I'd be in 5, playing short Club. We start 1 3, showing INV Hand w/ 6 good diamonds. Finding the slam would have been too difficult, no way for us to find the perfect match afterwards.
FD

#29 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-30, 09:50

View PostNickRW, on 2010-October-15, 09:50, said:

I thought 1x-1M-2N-3M was forcing, choice of games for all but beginners?

Not sure if I understood you correctly, all experts I know play 3 relay for finding out what game to play, and use 3M for stablishing trumps start cuebiding and look for slam.

#30 User is offline   altane 

• Pip

Posted 2010-October-30, 14:02

3!d always forcing +5 card

#31 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-October-30, 22:39

Transfers are, imo, the best method for advancing over 2N rebids, altho forms of wolff are not bad either. i think it silly to suggest S commit beyond 3N....just because we open 1 on 4432 doesn't mean that 1 denies, say, KJx KJx Ax KQJxx.

Playing transfers, one might well bid 3, transferring to 3 (which is a mandatory transfer since responder may be passing...see how transfers gain over 'rebid is forcing'?) and then bid 3N, showing some doubt about 3N. North now has at least some chance of doing the right thing. But, having said that, I don't see that it is clear for either player, in real life, to avoid 3N playing these methods (and since I like these mathods, I am not going to complain....every method ever devised has hands that don't work, and so this is one...big deal).
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#32 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-31, 06:10

View Postmikeh, on 2010-October-30, 22:39, said:

Transfers are, imo, the best method for advancing over 2N rebids, altho forms of wolff are not bad either. i think it silly to suggest S commit beyond 3N....just because we open 1 on 4432 doesn't mean that 1 denies, say, KJx KJx Ax KQJxx.

Playing transfers, one might well bid 3, transferring to 3 (which is a mandatory transfer since responder may be passing...see how transfers gain over 'rebid is forcing'?) and then bid 3N, showing some doubt about 3N. North now has at least some chance of doing the right thing. But, having said that, I don't see that it is clear for either player, in real life, to avoid 3N playing these methods (and since I like these mathods, I am not going to complain....every method ever devised has hands that don't work, and so this is one...big deal).

Yes, having methods to show diamond length doesn't help much when the key feature is the club shortage.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#33 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-31, 06:54

View Postmikeh, on 2010-October-30, 22:39, said:

...... altho forms of Wolff are not bad either.....

I thought Wolff is only used after:
1m - 1M
2NT

What are Wolff sequences ( do they really exist ) after
1C - 1D
2NT - ??
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users