Your hand:-

Aqtx
Aqx
Axx
10xx

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2016-February-21, 17:20

Double sounds good but the hand's distribution is ugly. We may pass and double 3 later but that could be showing some clubs or not understood as strong. 3NT right away also sounds plausible, though the lack of a club stopper seems bad; we could try passing and bidding 3NT later. Is thois MP's or Imp's? Maybe double is better for Imp's and NT for MP's.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-22, 00:20

Pass
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-22, 06:30

Pass, rapidly. If partner does not protect, we have nothing. If he doubled, I pass again.

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-22, 07:42

Unfavorable and LHO opened weak? To pass now would feel like giving the ops a license to steal from me.

On the other hand, no bid seems good.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-22, 08:46

View Postbillw55, on 2016-February-22, 07:42, said:

Unfavorable and LHO opened weak? To pass now would feel like giving the ops a license to steal from me.

On the other hand, no bid seems good.

These are my thoughts too. I really want to X here but it feels too risky, particularly with only 3 hearts. Being able to pass in tempo here (not something I'd do, most likely) is perhaps a sign you've graduated from advanced to expert :)

One way of looking at this might be to construct possible hands for partner where we have a game, which would almost certainly be 3NT. If we give partner a 2443 given RHO's preference for clubs over spades, he'd have to have the HK, DQ or DK, and two stoppers (AJx) in clubs, for example. And then he's pretty close to a double of 2S. Even if partner has 5 hearts and we get to 3H or 4H instead, our hand isn't great for him as it has no ruffing power and no long suit tricks. I'd say odds favour the pass.

ahydra

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-22, 09:13

IMPS = pass MP = x

I expect to get a positive score around 70% of the time with the opps playing 3m. x At MP makes a ton of sense since increasing a penalty by a mere 50 translates into more MP. The same cannot be said at IMPS. The x brings only a tiny amount of imps and the times the opps make turns a quiet board into a disaster.

3n sounds like a fun bid but partner rates to hold 3/4 spades leaving them with much less room to have a long suit. With the spade honors poorly located, we will be hard pressed to come up with 9+ tricks and if p pulls to 4h the opening spade salvo is going to put us in a bad situation immediately. 3N is bound to work sometimes but will it make up for the many times it fails or fails disastrously? I am unsure and it feels wrong to put so much on the line when I like our odds of a plus anyway.

Sometimes the opps make preempts that find you with a difficult hand to bid they WORK.

#8 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-22, 16:57

Pass for me at any form of scoring. I don't really consider it close but IANAE.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#9 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-28, 14:49

I hate getting stolen from as much as anyone, especially red/white vs some shenanigan preempt but I think you just have to pass here. All the warning signs are there. That being said if partner has like 6 hearts and short clubs our hand can be good (esp if he has a spade honor, eg even Jxx Kxxxxx xxx x will probably make game on a stiff spade lead and he can have more than that obv). But the spades are offside/not splitting, if he has 5 hearts trumps are more likely than usual to be 4/1, we only have 3 hearts, 3 clubs to the ten is terrible, we have good defense against 3C after our trump lead etc.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-February-28, 15:06

I'm passing.

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-29, 01:26

Partner has kx 109xxx kqjxx x. double will presumably get you, one way or the other, to 4h making. 3nt was bid at the table which was a swift -1.

If you pass partner will double. It was suggested that this hand should float the double with such good spades. I think that's a rather poor idea. 6 of a red suit could be on if p has spade values which he often will for the delayed double, even with the 33 red shape and the penalty would only have been 100 from 3cx.

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-01, 13:09

View Postwank, on 2016-February-29, 01:26, said:

If you pass partner will double. It was suggested that this hand should float the double with such good spades. I think that's a rather poor idea. 6 of a red suit could be on if p has spade values which he often will for the delayed double, even with the 33 red shape and the penalty would only have been 100 from 3cx.

Over (2S)-p-(3C)-p; (p)-X-(p), I agree with not passing the X (especially at this vul), but what should this hand bid? 3NT is probably out of the question given the lack of club stop, so... 3D? 4C? At the table I'd be so stuck the opps would be able to guess my entire hand just from the hesitation :)

ahydra

#13 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-01, 16:30

View Postahydra, on 2016-March-01, 13:09, said:

Over (2S)-p-(3C)-p; (p)-X-(p), I agree with not passing the X (especially at this vul), but what should this hand bid? 3NT is probably out of the question given the lack of club stop, so... 3D? 4C? At the table I'd be so stuck the opps would be able to guess my entire hand just from the hesitation :)

ahydra

3S
The artist formerly known as jlall

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users