• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Notice of Thread/Post Moderation A place where moderators describe action

#421 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-06, 10:24

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-March-06, 10:06, said:

Terrible taste but I've seen much worse from a few posters. And he even said later in the thread it was incredibly stupid of him to start that thread. I wouldn't think that thread comes close to a ban. The only other post I can recall off my head that I would have thought should get the poster banned is a couple years ago when someone tried to start a thread asking which ethnic group should be eliminated to combat global overpopulation. That was one of the only posts I've ever complained to the mods about.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#422 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-06, 11:24

I was not using that as a thread that is banworthy, I was using that as an example of his earlier work that was bad lol.

#423 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-06, 11:44

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-March-06, 11:24, said:

I was not using that as a thread that is banworthy, I was using that as an example of his earlier work that was bad lol.

Lol that's fair. I randomly skimmed 3 of his past threads and none were bad, just a coincidence I guess.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#424 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-06, 16:05

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-March-06, 10:13, said:

Then again, I don't think anything that I've done warrants a ban with the exception of a rather choice vindictive directed towards Vampyr which didn't result in anything, so what do I know...

Yes, I was dismayed that "loathsome diseased cunt" was not considered ban-worthy.

Ah well, what can I say but it takes one to know one.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#425 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-March-06, 17:49

View PostVampyr, on 2013-March-06, 16:05, said:

Yes, I was dismayed that "loathsome diseased cunt" was not considered ban-worthy.

Ah well, what can I say but it takes one to know one.

Few quick recommendations regarding this line of argument

1. The expression "takes one to know one" concedes that the original expression was correct.
It's usually a fairly weak response since you're admitting that the original expression is apt, but the individual you're conversing with has no need to do the same.

You might do better trying to develop your own insults. "Tosser" is always a good starting point. Alternatively, if you prefer to target class, you might consider building from "chav".

2. You complain about my use of this expression fairly often. I've only used this once. You've complained about my use of this statement on at least three separate occasions.
I admit to being somewhat confused regarding your complaints about the characterization.

You can hardly object to language that you yourself use and you've conceded that the characterization is apt.
I suspect that some form of masochism is ultimately to blame, but its hard to diagnosis this sort of thing over the internet...
Alderaan delenda est

#426 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-March-06, 18:37

View Posthrothgar, on 2013-March-06, 17:49, said:

I suspect that some form of masochism is ultimately to blame, but its hard to diagnosis this sort of thing over the internet...

LOL no, I just want to ensure that as many people as possible know what you said. I'd sooner have people despise you than see you banned.

As far as developing my own insults, I have no need to insult or swear at people. Well, perhaps that's not always true :) but I have sufficient command of English to insult people without resorting to calling them silly names. Or obscene ones.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#427 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-March-06, 18:46

View PostVampyr, on 2013-March-06, 18:37, said:

LOL no, I just want to ensure that as many people as possible know what you said. I'd sooner have people despise you than see you banned.

Interesting claim.
Completely contradicted by your earlier statement "I was dismayed that "loathsome diseased cunt" was not considered ban-worthy."
Interesting none-the-less

FWIW, I suspect that most members of the forums were able to make up their mind regarding my posting sometime during the previous nice I've been posting here.

However, i think we're learning a lot about you...
Alderaan delenda est

#428 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-March-06, 20:33

LOL if this thread gets locked where will we read about it?

#429 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2013-March-06, 21:07

I suppose if I had any sense I'd sit back and watch Vampyr self-destruct while trying to rewrite history. However I feel I should thank you that, apart from a few rather confused allegations, the coverage has been very fair.

If anyone wants to act as a vigilante and clean up the forum then I suggest they concentrate on eradicating cyberbullying. I can cite evidence of this to anyone interested.

I have no desire to continue my stouch with Vampyr but it's an understatement to say her vicious, unprovoked attack was no more than tactless.As regards my reaction let me tell you a story I find amusing. It concerns a dinner Winston Churchill attended at Lady Astor's home:

"After dinner Lady Astor presided over the pouring of coffee. When Churchill came by, she glared and said "Winston, if I were your wife, I'd put poison in your coffee.""Nancy"Churchill replied to the acid-tongued woman,"If I were your husband. I'd drink it."."

#430 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-March-07, 01:11

View PostScarabin, on 2013-March-06, 21:07, said:

I suppose if I had any sense I'd sit back and watch Vampyr self-destruct while trying to rewrite history. However I feel I should thank you that, apart from a few rather confused allegations, the coverage has been very fair.

If anyone wants to act as a vigilante and clean up the forum then I suggest they concentrate on eradicating cyberbullying. I can cite evidence of this to anyone interested.

I have no desire to continue my stouch with Vampyr but it's an understatement to say her vicious, unprovoked attack was no more than tactless.As regards my reaction let me tell you a story I find amusing. It concerns a dinner Winston Churchill attended at Lady Astor's home:

"After dinner Lady Astor presided over the pouring of coffee. When Churchill came by, she glared and said "Winston, if I were your wife, I'd put poison in your coffee.""Nancy"Churchill replied to the acid-tongued woman,"If I were your husband. I'd drink it."."

Posted Image

#431 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-07, 07:47

By establishing an account with the BridgeBase Forums (BBF) you agree that:

1. You will not engage in conduct or post any material that is defamatory, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Doing any of these is a good way to find yourself barred from the forums. The board should never go above PG-rated for any reason.

:angry:

#432 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-March-07, 11:59

I think this discussion has run its course.

#433 User is offline   inquiry 

• Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2013-March-08, 07:42

There was an attempt to start this above discussion up in a new thread with the same participants. I deleted that thread before it got going well. Like in a minute-to-win it, continued attempts might result in elimination. :rolleyes:

One other random post the General Bridge Discussion's "relay system" was deleted as being a personal attack unrelated to the discussion in the thread.
--Ben--

#434 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2013-March-17, 22:31

A thread where a new member accused another bbo member of being rude and a cheat, complete with screen shots presumably supporting both claims has been moved to a private part of the forum for review by abuse of the claims. Screen captures can be forged, but we do log chat so the evidence should be quick to check.

THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT WAY to report such things. An email with the moved info sent to abuse is much more effective and doesn't violate our forum rules. The post may come back with the player identifications cut (delete the images) so the discussion by members of what is and is not appropriate to post can continue.
--Ben--

#435 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-21, 02:08

The post about the time allotted in Express Free tournaments not being sufficient was posted in both General BBO Discussion and Suggestions for the Software. I removed the duplicate in the suggestions forum.

#436 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-21, 02:22

I moved several threads reporting software problems from Suggestions to BBO Support Forum.

#437 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2013-March-30, 08:53

work at home spam removed.. thanks to everyone reporting it.
--Ben--

#438 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-March-31, 13:29

How about moderating back where the bridge discussion forum is on top?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#439 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-31, 13:41

See the announcement I just posted.

#440 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-March-31, 16:28

you've gotta be kidding

• 44 Pages +