BBO Discussion Forums: Trying to make a reasonable sacrifice - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Trying to make a reasonable sacrifice This keeps happening at IMPs

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-July-31, 19:58

Instead of maybe only -100 it was -500. Fortunately I wasn't alone. I appreciate maybe the EW bots may keep going another level. Maybe the North bot knows it but seriously - if you pass a double then partner sacrifices I'm not sure slam is on - happened twice in the same tourney to me and half the field (in this one) - EDIT correction only a few did it but it would have been a reasonable score even at MPs. The other one worked out better since only a few of us did it and it wasn't a bad sacrifice, even in 6. Simple programming/bidding logic. I know you will defend it and allegedly my bidding shows a monster. All these points magically appear at the 5 level

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-July-31, 20:49

Why would anyone defend it? Of course it's silly for 5 to show 29-30 points, and it's a bug that has been brought up in the past, but you can't change how GIB works. All you can do is check the description before you bid it, see it shows a silly hand, and give up on the idea of sacrificing.

(Or in this case, if you've decided you wanted to sacrifice at the 5 level, you can bid 4NT instead of doubling diamonds.)

#3 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2022-August-02, 04:47

The robots often seem to bid one more when I sacrifice too. That must be why.

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-02, 15:05

View PostDouglas43, on 2022-August-02, 04:47, said:

The robots often seem to bid one more when I sacrifice too. That must be why.

That's why you need to check almost every bid that you aren't 100% sure about. GIB has some out of this world interpretations of bids that any real bridge player would never think is possible.

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-02, 19:18

I don't really blame the North bot completely. Apparently my sacrifice said I had 25-30 points

Also its possibly a pre-emptive raise to 6, assuming that East would bid again

It could have been worse and the other hand worked out even better when it did it 6-2 undoubled :)

#6 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-02, 19:41

6C isn't crazy because South's bidding shows a hand that expects to make 5C - the double followed by 5C is really strong. The raise is catering for something like:

x
-
AKxxxx
AKQxxx

or

x
-
AKQxx
AKxxxxx

Obviously not 29-30 total points, but the robot doesn't know how to express distributional values well.

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-02, 20:32

View Postsfi, on 2022-August-02, 19:41, said:

6C isn't crazy because South's bidding shows a hand that expects to make 5C - the double followed by 5C is really strong. The raise is catering for something like:

x
-
AKxxxx
AKQxxx

or

x
-
AKQxx
AKxxxxx

Obviously not 29-30 total points, but the robot doesn't know how to express distributional values well.

I don't think my bidding shows anything more than 5-1 :)

EDIT I accept the system can be difficult to bid precisely and in a disciplined manner. Many were able to find 3 but 6x-3 didn't score too badly considering

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users