• You cannot reply to this topic

2C or 1H (or maybe 2NT) No hand editor warning

#1 User is offline   Frank_lol_ 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-January-30, 14:55

There’s no hand editor on mobile??????
S AJ6 H AKJ642 D A2 C AQ
You are on first seat at favorable vulnerability (Although I don’t know how that will matter)
What do you open at Imps?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-January-30, 15:05

Edit. I mistyped 2H. I meant 2C (thanks pescetom)I probably open 2C less frequently than most but I can’t imagine not opening 2C on this.

This is even though I play 2C 2H immediate second negative….denies an Ace or a King, and thereafter 3H is forcing! All that does is make me contemplate bidding 2N if he bids 2H.

Opening 2N is not only a distortion of shape (my 2N rebid after a 2C response is also a distortion but chosen after receiving a specific and informative response) but also grossly undervalues the hand. You have a GOOD 23. xxx xxx xxx xxxx gives you a play for game. Now, I’m missing it as well, but you’re missing it opposite Jxx Qxx xxx Jxxx as well…I’m not, since I will have shown 22-23 hcp.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2023-January-30, 15:18

2C
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-30, 15:18

View Postmikeh, on 2023-January-30, 15:05, said:

2H. I probably open 2C less frequently than most but I can’t imagine not opening 2C on this.

I assume you mean 2?
(I avoid 2C because around here that is 2 hearts :) )

#5 User is offline   Frank_lol_ 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-30, 15:21

View Postmikeh, on 2023-January-30, 15:05, said:

2H. I probably open 2C less frequently than most but I can’t imagine not opening 2C on this.

This is even though I play 2C 2H immediate second negative….denies an Ace or a King, and thereafter 3H is forcing! All that does is make me contemplate bidding 2N if he bids 2H.

Opening 2N is not only a distortion of shape (my 2N rebid after a 2C response is also a distortion but chosen after receiving a specific and informative response) but also grossly undervalues the hand. You have a GOOD 23. xxx xxx xxx xxxx gives you a play for game. Now, I’m missing it as well, but you’re missing it opposite Jxx Qxx xxx Jxxx as well…I’m not, since I will have shown 22-23 hcp.

The thing is, I HATE opening 2C with a long suit without 9 (9.5 with a minor suit) playing tricks. Give me the heart ten and I'll open 2C without a doubt. I guess this hand is still too good for a 1 level opening.

Or the hand does have 9 playing tricks?
1+5+1+1.5=8.5 (I can't force myself to count the heart suit as 5.5 tricks; It can makes anywhere between 4-6 tricks)

Edit: I guess the most important creteria is not whether I have enough tricks/points or not; it is whether I will miss a game if I open on the one level (and whether 2C will often leads to bad games)

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-January-30, 17:39

View PostFrank_lol_, on 2023-January-30, 14:55, said:

There’s no hand editor on mobile??????
S AJ6 H AKJ642 D A2 C AQ
You are on first seat at favorable vulnerability (Although I don’t know how that will matter)
What do you open at Imps?

(I love this hand)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#7 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-31, 02:46

2 always. The 'LBengtsson simple, but sometimes imperfect formula" why I open 2 here.

1. You have 23 points (too simple)
2. You have all four aces (a bonus)
3. You have 5.5 honor tricks (a essential requirement to open 2 imo)
4. You have a good suit, albeit without the ten (which might or might not help)
5. You have to feel optimistic with bidding these hands. (It's a bidder's game)
6. Partner could have the right cards to make game but passes a one-level opening (and then you will regret not opening 2)
7. Divide the remaining HCPs around the table so partner has in the region of 5-6 HCPs (Still feeling optimistic)
8. Kaplan & Rubens evaluator but it at 24.55 (and Edgar and Jeff knew more about hand evaluation than us lesser guys.)
9. How are going to bid it otherwise? (It's awkward without a 2 opening)
10. Jillybean loves this hand (And so do I, and that should be recommendation enough :))

#8 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-31, 03:08

2. There is a chance we will get too high. There is an argument for bidding this as a 24-25 balanced (or 22-23 balanced), but I'll just show my 6-card heart suit instead. The risk that the auction goes 1-a.p. is too high.

#9 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-31, 04:05

View PostFrank_lol_, on 2023-January-30, 15:21, said:

The thing is, I HATE opening 2C with a long suit without 9 (9.5 with a minor suit) playing tricks.

We all hate doing certain things in bridge (one of mine is 5-card overcalls at the two-level), but at some point you just need to accept that a hand is right for the action anyway. The inability to reduce bridge to a simple set of rules is part of what keeps us coming back.

Here you miss game way too often if you open 1H, and on a good day partner will even have the HT for you. :)

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-31, 04:57

Others have covered this, it's just too good not to open 2. Do you want to miss game opposite xx, Qxx, xxxx, xxxx or Qxxxx, xx, xxx, xxx ? You are the heart suit running or a club lead and the hearts playing for one loser away from making 3N also.

We have the complication that unless I show the hand as balanced, 2 is FG and even with that high bar I open 2 (we likely get into a Kokish auction).

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-02, 21:28

Playing 2/1: First choice: 2. Second choice: 2.
Playing Precision: First choice 1. Second choice: 1. Third choice: 1.
Playing Romex: First choice: 2. Second choice: 2.
Playing Acol: First choice: 2. Second choice: 2.
Playing MOSSO (which I'm trying to learn): 1 (5+ hearts (longest suit), 13+ points, unlimited, forcing). What happens next? I don't know I haven't got that far yet. :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users