BBO Discussion Forums: Slam-zone auctions need to be different - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam-zone auctions need to be different

#41 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-October-12, 20:56

DavidKok, on 2022-September-23, 00:24, said:

No, the problem is the opposite. We understand you perfectly well, you just dismiss the responses. The issues you bring up are not vital enough to redesign a bidding system around, or even a slam try system. I do happen to have ways to change strain at high level, but the idea that our methods must prepare for weak suit slam issues as early as the 3-level is a poor one. Keep in mind partner doesn't know your suit is weak, but they do know (after control bidding and keycards) that they've just told you the contents of their hand. Every bid you reserve for 'I might not want to play in this strain' loses some other meaning - one that might be important when your suit is not full of holes.

I also think your RKC modification is a poor idea. At the 5-level the notion of captaincy is very relevant. Going back to cooperative bidding after asker-responder bidding is frequently a poor idea, especially for setting a suit at the 6-level. Requesting partner's input doesn't even solve most of these problems, instead it merely pushes them around. Why would partner have a good idea of the better strain, after they've just told your their distribution, controls and key cards? What more do you expect them to do?

If you want to discuss possible continuations over an RKC response I'd be happy to share what I play, though I think in general players of all levels focus far too much on their key card tools ("No you don't understand we play minorwood so we are experts") so most likely it is not worth going into detail.

Actually, you do not understand me.

I do not mean that slam auctions must be made different from other slam auctions. I mean that slam auctions must be different from game auctions.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users