• You cannot reply to this topic

Defense problem

#1 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-September-06, 19:16

Scoring: MP

South opens 2NT and North bids 3H

First question is, do you double for a heart lead?

Whether you do or not, auction continues 3S 3NT 4S without interruption.

Suppose you double, partner leads the 10 of hearts, what is your plan?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#2 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-06, 19:26

Obviously I don't double for a heart lead, I have AQ32 of hearts.

Suppose I double? Do you mean I did make the bad lead-directing double, or I made a completely insane double of 4?

Anyway, I didn't double at any stage so I abstain, thanks.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#3 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 21:11

is this message board really just filled with a bunch of trolls?

How much of an insecure (person) do you have to be to chime into threads just to demean the maker of the thread. Even the good players who post here, grow the ***** up and act like human beings, f&^#.

partner leads the 10 of hearts against 4S. whats the plan?

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2010-September-07, 07:13

Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#4 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 21:35

Too funny.

Look, the BBO forums are a great resource, there are a number of very good players who post here. But while this sort of thing goes on - everyone tells you something and you keep posting back to say you are right and everyone else is wrong - you won't be treated with much respect.

In another post you said you have only been playing for 18 months. That is good, nothing wrong with that, but in that case why not use the forums to learn, instead of using them to tell everyone how right you are? There is no shame in admitting you still have a lot to learn at this stage of your bridge career.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#5 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 21:49

655321, on Sep 6 2010, 10:35 PM, said:

Too funny.

Look, the BBO forums are a great resource, there are a number of very good players who post here. But while this sort of thing goes on - everyone tells you something and you keep posting back to say you are right and everyone else is wrong - you won't be treated with much respect.

In another post you said you have only been playing for 18 months. That is good, nothing wrong with that, but in that case why not use the forums to learn, instead of using them to tell everyone how right you are? There is no shame in admitting you still have a lot to learn at this stage of your bridge career.

show one post of mine where I have explicitly said I did the right thing.

I'm asking for input, not being a jackass.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#6 User is offline   lmilne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 23:00

This problem: 655321 is right, doubling with AQ32 will get you redoubled by good players for -730 or worse (although its all the same at matchpoints). Vs worse players, you give them a chance to show their spade support at a lower level, giving them an easier auction. You will also prevent partner from making the right lead (which could be a diamond or even a club) some of the time, and AQ32 in front of a 2NT opener is hardly going to create tricks much of time. Seems much more likely to set up tricks or give away a tempo.

If you want to ask about how to defend if partner had led the T after an uncontested auction, that's fine. But this is an alien problem, we would never have doubled, it's like asking what to do after forcing to game on the first round of bidding with an 8-count or something.

Other stuff: 655321 didn't post just to make fun of the OP, there are bad bids and bad plays posted all the time, people post on here to improve. He offered you good advice about a bid which I used to make and which I see 'busy' (no offence) players routinely make and routinely give away tricks.

About you denying you explicitly said the right thing: in the other thread you continued to put forward arguments against what literally everyone was saying. It was like there wasn't even a point to starting the thread. You said "Seemed right in this situation and was." and didn't seem to see the problem with it, and now you overreact when given good advice by a respected poster.

All this is said with the best possible intentions, with the hope of convincing you to be a better poster, but I fear it will fall on deaf ears.

#7 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-06, 23:16

Thank you for your input.

After a

2NT 3H
3S 3NT
4S

auction partner leads the 10 of hearts, what's the plan?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-September-07, 00:47

655321, on Sep 6 2010, 10:35 PM, said:

Too funny.

WD.

rduran1216 said:

show one post of mine where I have explicitly said I did the right thing.

Such a careful choice of words. No one is stupid enough to post a hand like your previous thread and say something explicit like "look you morons, I'm a great MP player because I read my opponent and got a top". A far better method is to put up a bunch of hands that happen to fit your reasoning to show that you are appearing to think objective, and not post any that support an alternative view.

Personally this kind of thing detests me, because it shows immaturity in your development as a bridge player. It doesn't frost me nearly as much as calling a senior poster (who no doubt has forgotten more about bridge than you have learned) a pussy and a jackass (that somehow got past the filters and will get edited (mark my words)).

As far as this hand in question, doubling 3 is pretty rich. What exactly are you catering for - K in dummy and a source of tricks somewhere else? I suppose once in awhile you will stop partner from making a bad lead, so I can't criticize it too much because I'm all for helping out pard. However, I've seen a lot of these MP - related lead directing doubles when partner does exactly as we ask, but we can't read the lead at all because it isn't a natural lead in the first place!

You don't mention if the 10 was covered. Don't you think this matters?.

In the end, I think you can come up with some reasonable constructions where partner has the K and the K/Q. I'll leave it to you to work out the details.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-07, 01:19

I filed a report, it's posts like this that give female cats their bad name.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-07, 01:26

Come on everyone, you all ruined a perfectly good abstention.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#11 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-September-07, 03:02

Agree with nice-Josh, Dbl is ridiculous so abstain!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#12 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-07, 07:17

Q1) absolutely not because I can't stand an XX

Q2) I win the A since it is MP and I see 17 HCP out of the 19 or 20 that are in not declarer's hand that means there is a good chance declarer holds the AK and will be able to pitch both of dummy's s if I duck.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#13 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-07, 09:54

rduran1216, on Sep 6 2010, 11:49 PM, said:

I'm asking for input, not being a jackass.

Matter of opinion.

You got input. You didn't like it. You responded like a jackass.

Who is really the troll here?
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users