BBO Discussion Forums: Looking for Android app for exercising cards played memory - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for Android app for exercising cards played memory

#1 User is offline   JT23456 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-April-11, 18:45

I have pretty good cards played memory - but not my wife. We are both 73. Looking for an app or other software that would help card memory - any ideas?

#2 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-11, 21:23

View PostJT23456, on 2017-April-11, 18:45, said:

I have pretty good cards played memory - but not my wife. We are both 73. Looking for an app or other software that would help card memory - any ideas?

Good question!

An excellent habit to form is to name each pip. Rather than simply call for a "spade please", say "three of spades". It trains your mind to observe pips.

I practice recalling the opponents' pips best when I play in person. Before I turn over my card, I repeat the pips internally twice. It starts to happen automatically after a while:
"Two, four, queen, ace"
"Three, seven, king, eight"

Simply remembering "low, low, king, low" often backfires if later in the hand you check their system card and it says "odd pip = blabla, even pip = blabla" :)

I'll follow this thread and see if other people have better techniques or a link to effective software

#3 User is offline   1stpanda 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-April-12, 06:04

Just download one of the many spades apps and play. It's a fun game, and since probably 30% of the tricks are won by ruffing you get great practice counting hands and watching spots.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-12, 06:20

BBO solitaire would work well for this, I think.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2017-April-12, 13:40

Count to 13 four times :) Seriously,the secret is to keep practising. Eventually it will become second
nature. I speak from experience :)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-12, 15:00

View PostVampyr, on 2017-April-12, 06:20, said:

BBO solitaire would work well for this, I think.

Yeah, just playing bridge is the way to do it. The solitaire games on BBO provide a way to play lots of hands without bothering other players with your practicing.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-12, 16:35

It only works, however, if that's what you are concentrating on. Not the bidding, not the score, not the hockey game, not the random life around you, not "oh, I have to get off in two stops", not the Ugly American (sorry, but he was) who thinks he is entitled not only to both armrests, but to the three inches of the other side of the armrest as well/accidentally "sleeping" and dropping their hand on your leg/whatever.

Given that I tend to play BBO solitaire when I have 5-30 minutes to kill and usually something else going on, it doesn't do much for my counting skills.

Having said that, *after* you have some semblance of counting skills, being in a heavily distracting environment and still trying to concentrate on it is a good way to improve your ability to concentrate at the table, with the post-morteming at the next one, the griping about the claim that will eventually lead to a director call, but only after it gets louder and louder, the people knocking your chair getting coffee,...

One problem with BBO solitaire from a counting perspective is the robots' unusual carding schemes (or lack thereof). It's hard to work on internalizing count signals (and recognizing falsecarding) when you're defending against "what's a signal?"
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   huskers1 

• Pip

Posted 2017-April-12, 16:48

View PostJT23456, on 2017-April-11, 18:45, said:

I use the Counting I & II software created by Mike Lawrence. He partnered up with Fred G. to create the software. Not sure how much it costs but I have found it to be very beneficial. Plus, you learn more than just counting. His website http://www.michaelslawrence.com should provide you with the necessary information.

#9 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-April-16, 16:01

I believe the critical part to card memory is to put it in context of the whole hand.

I was once told of a study done with chess masters. They were presented with a board with some pieces on it and given some number of seconds to memorize the position, then asked to duplicate the position. Players were very good at recalling the positions that came from actual games, not so good at memorizing the random assortment of pieces.

I believe the same sort of thing applies to bridge. If a player notes a card played because of its significance in the hand, that is much more likely to be remembered than if the cards being played are considered a random assortment of cards. If you look at a lead and notice that it is the lowest outstanding spot or that there is one lower outstanding (and note the importance of that) you are more likely to remember the card played than if you just try to remember it was the three and make the connection three tricks later. That sort of thing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users