• Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-30, 15:56

BBO forum,

US -- ACBL

I use 4 suit transfers and have been told that if responder had bid
2 clubs, over my 1NT opener, that after the bidding and before the
opening lead opener has to state that "responder may or may not have
a four card major".

Other players have said that this isn't always required.

What exactly are the alert rules regarding the use of Stayman without
a 4+ card major? I read the alert rules chart and can't quite figure
out if there are any sequences where it wouldn't have to be alerted.

Jerryd

#2 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-30, 16:11

That depends on your jurisdiction. In Australia, for instance, a 2C response to an opening 1NT bid is never alertable. Other places have different rules.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-30, 16:21

In the UK it's just stayman if it has the standard responses, it asks, it doesn't say anything about your hand and you don't alert subsequent bids that may or may not have 4M.

#4 User is offline   jerdonald 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-30, 16:26

BBO forum,
I guess I should have stated that I play in the US under ACBL rules.

Jerryd

#5 User is offline   sacto123 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-30, 16:57

http://web2.acbl.org...tProcedures.pdf

Partnerships do not need to Alert their Stayman bids in order to differentiate between
those that promise a four-card major and those that don’t. Opponents may assume that
an immediate bid of clubs over a natural notrump opening is conventional, asking
opener to bid a four-card major, with no guarantee that responder has a four-card major
suit.
However, when it becomes evident that the Stayman bidder either does not have or
tends not to have a four-card major, an Alert is required at that time.

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-30, 17:38

"Does not have or tends not to have" Interesting. Consider some possible auctions:

1NT-2-2-2NT. Playing four suit transfers, 2NT does not deny a four card major. Responder might have one (or two) or he might not. Does this qualify as "tends not to have". Apparently it must, since I'm told we have to alert this 2NT. But I don't buy it, unless the words "tends not to have" mean something other than my dictionary tells me they mean.

1NT-2-2-2NT. Okay. In the methods with which I'm familiar, 2NT here denies 4, and if responder had four hearts and an invitational hand he'd raise hearts. So I agree this 2NT should be alerted.

1NT-2-2-2NT. Opener has denied four hearts. Responder hasn't. Still, he might not have them. Same objection as in the first sequence.

I wonder, as I often do reading ACBL regulations, why they don't just say what they mean. If they mean "might not have a four card major" whyinhell don't they just say so?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-30, 18:46

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-April-30, 17:38, said:

I wonder, as I often do reading ACBL regulations, why they don't just say what they mean. If they mean "might not have a four card major" whyinhell don't they just say so?

A case of the procedures having different language than the alert chart. The alert chart says:

"Continuations by responder after the use of Stayman which do not promise a major". I think it's clear from the alert chart that you need an alert for all 3 of your sample Stayman sequences.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-April-30, 19:06

Well, last time I asked which takes precedence I was told "neither - they're co-equal." "Even if they say different things?" says I. "They're not supposed to do that" says them.

Uh, huh.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-01, 06:30

View Postjohnu, on 2018-April-30, 18:46, said:

A case of the procedures having different language than the alert chart. The alert chart says:

"Continuations by responder after the use of Stayman which do not promise a major". I think it's clear from the alert chart that you need an alert for all 3 of your sample Stayman sequences.

Still seems perversely illogical to me.
I don't need to alert 2 after 1NT when this bid is artificial and does not promise clubs, but I do need to alert 2NT after 1NT-2-2 when this bid is natural denying spades? :blink:

#10 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2018-May-01, 08:38

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-April-30, 16:21, said:

In the UK it's just stayman if it has the standard responses, it asks, it doesn't say anything about your hand and you don't alert subsequent bids that may or may not have 4M.

Actually not quite correct - But the exception is pretty rare.(EBU Blue Book 2017)

A Stayman 2 bid is announced, but only in response to a natural 1NT opening where there has been no intervention; and only where it is used to ask for a four card major. Opener says “Stayman”. After such a 2 response a standard 2 rebid by opener is not alerted. Unusual replies such as the opener bidding 2NT or higher or 2 showing spades but not denying hearts should be alerted. Stayman is announced whether or not it shows a four card major.

Simple rules for announcing

1) Never announce your own bids
2) When the auction is competitive no bids are announced.
3) Only a player's first bid will ever be announced.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-01, 08:44

View Postpescetom, on 2018-May-01, 06:30, said:

Still seems perversely illogical to me.
I don't need to alert 2 after 1NT when this bid is artificial and does not promise clubs, but I do need to alert 2NT after 1NT-2-2 when this bid is natural denying spades? :blink:

In ACBL, alerts aren't based on natural vs. artificial, they're based on whether the call shows something the opponents are unlikely to expect. So we don't alert 3 when it's Stayman because nearly everyone plays that.

Traditionally you only used Stayman when you had at least one 4-card major, and the opponents are entitled to assume you're using Stayman in the "normal" way. So for most players, that sequence shows an invitational hand with 4 spades and <4 hearts. You alert the 2NT bid because it doesn't fit that description.

EBU used to have a simple "Alert anything that's artificial" rule, they replaced it with rules more like ACBL's (but less vaguely written).

#12 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2018-May-01, 10:29

View Postbarmar, on 2018-May-01, 08:44, said:

In ACBL, alerts aren't based on natural vs. artificial, they're based on whether the call shows something the opponents are unlikely to expect. So we don't alert 3 when it's Stayman because nearly everyone plays that.

Traditionally you only used Stayman when you had at least one 4-card major, and the opponents are entitled to assume you're using Stayman in the "normal" way. So for most players, that sequence shows an invitational hand with 4 spades and <4 hearts. You alert the 2NT bid because it doesn't fit that description.

EBU used to have a simple "Alert anything that's artificial" rule, they replaced it with rules more like ACBL's (but less vaguely written).

I would beg to differ - the EBU's rules are basically anything that isn't natural - thus you would alert 2 over 1 and then explain (if asked). In the ACBL you would not alert because it is agreed that the bid is conventional - however to find out WHICH suit(s) it shows you have to ask. You can pick up some good scores by not having 1 - 2 as showing the majors.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-May-01, 11:10

View Postbarmar, on 2018-May-01, 08:44, said:

FIGB still have a simple "Alert anything that's artificial" rule, that's what I'm used to - simple but effective. I can see the case for not alerting the most popular conventions, although it could all so easily become an arbitrary and conservative mess.
In this case, it seems to me that the ACBL regulation is impractical and also endorses a rather antiquated concept of Stayman. I don't remember ever playing a version where I needed a 4-card major to bid it, as I was taught to use 2NT as transfer to diamonds and so all invitational hands must transit through Stayman. If the lack of a 4-card major is considered highly unusual, then surely the partner agreement that foresees this possibility should be alerted at the time of the 2 bid, rather than waiting until it is evident (to all) that it has actually happened? And a 2 that enquires for 5-card majors needs an alert? A simple announcement of the meaning of the reply to 2 ("has no 4-card major", "has 4-card hearts, may have 4-card spades", "has no 5-card or 4-card major" etc) looks like a cleaner and more flexible solution.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-May-01, 13:32

View Postweejonnie, on 2018-May-01, 10:29, said:

I would beg to differ - the EBU's rules are basically anything that isn't natural

Sorry, I was not quite right. EBU made the most common artificial bids (Stayman, transfers) announceable, they didn't go all the way to being silent about them as we do in ACBL.

But they don't require an alert for the artificial 2 rebid by opener after Stayman.

#15 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-01, 19:30

When I've played 4 suit transfers, which is usual, the only sequence I've ever alerted is exactly 1N-2-2-2NT. I have never had any issue or complaint about this from either opponents or TDs.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-May-02, 08:44

In ACBL, 2NT in all these sequences should be alerted if you play 4-suit transfers and have to go through Stayman to invite with 2NT.

1N-2-2-2NT - explain "invitational, might not have a 4-card major"
1N-2-2-2NT - explain "invitational, denies a 4-card major" (assuming responder would have bid 2 instead of 2NT with an invitational hand with 4 spades, otherwise the same as above)
1N-2-2-2NT - explain "invitational, denies 4 spades, might not have 4 hearts"

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2018-May-02, 08:58

Seems a good reason to play 2!S as a range inquiry, perhaps with additional meanings (e.g. long clubs).
--------------------

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-May-02, 09:01

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-May-02, 08:58, said:

Seems a good reason to play 2 as a range inquiry, perhaps with additional meanings (e.g. long clubs).

Yeah, I've started playing that in some partnerships.

#19 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2018-May-02, 09:27

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-April-30, 17:38, said:

That's a problem with any regulations, of course.
The FIGB regulations say that 1NT does not need alert if the opener "proposes" to play in NT, whatever the hand shape. What they really mean is "prepared" (or at least "willing") to play in NT, which I could honestly say about all my NT openings. But as it is written this means I can open without alert a 1NT containing a singleton Ace but not a 1NT containing a 5-card major. One could even argue that if 1NT really "proposed" to play in NT then Stayman would not exist at all.

#20 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-02, 09:54

View Postpescetom, on 2018-May-02, 09:27, said:

One could even argue that if 1NT really "proposed" to play in NT then Stayman would not exist at all.

Or one could argue that any non-forcing 1NT bid "proposed" to play in NT....

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users