BBO Discussion Forums: Scoring at a "casual" table of four friends - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Scoring at a "casual" table of four friends

#1 User is offline   Vinish 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-March-20, 15:34

I tried to search for an answer to this and could not find anything so I hope you will forgive my asking the question if it has been asked a zillion times before and, if so, just point me to one of those places.

With the shutdown of our local ACBL sanctioned club, four frequent club players have decided to play on BBO. Two of us have played a few times in the past in tournaments but the other two are total novices. Today, I created a game in the "casual" section and invited my three friends to play. This went well. I did not know if it made any difference so I left the game type as "IMPS".

We played about 28 hands over a couple of hours and after we were done, I looked at my "history" and saw some results that I did not understand. I took a screen shot and saved it as a .jpg but cannot see a way to post an image from my computer. So my first question is - How can I post a small (~60 kb) image?

The results had column headings of "Board", "Result", "We", "They", "We", "They". I understand the first four columns. The first "We" and "They" are the normal hand score (e.g. 3NT NV making 4 is listed as 430. What are the second "We" and "They" columns? I suspect that since I left this as an IMP game, these columns somehow contain a score compared to other tables but how is this done for IMPS?

Lastly, at the bottom of the list of scores it shows two boxes in orange - one for each pair (N/S and E/W). The N/S box says "59.9" and the E/W box says "45.1". Is this some sort of overall percent like you get for matchpoints for all the hands played in that game?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

G'day,

Vinish

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-March-20, 15:54

Your table is scored against all othet tables in the main room that played the same boards. You may see the score of already played boards change as more other tables play them.

NS tends to have an advantage as more robots sit ew and robots tend to play better than humans. So consider swapping seats halfway i.e. after 12 boards if you play 24.

You may also consider choosing a set from the vugraph archive instead of random boards. Then you will be scored against expers rather than against randoms.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Vinish 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-March-20, 17:48

helene_t, Thanks for the quick response. I will go look for Vugraph archive hands and see if I can figure out how to play these. Can you or anyone else tell me specifically:

1) What are the numbers in the second "We" and "They" column when I selected an IMP type game? These numbers seemed to range from ~10 for N/S to ~10 for E/W.
2) Is there a way to post an image that is NOT from the web but, rather, is from my computer?
3) What are the numbers in the orange boxes below the second "We" and "Them" columns? Are these overall game percents like you get in a matchpoint game?

G'day,

Vinish

#4 User is offline   Vinish 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-March-20, 18:00

I was pretty dang proud of myself... at least for a few moments. I used search to find a thread titled, "How to use old vugraph deals in a set game". I though I was all set. In this thread were the instructions to:

"Click
1. CASUAL
2. Start a table
3. Start a vugraph game table"

I tried doing this but when I reached step #3 there were only two options in blue boxes at the bottom of the page:

"Start Table - Relaxed game"
"Start Table - Competitive game"

There was no place to select a "Vugraph" game. The thread I found was from August, 2018 and I have been reading a lot about the BBO software changing. Perhaps the instructions applied to the previous version. If so, what is the process to start a game using past Vugraph deals? Thanks for any help you can offer.

G'day,

Vinish

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-March-22, 13:51

View PostVinish, on 2020-March-20, 17:48, said:

helene_t, Thanks for the quick response. I will go look for Vugraph archive hands and see if I can figure out how to play these. Can you or anyone else tell me specifically:

1) What are the numbers in the second "We" and "They" column when I selected an IMP type game? These numbers seemed to range from ~10 for N/S to ~10 for E/W.

Those are your average IMPs against all the other tables that played the board, just like in an IMP Pairs tournament.

2) Is there a way to post an image that is NOT from the web but, rather, is from my computer?

No, sorry. There are free services like imgur.com and snag.gy that you can upload images to.

3) What are the numbers in the orange boxes below the second "We" and "Them" columns? Are these overall game percents like you get in a matchpoint game?

The numbers at the bottom are the totals.

#6 User is offline   mickeymzm 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-06, 06:57

After you have selected the Table, on the top right hand corner of the table you will see 3 parallel lines (blue box) which gives the option of Deal Source. You can select Random or Specific Vugraph deals. Hope this helps

#7 User is offline   timsdad 

• Pip

Posted 2020-September-27, 18:57

After setting up a Relaxed table and playing hands, a small box headed IMPs reads "NS 2.2, EW -2.2". Is this the net score difference that we would have recorded at our table in rubber bridge at home? Or is this how much better our NS pair scored against other tables than our EW pair did?
(Apologies if this has been answered)

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-27, 20:23

View Posttimsdad, on 2020-September-27, 18:57, said:

(Apologies if this has been answered)
t

Yeah it has. In this thread.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users