• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you relay at the 6-level?

#1 User is offline   pilun 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-December-30, 00:41

So 9 SPs and no Q means East has to have AK & A plus either Q or Q.

Of course Q is 3½ times as likely as Q, so you might just go with the odds if 6 is not a relay.

Best is to relay with 6 if available, stopping in 6 opposite the actual.

Our long-standing agreement is that 5NT is the last DCB-ask, maybe from an unpleasant overstep decades ago. I forget.

What is your agreement and do you think it's clear?

#2 User is offline   pilun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-30, 02:33

Two questions for the price of one

How do you deal with known singletons in DCB?

For decades, we have switched to positive cueing with those, so bidding the singleton step = stiff A or K (stiff king counted as 1 SP, ignore stiff queens)

I'm told the gain for this approach is very rare, though better than standard DCB. I believe (?) that most pairs just ignore the singleton suit, depending on DCB in the other three to sort it out.

Is that right?

#3 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-December-30, 05:30

We play relays at the six level (but not 6NT or above), so 6 would be a relay.

Our honour locations are based on parity, so after 5 relay we would have:

5 = 0 or 2 of AKQ

This is already enough to know that there is no grand; if we did relay with 5 and get 5NT (0 or 2 of AKQ) we would know the entire honour structure of the hand. At least in this case, we are a bit ahead of whatever you are doing with 4+SP.

When it comes up, we don't do anything special with singletons (still parity, stop=no honor and skip=stiff honor).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-30, 11:41

View Postpilun, on 2021-December-30, 02:33, said:

Two questions for the price of one

How do you deal with known singletons in DCB?

For decades, we have switched to positive cueing with those, so bidding the singleton step = stiff A or K (stiff king counted as 1 SP, ignore stiff queens)

I'm told the gain for this approach is very rare, though better than standard DCB. I believe (?) that most pairs just ignore the singleton suit, depending on DCB in the other three to sort it out.

Is that right?

I have played various agreements, including counting stiff K=1 and even stiff A=2 (FWIW I really disliked it, but pard insisted). On the other end of the spectrum, we have agreements like awm's approach that discounts only stiff Qs (which might actually be better).

For the stiff A/K, I thought that the "standard" DCB method was to invert, and stop with, and skip without. Even if it isn't standard, it might be more efficient, depending on what happens after the first scan.

Regarding the highest DCB, mostly used awm's method of 6N as not being a relay).

#5 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-December-30, 20:11

https://www.bridgeba...at-the-6-level/

#6 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-31, 06:32

View Postfoobar, on 2021-December-30, 11:41, said:

I have played various agreements, including counting stiff K=1 and even stiff A=2 (FWIW I really disliked it, but pard insisted). On the other end of the spectrum, we have agreements like awm's approach that discounts only stiff Qs (which might actually be better).

https://www.bridgeba...-stiff-a-3-qps/

I'm taking credit for Q=0 while scanning it as an honor. Counting stiff ace as 2, stiff K as 1 and Q as 0 helps judge when it is safe to search for slam because (as others have described) stiff honors are worth roughly a queen point less.

#7 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-31, 12:11

View Poststraube, on 2021-December-31, 06:32, said:

https://www.bridgeba...-stiff-a-3-qps/

I'm taking credit for Q=0 while scanning it as an honor. Counting stiff ace as 2, stiff K as 1 and Q as 0 helps judge when it is safe to search for slam because (as others have described) stiff honors are worth roughly a queen point less.

Since awm doesn't discount stiff Ks, surely this idea isn't mainstream. Adam, what has your experience in this matter been?

#8 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-31, 12:32

View Postfoobar, on 2021-December-31, 12:11, said:

Since awm doesn't discount stiff Ks, surely this idea isn't mainstream. Adam, what has your experience in this matter been?

I commented on the other thread, and my opinion hasn't changed. I don't like it, for the following reasons:

1. It makes it more difficult to use shortcuts like subtracting the RP count from 24. This might not matter given unlimited time to think about the possible hands, but in practice it does make a difference.
2. While this will help you a bit on hands where a singleton honor is not useful, it will hurt you a LOT on hands where that singleton honor matters. Overall I don't think that's a good trade.
3. Things like bidding RKC in the short suit aren't a solution -- typically this suit is LAST in the ordering of RKC bids, and there are also times when this is relayers second suit and he doesn't really want it as trumps.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#9 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-31, 15:08

This method disambiguates singleton honors including the queen. Certainly often a singleton honor is exactly what is wanted, but I think most of the time a singleton honor is a disappointment; that's my own experience anyway. The evaluation 0, 1, 2 is not perfect but is a better approximation most of the time.

Apparently Atul forgot that you didn't discount the stiff queen (which is why he thought this might be better).

#10 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-December-31, 18:14

View Poststraube, on 2021-December-31, 15:08, said:

This method disambiguates singleton honors including the queen. Certainly often a singleton honor is exactly what is wanted, but I think most of the time a singleton honor is a disappointment; that's my own experience anyway. The evaluation 0, 1, 2 is not perfect but is a better approximation most of the time.

Apparently Atul forgot that you didn't discount the stiff queen (which is why he thought this might be better).

FWIW, I am OK with discounting the stiff Q, ambivalent about discounting stiff K, and think that discounting stiff A is stretching things too far.

#11 User is offline   pilun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-01, 18:32

I looked at a few resources.

Truscott (= Rigal)
Relays continue at the 6-level. 6NT+ are to play.
They seem to count singleton honours normally (not sure) but ignore singletons in DCB. That saves steps at the expense of some ambiguity.

Say describer has some 5431 and the bid that says "Now look at the third suit" was 5. Assuming a small singleton, we get

Truscott
5 - 5 = a second look at the 5-carder (so -2)
Abraham and us
5 - 5 = assumed small singleton, then looking a the 5-carder (so -1)
AWM (?)
5 - 5 = small singleton - 5 - 5 = second look at the 5-carder (so square)

There are costs in ignoring singletons.
AKQx x might be treated the same way as
Axxx A, or even
KQxx A

finding out which might not be practical.

For singletons, we count A=3, K=1, Q=0 and have done so for decades. Resolving helped once when describer had either
Kxx K, or
Axx x

when looking at the singleton was crucial. Of course, treating kingletons as 2 would have avoided that. At a cost.

Given that Axxxx KQxx xxx x is likely to be more useful than
Axxxx Qxxx xxx K

it's good that they are evaluated differently. The danger comes when asker pictures the second hand as a more typical 5 SP hand

Axxxx xxxx Kxx x

though experience suggests that these tend to come out okay.

Kit only counts controls. His DCB also ignores singletons. In fact he ignores the THIRD suit when there is a singleton in the 4th, preferring to go back to the two long suits before having a first look at the 3rd suit. Seems a bit extreme.

#12 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-02, 00:22

knr for xxxx xxxx xxxx A = 4.4
knr for Axxx xxxx xxxx x = 5.6
knr for Kxxx xxxx xxxx x = 4.6

I chose 4441s because the average suit length for a hand with a stiff is obviously 4.

So far the knr would evaluate the stiff A more like a king from length. On many days, that king would be supported by other honors or minor honors and would be worth even more, so at least as far as knr, I think a stiff ace is worth approximately a non-stiff king.

On most days I'll want to find AQxxx Kxxx xxx x instead of Qxxxx Kxxx xxx A, but if I count a stiff ace as 2 and hope for AQxxx Kxxx xxx x (knr 11.2), I might survive with Qxxxx KQxx xxx A (knr 11.15) or I might be disappointed to learn that I might have two spade losers if I hold Kxx (when I would have preferred to lose one club).

Some side notes. Isn't the SQ roughly 2.5 times as likely as the DQ since the SA and SK are known? Also, I followed awm's recommendation for relaying at the 6-level (6N being always to play) and found it more useful to relay than to sign off.

#13 User is offline   pilun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-02, 02:17

View Poststraube, on 2022-January-02, 00:22, said:

knr for xxxx xxxx xxxx A = 4.4
knr for Axxx xxxx xxxx x = 5.6
knr for Kxxx xxxx xxxx x = 4.6

I chose 4441s because the average suit length for a hand with a stiff is obviously 4.

So far the knr would evaluate the stiff A more like a king from length. On many days, that king would be supported by other honors or minor honors and would be worth even more, so at least as far as knr, I think a stiff ace is worth approximately a non-stiff king.

On most days I'll want to find AQxxx Kxxx xxx x instead of Qxxxx Kxxx xxx A, but if I count a stiff ace as 2 and hope for AQxxx Kxxx xxx x (knr 11.2), I might survive with Qxxxx KQxx xxx A (knr 11.15) or I might be disappointed to learn that I might have two spade losers if I hold Kxx (when I would have preferred to lose one club).

Some side notes. Isn't the SQ roughly 2.5 times as likely as the DQ since the SA and SK are known? Also, I followed awm's recommendation for relaying at the 6-level (6N being always to play) and found it more useful to relay than to sign off.

Yes, 2½ times as likely to be Q.

The issue with stiff ace is not so much that it's worth less, rather whether relayer has a chance to diagnose it.
xxxxx xxxx Axx A is still worth a positive.

Thanks for another vote in favour of relaying at the 6-level, though not sure whether relaying with 6 over 6 will be welcome.

#14 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-02, 03:01

View Postpilun, on 2022-January-02, 02:17, said:

Yes, 2½ times as likely to be Q.

The issue with stiff ace is not so much that it's worth less, rather whether relayer has a chance to diagnose it.
xxxxx xxxx Axx A is still worth a positive.

Thanks for another vote in favour of relaying at the 6-level, though not sure whether relaying with 6 over 6 will be welcome.

I see. I use IMprecision responses so get to describe that as a semipositive/light GF and then force game. So to it's slightly less awkward than presenting that as a negative.

There are many 5 QP hands worth a GF; have you thought about grouping 5-6 QPs into your step one QP response and then separating them later if asked? Often opener won't even be interested. Then 5 QP hands could GF optionally.

#15 User is offline   pilun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-02, 03:59

View Poststraube, on 2022-January-02, 03:01, said:

I see. I use IMprecision responses so get to describe that as a semipositive/light GF and then force game. So to it's slightly less awkward than presenting that as a negative.

There are many 5 QP hands worth a GF; have you thought about grouping 5-6 QPs into your step one QP response and then separating them later if asked? Often opener won't even be interested. Then 5 QP hands could GF optionally.

We group 4 & 5 but leave opener to guess, don't split them. So

KJxx KJxxxx xx x

is a positive, for better or worse.

#16 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-02, 09:38

I imagine 5 is much more common than 4, so assuming 5 is likely to work out most of the time. But then you could count Axxx xxxx xxxx A as GF and 5 if you wanted to. One other reason for deducting a point for a stiff honor (including the ace)is that the stiff is scanned last (if you scan it at all) which sometimes gives a late and unwelcome surprise.

#17 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-02, 12:56

View Poststraube, on 2022-January-02, 09:38, said:

I imagine 5 is much more common than 4, so assuming 5 is likely to work out most of the time. But then you could count Axxx xxxx xxxx A as GF and 5 if you wanted to. One other reason for deducting a point for a stiff honor (including the ace)is that the stiff is scanned last (if you scan it at all) which sometimes gives a late and unwelcome surprise.

In a scheme that groups 4 and 5, won't counting stiff A as 2 result in an unworkable 4-6 for the first step?

In other words, in Nick's example, we can have both KJxx KJxxxx xx x OR QJxx KJxxxx xx A with the proposed scheme that devalues stiff As.

#18 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-02, 15:50

View Postfoobar, on 2022-January-02, 12:56, said:

In a scheme that groups 4 and 5, won't counting stiff A as 2 result in an unworkable 4-6 for the first step?

In other words, in Nick's example, we can have both KJxx KJxxxx xx x OR QJxx KJxxxx xx A with the proposed scheme that devalues stiff As.

knr for KJxx KJxxxx xx x 10.5

knr for QJxx KJxxxx xx A 12.25

Seems reasonable to me to group those in a 4-5 QP range, both GF hands. Assume you disagree. If instead the A is counted as 3, we might hope for

QJxx AKJxxx xx x 14.5 when we have instead QJxx KJxxxx xx A 12.25, both counted here as 6 QPs.

#19 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-02, 16:17

View Poststraube, on 2022-January-02, 15:50, said:

knr for KJxx KJxxxx xx x 10.5

knr for QJxx KJxxxx xx A 12.25

Seems reasonable to me to group those in a 4-5 QP range, both GF hands. Assume you disagree. If instead the A is counted as 3, we might hope for

QJxx AKJxxx xx x 14.5 when we have instead QJxx KJxxxx xx A 12.25, both counted here as 6 QPs.

I think that as awm and others have noted, using KNR evaluation alone to justify devaluating stiff Aces is a very narrow perspective because it doesn't look at the combined potential. As awm noted, given an arbitrary amount of time to evaluate all possible hand combinations, such a method might be better, but on the flip side, it makes it more difficult to subtract RPs from 24 to figure out the level of the final contract. Specifically, for every gain there almost certainly has to be a hand where the presumed (incorrect) lack of RPs keeps us out of slam. Until there is compelling evidence that this method is superior, count me as a skeptic.

#20 User is offline   pilun 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-January-08, 00:20

Related question

If you demote singleton honours (stiff K => 1, stiff Q => 0) do you do the same with dry honours? So

AK- tight. Does that become 4 SPs?

AQ - tight. Is that 3 SPs and ignore the queen entirely in DCB?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users