• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Notice of Thread/Post Moderation A place where moderators describe action

#401 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-17, 13:28

Moved the poll about canceling a team game entry from Simple Rulings to BBO Tournament Discussion, since the issue is very specific to the way BBO team games are operated.

#402 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-January-29, 10:00

Yesterday I removed two of the three new posts advertising bridgedailybulletins.nl, and locked the remaining one (since there was already a thread from the site owners last week). Today I removed one of the two threads asking when a hand from an old Aces on Bridge column was played.

#403 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-February-06, 12:09

Merged the post about Bob Brinig's passing into the RIP thread in the Water Cooler forum (although maybe it would be better to have a separate threads -- one for bridge players in General Bridge Discussion, and just use the WC thread for non-bridge people).

#404 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-February-24, 20:26

I merged the two thread on mandatory profiles into one.

#405 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-February-25, 10:11

Removed a thread from BBO Support Forum because the poster has an obscene username (he's also been banned from the forum).

#406 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-February-25, 10:23

Removed a thread in General Bridge Discussion that was a youtube bridge lesson. It contained a paid advertisement and seemed mainly intended to solicit subscribers, so it violates our policy on advertising.

#407 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2013-February-25, 10:27

There are two more in I/A and Interesting Bridge Hands fwiw.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#408 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-February-25, 10:45

Thanks, got 'em.

#409 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-February-26, 09:19

Moved the thread about Inquiry's misIry convention from General BBO Discussion to General Bridge Discussion. There's nothing BBO-specific about it.

#410 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-March-01, 16:10

Removed a thread titled "rules" in General BBO Discussion. It named several players who were rude to him.

#411 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-05, 12:51

Does anyone ever get banned on BBF? If so, I recommend to the mods that Scarabin be banned. Look through his volume of work, including his last awesome post to Vampyr that if he were her he would hope he would kill himself...

Seriously the guy adds nothing, constantly trolls and gets into flame wars, and says things like that. At least he's low volume I guess.

#412 User is offline   Scarabin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:All types of games especially bridge & war games.
    old bidding systems & computer simulation programming.

Posted 2013-March-05, 19:00

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-March-05, 12:51, said:

Does anyone ever get banned on BBF? If so, I recommend to the mods that Scarabin be banned. Look through his volume of work, including his last awesome post to Vampyr that if he were her he would hope he would kill himself...

Seriously the guy adds nothing, constantly trolls and gets into flame wars, and says things like that. At least he's low volume I guess.

I gather that you dislike me and I can live with that but why vent your spleen on the monitors? They have shown superior courage and judgment, and also tolerance to your own peccadilloes.

If you wish to be fair then I suggest you re-read(?) the topic starting at Vampyr's first post.

#413 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2013-March-05, 19:35

I just had a look at the thread, and as someone who makes a conscious effort to avoid flame wars wherever possible, feel the following:

1) Vampyr's first post, assuming no editing has taken place, could be at worst be described as lacking tact. It did not come across as offensive.

2) Scarabin's posts should absolutely warrant a ban. Suggestions of that sort have no place in any internet forum that I wish to be a member of.

#414 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-05, 20:06

View Postmr1303, on 2013-March-05, 19:35, said:

Vampyr's first post, assuming no editing has taken place, could be at worst be described as lacking tact. It did not come across as offensive.

There has been no editing, and I admit that it did lack tact. Sorry to all for provoking the venom that has offended so many.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#415 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-March-05, 20:37

View PostVampyr, on 2013-March-05, 20:06, said:

There has been no editing, and I admit that it did lack tact. Sorry to all for provoking the venom that has offended so many.

That venom is not your responsibility and you need not apologize for it.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#416 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-06, 03:48

View PostJLOGIC, on 2013-March-05, 12:51, said:

Just you and the ad spammers I think! But I agree wholeheartedly, messages such as this have no place on these forums.
(-: Zel :-)

#417 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-March-06, 09:35

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-March-06, 03:48, said:

Just you and the ad spammers I think! But I agree wholeheartedly, messages such as this have no place on these forums.

Haha, actually think I was never banned from BBF, only BBO, but I'm not 100 % sure. That and lurpoa make me think that maybe no one ever gets banned here.

I gather that you dislike me and I can live with that but why vent your spleen on the monitors? They have shown superior courage and judgment, and also tolerance to your own peccadilloes.

This is the moderation thread. I am making a suggestion to the moderators. If they choose not to ban you then fine, but this seemed like an appropriate place to bring it to their attention, and also could potentially spawn a discussion on whether people get banned, and for what, and how far they have to go. I suspect it's more on a case by case basis, but who knows, that could be a useful conversation to have.

I agree the mods in general do a good job, that is why I brought this to them.

#418 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-06, 09:56

Fwiw I think the post about 'I would kill myself if I was you' is worthy of a ban on its own, but I don't find most of his earlier 'work' that bad. He even defended Sheri against someone else's trolling insults in Fred's thread about a good play GIB made.

I have no problem with the general idea of people being banned although there should probably be a suspension first in most cases.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#419 User is offline   JLOGIC 

Posted 2013-March-06, 10:06

View Postlalldonn, on 2013-March-06, 09:56, said:

Fwiw I think the post about 'I would kill myself if I was you' is worthy of a ban on its own, but I don't find most of his earlier 'work' that bad. He even defended Sheri against someone else's trolling insults in Fred's thread about a good play GIB made.

I have no problem with the general idea of people being banned although there should probably be a suspension first in most cases.

http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry672654

#420 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2013-March-06, 10:13

My experiences suggest that it is quite possible for players to get suspended from the forums.

It has happened to me at least twice, both times for being rude to Al_U_Card during global warming threads.

FWIW, I think that Scarabin is an idiot, a troll, or perhaps both.
I didn't see his most recent posting (wish I had) but I don't think that his original posts warrant a ban.

Then again, I don't think anything that I've done warrants a ban with the exception of a rather choice vindictive directed towards Vampyr which didn't result in anything, so what do I know...
Alderaan delenda est

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook