• You cannot reply to this topic

Your Call Now what?

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-01, 18:46

What do you do? Imp pairs.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-August-01, 19:00

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-August-01, 18:46, said:

What do you do? Imp pairs.

I don’t like Bobby Wolff, not the least bit, but one of his sayings, when answering Bridge World MSC problems, was ‘it’s too dangerous to pass’

Hence 5H.

Double will see partner passing far too often, and we have no reason to think we are probably, as opposed to possibly, beating this.

4N is a two suiter. This isn’t a two suiter…if partner bids 5C we are not bidding 5D to show both reds, playing there opposite 3=3 reds as one example.

Pass is giving up.

5H may be a disaster, but it may be cold, may be a good save, and may push them to 5S if LHO has a black two suiter.

So 5H it is.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-August-02, 02:06

5H it's a bidder's game.

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-August-02, 02:55

I agree with 5. The chances are there is not much spade wastage opposite, and I would guess if it is our hand, it is more likely we belong in hearts than diamonds. If partner puts down a singleton heart and five diamonds to the KQ I'll apologise.

#5 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-August-02, 05:16

View Postmikeh, on 2021-August-01, 19:00, said:

4N is a two suiter. This isn’t a two suiter…if partner bids 5C we are not bidding 5D to show both reds, playing there opposite 3=3 reds as one example.

agree. but also got me to think. what if partner has x xx KQxxx Kxxxx 6 is down except if very lucky distribution pick up QJ, and 6 makes most times. how do we get to 6?

I agree 5 is sensible bid (no confusion bid) over 4 but what would 4NT - 5 - 5 show? a 6-4 kind of two suiter like this? or would 5 be a cue bid agreeing ? if you had agreement in place at least this type of hand could be shown, not technically a true two suiter but gives partner a better idea of the hand you have 6-4 shape. a direct 5 over 4 just says only, no other suit to offer.

#6 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-August-02, 05:31

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-August-02, 05:16, said:

agree. but also got me to think. what if partner has x xx KQxxx Kxxxx 6 is down except if very lucky distribution pick up QJ, and 6 makes most times. how do we get to 6?

I agree 5 is sensible bid (no confusion bid) over 4 but what would 4NT - 5 - 5 show? a 6-4 kind of two suiter like this? or would 5 be a cue bid agreeing ?

If 4NT is two places to play, correcting 5 to 5 could imply the two places to play are 5 or 6 depending on partner's support.

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-02, 10:50

How it went:

Opening lead J diamonds

Score +1 for aggressive east-west bidding. PS: would you rather play or defend 5H with the jack of diamonds lead?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-August-02, 14:37

WinstonM 'Opening lead J diamonds. Score +1 for aggressive east-west bidding. PS: would you rather play or defend 5H with the jack of diamonds lead?'
+++++++++++++++++++
Over 4, I rank
1. 5
2. DBL
Gib found the only lead to allow 5X to make but, at single-dummy, defending seems the better proposition.

#9 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-August-04, 09:10

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-August-02, 05:16, said:

I agree 5 is sensible bid (no confusion bid) over 4 but what would 4NT - 5 - 5 show?

Traditionally this shows a slam-try in but it has come up on these forums many times already that it is actually theoretically better to reverse the sequences so that a direct 5 shows the very strong hand and 4NT followed by 5 is the competitive auction.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users