Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Practice Hands for slam bidding

#1 User is offline   ncohen 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-March-30, 16:26

My partner and I are playing in a team game next weekend and need to improve our slam bidding. Does anyone know of an online source of practice hands? Alternatively, how easy would it be to download a hand generator and program it to generate slam practice hands? Thx.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2019-March-30, 16:40

View Postncohen, on 2019-March-30, 16:26, said:

My partner and I are playing in a team game next weekend and need to improve our slam bidding. Does anyone know of an online source of practice hands? Alternatively, how easy would it be to download a hand generator and program it to generate slam practice hands? Thx.

http://www.rpbridge.net/rpbp.htm
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-30, 18:33

In addition to the excellent resources of already generated hands as on Pavilicek's site above, you can use one of the scripting tools available to generate unlimited hands of your own specification. They do require a reasonable amount (not huge) of scripting sometimes but allow you a lot of flexibiity in specification of the four hands, points, suit lengths, honours, controls etc. It may take too long to get the hang of it before a weekend tourney though. Its probably less than 5-10 lines of script. Can't think off the top of my head, but learning the functions takes a little while

I use bdeal (by Piotr Beling) for simulation but I believe there are many including GiB/BridgeBase has a hand generator

#4 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-30, 18:41

View Postncohen, on 2019-March-30, 16:26, said:

You can always use BBO's bidding practice rooms. Just set the hand criteria to something simple like 25+ points between the two hands and you'll get lots of practice in slams.

#5 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-30, 23:46

All great ideas.
For some quick hands (while traveling or at dinner etc. try the old
method CC Wei recommended for Precision:

Take out 2345(and 6?) from a deck in each suit and deal 2 hands...

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-31, 01:13

I wrote this for pairs who wanted to do the same:

https://thebeercard....am-bidding.html

The issue with this method is that the randomly generated hands are not saved by default on BBO, so you need to save the interesting hands to a folder on BBO. The advantage of this method is that it is quick and easy.

The main alternative is to generate hands in a program like Dealmaster Pro and then upload the hands to BBO, where you can use them as a Deal Source at a bidding table. You then have a record of the hands outside of BBO.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-31, 04:20

View PostdsLawsd, on 2019-March-30, 23:46, said:

All great ideas.
For some quick hands (while traveling or at dinner etc. try the old
method CC Wei recommended for Precision:

Take out 2345(and 6?) from a deck in each suit and deal 2 hands...

The issue with this is your hands are more balanced than normal. You can compensate by taking out different numbers of small cards from each suit, depending on what sort of slams you want to practice.

#8 User is offline   Left2Right 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-March-31, 14:56

Try my constraint file for slam cues by clicking this URL..

If you are new to this sort of constrained dealing at the bidding and teaching tables, try my YouTube video on it by clicking this URL.

Be sure to switch the switch in the code (theSwitch=0 or theSwitch=1) to change between hands that need slam cues versus those where RKCB is fine.

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2019-March-31, 22:14

View Postthepossum, on 2019-March-30, 18:33, said:

In addition to the excellent resources of already generated hands as on Pavilicek's site above, you can use one of the scripting tools available to generate unlimited hands of your own specification. They do require a reasonable amount (not huge) of scripting sometimes but allow you a lot of flexibiity in specification of the four hands, points, suit lengths, honours, controls etc. It may take too long to get the hang of it before a weekend tourney though. Its probably less than 5-10 lines of script. Can't think off the top of my head, but learning the functions takes a little while

I use bdeal (by Piotr Beling) for simulation but I believe there are many including GiB/BridgeBase has a hand generator

The download links on Piotr's page seem to be not working. Is this still available somewhere?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-March-31, 23:32

View PostCascade, on 2019-March-31, 22:14, said:

The download links on Piotr's page seem to be not working. Is this still available somewhere?

It looks like he made a typo when adding the links. You can browse the download directory at http://bcalc.w8.pl/download/ and pick the files you want.

#11 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2019-April-01, 03:57

View Postthepossum, on 2019-March-31, 22:44, said:

I don't know. They must have been taken down for some reason. You would need to ask the developer. His API is still available as far as I can see but the download links have gone

Its been fixed after I emailed Piotr
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#12 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-April-01, 22:32

View PostCascade, on 2019-April-01, 03:57, said:

Its been fixed after I emailed Piotr

Thats good news. Sorry I had deleted my post after sfi found where it was, since I thought my post was no longer necessary :)

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2021-August-29, 03:24

View PostLeft2Right, on 2019-March-31, 14:56, said:

Try my constraint file for slam cues by clicking this URL..

If you are new to this sort of constrained dealing at the bidding and teaching tables, try my YouTube video on it by clicking this URL.

This is interesting and usefull: to have informations click on urls on the second colomn, in the first one you have files and script for computers. About the url on YouTube is not available. Perhaps you have to say your nickname/account there so to find or to make it pubblic and not private.(Lovera)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users