BBO Discussion Forums: Comparing/rating bidding against system - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comparing/rating bidding against system

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-September-25, 18:01

Hi all

Leaving ability to play and make contracts aside for the moment, I am usually very interested in how my bidding compares with best system outcome. Assuming we are using GiB 2/1

Other than just looking at travellers and trying to determine how my bidding/contract compares with the best bidding, are there any tools available

For example, you don't necessarily compare with the top score. The best and most accurate bidding could be the bottom score

Sometimes I look at who was bidding the hands to get an idea.

Also, I'm not talking about comparing with Double Dummy analysis. And I appreciate sometimes (maybe always) top score against best defence (disclaimer - I'm playing GiB) could be regarded as the best bidding :)

regards P

#2 User is offline   Capt_Ravi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-September-26, 00:48

I try and see if I can find a recognized steady pair playing the same system as I do and then compare my results with theirs, board by board.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-September-26, 06:22

Double dummy methods are cheap but inaccurate

Hiring a pro to look over your traveller's will be very accurate, but extremely expensive.

What has worked well for me is simply doing bidding practice with a partner and talking over the boards after you finish.
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   RD350LC 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-September-26, 13:52

View Posthrothgar, on 2021-September-26, 06:22, said:

Double dummy methods are cheap but inaccurate

Hiring a pro to look over your traveller's will be very accurate, but extremely expensive.

What has worked well for me is simply doing bidding practice with a partner and talking over the boards after you finish.

The last item mentioned is a very good idea. I tend to look more closely at the boards where we did poorly.

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-27, 01:16

Thanks everyone.

I don't often get chance to discuss all the hands with people, but at least try to look at how the various players in the traveller describe themselves or their experience. Especially when there are seemingly strange or disappointing outcomes. Its always gratifying/consoling to be down the bottom of the traveller with a good player :)

#6 User is offline   RuflRabbit 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-September-27, 18:50

Play Vugraph sets. Sit the same direction as a pair that's using a similar system and try to replicate their bids (and plays).

If you play 2/1, you might start by looking for sets played by Levin and Weinstein, for instance.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users