BBO Discussion Forums: Opening bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening bid

Poll: Opening bid (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you open?

1. 1H (16 votes [61.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

2. 2H (7 votes [26.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.92%

3. Pass (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Something else (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-01, 14:40

View Postmike777, on 2016-September-01, 13:50, said:

easy weak 2h opener, again partner and the opp need to know we might have this hand type.
If partner passes and you're cold for five, it doesn't matter that partner knows you could hold this hand type because he's going to play you for the hand type you are much more likely to hold.

This is similar to the situation where someone plays all their two bids (including 2C) weak. "Partner knows I might have 28 points when I open 1S" but he's still going to play the odds and pass with a random 2-count; if he doesn't then you're going to be in a lot of hopeless games when you have the more typical 20 and play him for the more typical 6-point minimum.

#22 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-September-01, 16:01

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-September-01, 14:40, said:

If partner passes and you're cold for five, it doesn't matter that partner knows you could hold this hand type because he's going to play you for the hand type you are much more likely to hold.

This is similar to the situation where someone plays all their two bids (including 2C) weak. "Partner knows I might have 28 points when I open 1S" but he's still going to play the odds and pass with a random 2-count; if he doesn't then you're going to be in a lot of hopeless games when you have the more typical 20 and play him for the more typical 6-point minimum.

For starters it may help if you quote me in full if you disagree rather than edit my comments.

I agree with your main point that holding 6-5 is rare for a weak 2h opener. I am much less worried about missing 5 which is your second point.

You dont say this but posters fail to make the case that opening 1h makes it significantly more likely to get to a making 5.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users