BBO Discussion Forums: Why does GiB play this sequence as GF? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why does GiB play this sequence as GF?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-June-13, 05:40

I thought this was basically universally played as F1 (apart from a handful of dinosaurs who still play NF) - GF seems almost unplayable. Judging by this hand even the robot seems confused - do they really think this is a full GF rather than, say a 2N rebid? (which already seems optimistic)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-13, 06:03

Fred once said that this sequence should be GF - the reasoning is similar to why FSF should be GF.

But yes, it is not everybody's choice.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-13, 12:36

View Posthelene_t, on 2021-June-13, 06:03, said:

Fred once said that this sequence should be GF - the reasoning is similar to why FSF should be GF.

Does this imply that what GiB plays is what Fred preferred it to play, at the time?
That would be no surprise or scandal, just curious to know.

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-13, 15:21

View Postpescetom, on 2021-June-13, 12:36, said:

Does this imply that what GiB plays is what Fred preferred it to play, at the time?

I would assume that this is the way GIB was programmed when BBO bought it. From what I have read in these forums, GIB was not designed to make quick, simple (bidding or play) changes, not that changing 2 to game forcing from whatever meaning it might have had is necessarily easy.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-13, 17:07

View Postpescetom, on 2021-June-13, 12:36, said:

No it doesn't imply that, GIBerish is probably not Fred's favourite system anyway. It's possible that GIB always played that way. I don't know.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-14, 03:00

View Postjohnu, on 2021-June-13, 15:21, said:

I would assume that this is the way GIB was programmed when BBO bought it. From what I have read in these forums, GIB was not designed to make quick, simple (bidding or play) changes, not that changing 2 to game forcing from whatever meaning it might have had is necessarily easy.

I remember reading that the original program by Ginsberg was significantly configurable, and it seems rather unlikely to me that the current set of agreements was the default. Presumably somebody configured (or hacked) it to play this way, my curiosity is just who and whether it was already playing this way when BBO acquired it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users