Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Auto Pre-Alert

#1 User is offline   greenj 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-September-26, 17:30

When you have a convention card, add an additional 140 character data field called “pre-alert”. This is shown as a chat message from You->Table whenever new opponents appear (when you and your partner are using that particular convention card)

Two benefits: First, it’d save the pre-alerters a bunch of copy-paste clicking. Second, it avoids the situation where we’re trying to perform the copy-paste (or we’re momentarily away from keyboard) and by the time you get around to the pre-alert, the opponents have already made a bid (or two, if your partner always leaves the pre-alerting to you!)

#2 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-27, 14:16

One thing I have been doing is putting in the explaination BEFORE making the bid. That way, you don't have to worry about the opps making bids before you alert them.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-27, 16:07

Ah, but a Pre-Alert is something that happens before a bid.

It would be nice if there was something you could auto-trigger each round.

Having said that, putting it in Chat Manager (and having ChatManager open), or using one of the browser addons that allow you to auto-enter or near-auto-enter text, is probably "good enough".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   themarc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-September-28, 12:08

Agreed that the browser extensions work reasonably well for these pre alerts, as well as all the other alerts required, but an auto pre alert would save time. The real question is why ACBL and presumably other world organizations requires the pre alert in the first place for systems as commonplace as the big club universe, since all of the low level artificial bids are alertable anyway. Is it to give the opponents time to brush up on their esoteric CRASH-Suction-etc. defenses, and shouldn't they be required to pre alert those as well.

#5 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2022-September-28, 12:28

It sounds a good idea but looking at it from BBO's perspective: it's probably difficult to implement and will only be used by 10% of the people who use convention cards, so perhaps five people :)

And 99% of the people who would use are really good at pre-alerting anyhow.

So I suspect it is unlikely to happen.

Pre-alerts are not required in England and Wales as the system card provides all the information you need. In Scotland, you are required to pre-alert general methods that may not be alerted (no trump range, four- or five card majors, two bids). On BBO, of course, it would be polite to alert everything anyhow.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2022-September-28, 13:03

It is absolutely to ensure that the opponents have their opportunity to "brush up", as you say, on their defences. After all, "as commonplace as the big club universe" is one pair (to my knowledge, could be two) in all México; three or four in Calgary, which can have 100 tables playing on a Friday afternoon; and I expect to run into one or two in an average regional (maybe more than once, of course). And boy, do those "big club universe" people moan and complain when their opponents aren't on the same page in their defence, especially if it worked out in the overcaller's favour this time.

But it's also for the Polish Club pairs, the Swedish Club Pairs, the Unbalanced Diamond pairs, the Blue Club pairs - hey, what's your defence to Canapé openers? Are you sure partner agrees with you?, the "K/S 1&2, 4cM 3&4" pairs (and the "Precision when you're Vulnerable, Standard when you're not" Pairs, even if you're only playing boards 1&2 against them), the "1 NAT or 13-15 BAL, 1 NAT or 16-18 BAL, 1NT is 10-12" pairs,...Never mind the Multi pairs, the times that's allowed.

I agree, it would be nice if there was something there that would do it for you.

Sure, the bids are Alerted or Announced at the time (well, most of them). But explicitly, after the call is made and explained, they are not allowed to "brush up" on their, or even discuss a new, defence. And yeah, the same pairs that complain when the opponents get their defence wrong/can't explain their defence are 100% against letting them figure it out now.

The Pre-Alerts are there for a reason, and it's a good reason. You (and me, I had a Precision partnership for about 10 years, and Pre-Alerted EHAA back in the before times when that was Pre-Alertable) are soaking in it, and for you it's "obvious" to have your defence and know it well, because you spend all your time handling everyone else's defence. Same reason I know my weak NT defence, frankly, even though I see about as many of them as I do Big Clubs.

You may disagree with where they have put the Pre-Alertable line - I know I do. I wouldn't mind, frankly, if weak NT was Pre-Alertable; I'd get a lot fewer "One remembered they play Cappelletti against weak NT, but the other thought it was still DONT" auctions. But where they put it isn't wrong, even if it won't please everybody.

Of course you are allowed to ask their defence to Strong club, while doing your Pre-Alert. I don't see, though, given the number of different defences to pre-Alertable systems, why they should have to give them all to you without being asked, just in case you're playing one. The C&C committee seem to agree with me.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users