Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inequitable Strats

#1 User is offline   Butchie T 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-November-15, 02:35

Played in an ACBL Open game with more than 100 tables. The strats in our section were evenly divided with five each A, B and C pairs. We played six rounds of three boards (a pet peeve of many about those overpriced Regionally-rated tournaments on BBO.) It seems unfair, as C's, then, that we played against three A pairs, two B's and one other C. Am I assuming your computers are able to alleviate this inequity or are they just lazy?

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-November-15, 10:53

BBO has stated many times that they do not seed playing lines. They divide the field into 2N groups, each of 1/3 A, 1/3 B, and 1/3 C, where N is the number of sections; and then they randomly assign seats to pairs in those groups to the assigned section, assigned direction.

Which means with 15 table sections and 6 rounds, yes, you can meet 5 A pairs and a B - and there will be some pairs in your line that will meet no A pairs.

In a non-stratified event, it's even less good - everyone is just seated randomly.

I have suggested this is not perfect behaviour a number of times. A suggestion I make to club game holders is that when the fields get to 2*rounds that they aggressively create sections of as close to "all-play" as possible because of this.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-November-16, 15:12

It doesn't seem to me very difficult to fix this- how about an anti-seed to assure playing at least 2 rounds against peers? Other methods would work too.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users