Hand records, bridge mates etc

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2024-April-01, 12:12

Not a BBO Directing question.

Our 20+ table game is using shuffle deal and play until the dealing machine arrives.
Most players manage to get the hand records entered into the BridgeMates without a problem but there are often 2-3 missing.
If I'm running the game by myself and may not enter all the missing boards during the game, how do I do so after the game?

The BridgeMates shut off , is there a setting that will keep them active for xx time after the game ends?
Is there an option under ACBL Score?

Thanks
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-April-02, 09:19

I don't know the answer to this - I've never used the hand entry feature.

I wonder if there's a way on the control screen to show which hands have (not) been entered, so it can be reviewed say round 3 and the missing ones requested from the current players?

My guess (attempt in a test game FIRST!) is that if a score is deleted from BWS, then "the game hasn't ended" and the hand can be entered. Then the score can come back (or, if it's been entered into ACBLScor, if it doesn't happen, fine.)

But those are 100% guesses; check the manual or contact bridgemate support I think are your next options.

Old timey feelings here - reminds me of the "shuffle, deal and duplicate" in the Wednesday Night Shark Tank game when we needed two sections.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2024-April-02, 09:26

I can display which boards have not been entered and I ask certain tables to enter the records as the boards come around.
The problem is at the end of the game, if all boards were not entered ,the Bridge mates shut off. I will try to find something in the manual, or the ACBL Score instructions.

We are looking forward to having a dealing machine and then experimenting with web movements
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-April-11, 09:47

jillybean, on 2024-April-01, 12:12, said:

Not a BBO Directing question.

I've moved it to the Offline Bridge forum since it's not BBO-related.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-April-11, 16:26

jillybean, on 2024-April-02, 09:26, said:

We are looking forward to having a dealing machine and then experimenting with web movements

My suggestion is to lure whoever is responsible for blocking this investment towards the edge of a cliff and do the necessary thing :)

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2024-April-13, 07:27

pescetom, on 2024-April-11, 16:26, said:

My suggestion is to lure whoever is responsible for blocking this investment towards the edge of a cliff and do the necessary thing :)

The purchase is approved, each step in the process takes an exorbitant amount of time.
I should spend the waiting time reading up on Web Movements.
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-April-13, 14:48

jillybean, on 2024-April-13, 07:27, said:

I should spend the waiting time reading up on Web Movements.

I suggest lobbying your RA to commision a decent tournament management app instead.
Our players look for their next table, opponents and boards on their phone without looking at the TV or assuming the TD understands Web Movements or Arrow Switches or even a simple skip :)

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2024-April-14, 09:50

pescetom, on 2024-April-13, 14:48, said:

I suggest lobbying your RA to commision a decent tournament management app instead.
Our players look for their next table, opponents and boards on their phone without looking at the TV or assuming the TD understands Web Movements or Arrow Switches or even a simple skip :)

😁. Ive only encountered a TV , displaying the leaderboard in a Swiss while playing in NZ
North American bridge clubs seem to be very slow with the uptake of technology and advancements. No doubt cost is a major factor.
We are non sanctioned, non profit and are fortunate to be able to run our games and experiment as we see fit.
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2024-April-15, 09:28

Heh, she's (one of) the director, wanting to use the dealer to make two sets of boards and run better movements. Hard to do that off the TV :-)

But yeah, more automation would help. I am surprised though, that all that stuff is on the TV, but there's not enough room for a clock...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-April-15, 09:38

We had a director here who, pre-covid (she's now retired) used to set the clock to give a three minute warning when there were two minutes left in the round -- and then she would announce, as soon as the warning went off, "you should be moving for your next round". :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#11 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2024-April-15, 10:14

We are requested as TDs to "call the round at 2 minutes, but remember that they aren't *late* until the clock goes to zero". So she wasn't wrong. You *should* be moving for your next round. But if you're not quite ready yet, finish up and move :-).

#12 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-April-15, 13:11

mycroft, on 2024-April-15, 10:14, said:

We are requested as TDs to "call the round at 2 minutes, but remember that they aren't *late* until the clock goes to zero". So she wasn't wrong. You *should* be moving for your next round. But if you're not quite ready yet, finish up and move :-).

These things aren't written in stone here (except a maximum of 8 minutes per board without screens) but that is pretty close to my own self-determined rules: 17 minutes for 2, 22 for 3, 29 for 4. Four minutes earlier is the cutoff for starting the last board (if I manage to sport the delay).

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2024-April-16, 15:50

mycroft, on 2024-April-15, 10:14, said:

Who is "we", and requested by whom? Where can this request be found in writing?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2024-April-16, 15:53

pescetom, on 2024-April-15, 13:11, said:

These things aren't written in stone here (except a maximum of 8 minutes per board without screens) but that is pretty close to my own self-determined rules: 17 minutes for 2, 22 for 3, 29 for 4. Four minutes earlier is the cutoff for starting the last board (if I manage to sport the delay).

I remember a club game early in my career, before I became a director. As we were playing board 2 of 3, the "don't start any new boards" warning occurred. When we finished board 2, North took the cards for board 3 out of the board, saying "let's play it. She won't notice." :-(
--------------------

#15 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2024-April-16, 17:42

"We" as TDs, as mentioned, and I got it in some refresher training. I believe it came from the Local TD training they're giving people wanting to run the non-Championship Sectionals.

Not in writing? I've been being told that (or shown it, or...) my entire career.

Where are all the TD's duties, procedures, and practises in the ACBL written down? That's a very good question. The good news is that at least now they're making an attempt.

#16 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2024-April-16, 19:20

blackshoe, on 2024-April-16, 15:53, said:

I remember a club game early in my career, before I became a director. As we were playing board 2 of 3, the "don't start any new boards" warning occurred. When we finished board 2, North took the cards for board 3 out of the board, saying "let's play it. She won't notice." :-(

This is something I learnt early, grab the cards out of the board before you enter the score and then you won't have the board removed.
That along with, "it was a mechanical error Director" , I could go on.
(still learning)

#17 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2024-April-17, 10:31

Neither of which, of course (and of course, you know) is Legally Correct. Close, but not quite...and you know the correct counter to this, too, I'm sure.

I've said before, and will again, "if a club director gets 90% of the calls 90% right, the game will run Just Fine." The kind of obscure UI rulings and weighted score polling that get posted here? Are in the 10% - and even the closer ones, the world won't end on a few "not how I'd rule it, but not, you know, Wrong" adjustments (even auto-12C1d adjustments, much as I hate them) at the club. But what we're talking about here? Are what get the pairs following, or the opponents of the "it's always a mechanical error" players, to not come back.

Along with the "ruling revokes out of the 1997 Laws", "running a game with a 4-board sitout when there are better options" (or, depending on your players, "running the confusing [B]Howell Movement that goes way overtime, instead of what we Should Play [which has a 4-board sitout]"), "not calling the round until she's finished playing, whether or not she had to take 4 calls in the round and therefore she's the slow table", and the innumerable others.

A good club director does not have to be technically perfect or even legally perfect. They don't have to have tournament director-level skills in anything. In fact, at least three of the *best* club directors I've known are nowhere near TD quality, and they'd say it themselves. They just have to be Good Enough, and great at the other skills (which I - am getting better at, let's just say).

The joy of those pairs, though - when you see them do it (and let's say get their opening call in before going back to their score-em-up and partner-blaming wastes of time, so we can't pull it) - is to be at that table when it's time to call the next round and, if they haven't caught up, pulling the board before they can shenanigan. Or, in egregious cases, pulling the board *at the beginning of the round*, and telling them that if they get to it in time, you'll let them have it back. Strangely enough, whenever I've had to do that, they usually had time to get to that last board...

#18 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-April-17, 15:30

mycroft, on 2024-April-17, 10:31, said:

A good club director does not have to be technically perfect or even legally perfect. They don't have to have tournament director-level skills in anything. In fact, at least three of the *best* club directors I've known are nowhere near TD quality, and they'd say it themselves. They just have to be Good Enough, and great at the other skills (which I - am getting better at, let's just say).

The joy of those pairs, though - when you see them do it (and let's say get their opening call in before going back to their score-em-up and partner-blaming wastes of time, so we can't pull it) - is to be at that table when it's time to call the next round and, if they haven't caught up, pulling the board before they can shenanigan. Or, in egregious cases, pulling the board *at the beginning of the round*, and telling them that if they get to it in time, you'll let them have it back. Strangely enough, whenever I've had to do that, they usually had time to get to that last board...

The best club director I know is nowhere near legally perfect. But he helped get me into this mess the day he pulled a board on my slooow partner at the beginning of the next round, telling him that if he got to it in time, no problem. My eyes opened. For the first time ever my partner speeded up and I realised that a TD could do miracles even without being Perry Mason.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-April-18, 13:50

You can find the guidelines for running club games in the ACBL Club Directors Handbook

#20 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2024-April-18, 15:28

pescetom, on 2024-April-17, 15:30, said:

The best club director I know is nowhere near legally perfect. But he helped get me into this mess the day he pulled a board on my slooow partner at the beginning of the next round, telling him that if he got to it in time, no problem. My eyes opened. For the first time ever my partner speeded up and I realised that a TD could do miracles even without being Perry Mason.

Legally perfect? :)
We are running a non sanctioned 20+ table game of players with a wide variety of experience , some players play in sanctioned tournaments, some players have just come from the 'learn to play bridge' class, the majority of players I would call experienced social bridge players and club players. We are working to gently introduce the Laws to the players who are new to duplicate and correct the "Laws" the club players have learned along the way. Many of the "rulings" we make are not legally perfect but I hope in time they will become more so.
(still learning)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users