BBO Discussion Forums: Difficulty replying to forum posts - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Difficulty replying to forum posts

#41 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-February-27, 13:01

Still nothing? People are continuing to post blank topics..

#42 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-February-28, 07:19

I had a problem posting yesterday, for the first time since things got better: but I was replying to a series of quotes which may well have contained a non standard character. When I get onto my PC will check. The mikeh bypass of pasting it all into a single word post worked, as always.

#43 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-March-28, 19:48

Bump.

If this isn't going to be fixed can you at least post an announcement somewhere prominent describing the rigmarole that many people have to go through to post? Surely having new members even in your own support forum having their entire posts wiped only to never return must be concerning.

Fun fact.. I imported some tables from a mysqldump the other day, only to see the same ’ type symbols show up. Of course, I immediately realised I had deleted the lines that set the charset from the top of the file.. easy mistake to make; easy to resolve a couple of minutes later.

#44 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-March-29, 16:59

We are checking.

I'm sorry it took so long.

Thanks for nagging, Stephen -- and thank you everyone for the documentation work to help us replicate the symptoms.

#45 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-02, 14:54

diana_eva, on 2024-March-29, 16:59, said:

We are checking.

I'm sorry it took so long.

.. 2 months later, people are continuing to post blank topics never to be heard from again, Mike is continuing to scatter 'test' posts throughout the forum, and Knurdler has been encouraged to leave BBO and post at BridgeWinners instead.

Can we conclude you investigated and decided saving the forum wasn't worth the small amount of time?

#46 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-03, 15:38

smerriman, on 2024-June-02, 14:54, said:

.. 2 months later, people are continuing to post blank topics never to be heard from again, Mike is continuing to scatter 'test' posts throughout the forum, and Knurdler has been encouraged to leave BBO and post at BridgeWinners instead.

Can we conclude you investigated and deciding saving the forum wasn't worth the small amount of time?

Looks much like the accidental death of dealergib1 and promises of investigation :(
That was two years ago, this was six months ago... so far.

#47 User is offline   Swammerdam 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-June-11, 12:59

Something went wrong!
Service unavailable
The server is currently unable to access the page you requested, due to temporary overloading or maintenance operations. Please try again later.

Are you trying to get online and play bridge? Go to www.bridgebase.com and click on Click to Play or Watch Bridge.

If that is not what you are looking for, tell us what you were trying to do, and we will do our best to help you. Here is how you can contact us:

Click here to ask us a question.
Email us at support@bridgebase.com.
Visit the BBO Discussion Forums to see what other BBOers have to say.

#48 User is offline   Swammerdam 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-June-11, 13:02

Well, that post went through!

I've tried to post in another thread "Questions about Bidding System (within SAYC)"
and received the above error message 37 times.

My guess is that there is some "logical" reason why I can't post in that thread, but the error-message is uninformative.

#49 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-11, 13:50

If it is consistent, the reason is covered earlier in this thread. The workaround is to write your reply, but don't push submit; select the whole thing and cut it so it's ready to paste. Instead, submit a one-word message, like Test. Then edit it, paste in your message, and submit it then.

(The forum server is independently having other issues, where it crashes so you see that message just reading anything, even without submitting. That happens daily, but returns after a few minutes.)

#50 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-11, 17:01

What browser is everybody using to reply? I've been using Chrome on Windows 10 and can't remember having any real problem posting a reply.

#51 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-11, 21:06

johnu, on 2024-June-11, 17:01, said:

What browser is everybody using to reply? I've been using Chrome on Windows 10 and can't remember having any real problem posting a reply.

You’ll have a problem if you quote-reply my post :)

But yes, it doesn't affect when I write posts either, unless I quote anyone else who *is* affected (or copy and paste from somewhere). I presume some devices / browsers / extensions have some smart-quote filter applied, which makes them more likely to post funny characters than others. But there's clearly a non-negligible proportion of them around (and it's not them that's new, it's the way BBO no longer handles them.)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users