BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Automatic Scoring System - Can it be changed to Standard Party Bridge scoring - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Automatic Scoring System - Can it be changed to Standard Party Bridge scoring

#1 User is offline   pearl1952 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-May-13, 22:47

In BBO, I don't really understand the scoring that comes up when we play Casual bridge.
Is there something that describes what that scoring refers to, either in BBO Help or in some type of You Tube video?
Is there a way that we can request standard, Party bridge scoring be used instead?
I think that is the way to describe it ... 100 pts for a game, over and under the line, Vulnerable, etc.

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-May-14, 00:59

The default scoring at a BBO table is cross imps.

On each board, your score is compared with every other table that has played the hand; this will be a maximum of 15 other tables. Your imp score for the board is the average of the 15 imp scores you get with this comparison and is known as cross imps.

The scores on a board can vary until it's been played 16 times.

You can change the scoring at the top of Create table window.

You can choose matchpoints, which will give you comparisons against 15 other tables similar to a normal matchpoint pairs event.

You can choose Total points, which will give you Chicago-like scoring with no comparisons with other tables. This is the closest that you'll get to party bridge.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   pearl1952 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-May-14, 11:04

Thank you. It sounds like Total Point is the best scoring option for us.

#4 User is offline   jonnymonny 

• Pip

Posted 2020-May-23, 06:26

View Postpaulg, on 2020-May-14, 00:59, said:

The default scoring at a BBO table is cross imps.

On each board, your score is compared with every other table that has played the hand; this will be a maximum of 15 other tables. Your imp score for the board is the average of the 15 imp scores you get with this comparison and is known as cross imps.

The scores on a board can vary until it's been played 16 times.

You can change the scoring at the top of Create table window.

You can choose matchpoints, which will give you comparisons against 15 other tables similar to a normal matchpoint pairs event.

You can choose Total points, which will give you Chicago-like scoring with no comparisons with other tables. This is the closest that you'll get to party bridge.

Would it not be more logical to use matchpoint percentages as the default system. This is comparable to Bridgemate scoring that we are used to.

#5 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-May-23, 07:00

Matchpoints in THe other choice (IMPs, MPs, Total Points).
It is not the default , though. You have to choose it when opening the table.
Can't be changed. To change it, you need to close and reopen the table.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-23, 08:26

View Postjonnymonny, on 2020-May-23, 06:26, said:

Would it not be more logical to use matchpoint percentages as the default system. This is comparable to Bridgemate scoring that we are used to.

Why make the less-popular option the default?

Bridgemate is a scoring device not a scoring method.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is offline   jonnymonny 

• Pip

Posted 2020-May-23, 08:42

View Postgordontd, on 2020-May-23, 08:26, said:

Bridgemate is a scoring device not a scoring method.

OK. Every Bridgemate I have used (in many clubs) uses percentages. I just thought it was easier for comparison.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-May-25, 14:06

View Postgordontd, on 2020-May-23, 08:26, said:

It's hard to tell cause from effect. It might be more popular simply because it's the default.

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-27, 14:56

My strong belief is that it is exactly that it's the default.

This comes from the struggle we have to get an IMP pair game *anywhere* in a club (in a city that runs at least 15 games a week, and probably is north of 200 tables in that week), and the struggle to *keep* the IMP pair game in our tournaments (first it was friday evening, then friday afternoon (because evening attendance was bad), then in flight A only, then we moved to morning-afternoon instead of afternoon-evening, and there's hints that even flight A wants to lose it...) That, and never hearing of anything but matchpoint pairs (okay, one or two team games a year before the tournament) anywhere else.

Frankly, I'm really surprised at this, because explaining matchpoints to newer players is really hard. "I made my contract, why is it 15%?" as opposed to "oh, we're -7 because we didn't bid game" (or "-0.5 because we didn't make the overtrick"). Matchpoint strategy is esoterica even to Flight A (I think I have a better-than-average hold around here, and I bet my knowledge of it is really bad compared to the people who actually win real matchpoint events).

But to those who get how to score matchpoints into their brain as "default", seeing -3 on a score is confusing. I understand that.

BBO allows you to play Matchpoints. There won't be as many tables, and getting to 15 comparisons will take longer. Like, maybe a minute or two longer. Your choice.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users