BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#16001 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-01, 07:33

From ‘The Moms Are Here’: ‘Wall of Moms’ Groups Mobilize Nationwide by Dani Blum at NYT

In the flurry of videos and social media posts that have emerged from the protests in Portland, Ore., activist moms are everywhere. They sing lullabies. They link arm–in–arm, forming a human barricade between protesters and federal agents. Some wear respirators, gas masks and helmets. Some hand out sunflowers.

On one night of protests last week, they chanted, “Feds stay clear! The moms are here!” On another, they repeated the word, “Mama,” over and over, echoing a final plea from George Floyd, who was killed in police custody in May.

The “Wall of Moms,” as the group calls itself, formed after Beverley Barnum, who goes by “Bev,” 35, a mother of two in Portland, scrolled through social media posts one night in bed and saw videos of federal agents placing protesters in unmarked vehicles. Through a Facebook group, she rallied a few dozen moms who then showed up at a demonstration on the night of July 18.

Since then, the Wall of Moms has continued to protest nightly in Portland, with hundreds of women dressed in yellow to identify themselves as participants turning out. A Wall of Dads has also joined the front lines of the protests, many carrying leaf blowers to redirect the tear gas that federal agents have deployed.

Posted ImageThe Wall of Moms march towards the Multnomah County Justice Center in Portland, Ore.Credit...Mason Trinca for The New York Times

More recently, new chapters of Wall of Moms collectives have mobilized across the country, with several turning out at demonstrations on Saturday. A group of about 50 Wall of Moms participants marched in Seattle as clashes between police and protesters intensified, said Christine Edgar, who helped organize the local chapter. One of those arrested, Sonia Alexander, 46, a mother of two, said she was taken to the emergency room after a flash-bang grenade exploded near her leg.

A delegation in Oakland, Calif., waved large peace signs and marched at the front of a demonstration; one mom carried a sign that read, “Schedule: Bath time, Bed time, Fight fascists, Defend Black lives, Repeat.” In Aurora, Colo., on Saturday, the Wall of Moms held arms and flowers at a protest in honor of Elijah McClain, a 23-year-old who died last summer after police in Aurora restrained him with a chokehold. At Saturday’s demonstration, a person was shot and wounded after a car drove through the crowd.

Wall of Moms groups in Missouri, North Carolina, Alabama, Texas, Chicago and Maryland are reaching out to local activists and plotting their next steps, organizers from each group said in interviews.

Gia Gilk, 45, a mother in Albuquerque, N.M., started a Facebook group to organize a local Wall of Moms chapter last week, thinking she would attract 30 or 40 members. Within 24 hours, she said, almost 3,000 moms had signed up. “I’ve never done anything like this before,” said Gilk, about coordinating the group. “I just think it’s time for us to finally stand up.”

The Wall of Moms exists to protect and amplify protesters, organizers say. An official online “tool kit” (designed by the group in Portland) for starting a Wall of Moms chapter, stresses that groups should reach out to local Black Lives Matter and racial justice organizations. Wall of Moms members are directed to take cues from local activists: to not speak at protests unless they’re asked, and to donate any funds raised to Black-led organizations.

The Wall of Moms groups consist of predominantly white women who have garnered a swell of attention that Black mothers protesting in Portland for months did not receive, participants and organizers said in interviews. That attention is not lost on the participants nor the organizations they partner with, some said. “Black moms are leading this,” said Jennifer Kristiansen, 37, a lawyer and Wall of Moms member who was arrested during a Portland demonstration. “Moms didn’t just show up a couple nights ago. Black moms have always been there.”

For some longtime activists, the Wall of Moms’ momentum demonstrates how widespread the movement against racism and police brutality has become.

“These moms are realizing people need protection,” said Nicole Roussell, 32, who helped organize a protest in Washington, D.C., on Saturday where Wall of Moms members showed up. “They’re spontaneously popping up all around the country, days before the protest, and then coming out — it just really shows the current movement is getting broader and wider and deeper.”

In Portland, Wall of Moms has partnered with Don’t Shoot Portland, a police accountability organization. “Most of them have never protested before. They felt called,” said Tai Carpenter, 29, the president of Don’t Shoot Portland. “A lot of us have been on the front lines for a long time organizing. To come in at a moment like this, it’s crazy. These moms are seeing it head-on — it’s a different perspective.”

Julianne Jackson, 35, a longtime activist and Portland mother who helped lead Wall of Moms at a march last week, said the group provides a powerful symbol. “When you see a mom get tear-gassed, and they’re very clearly labeled a mom, they’re not starting trouble, they’re wearing high-waisted pants and trying to live their life — when you see that, it’s an incredible sight,” Jackson said.

Mothers have long played a critical role in activism in the U.S., but particularly of late. In 2015 in Chicago, Black mothers founded Mothers/Men Against Senseless Killings, a community group focused on violence prevention and food and housing insecurity. Mothers of the Movement, a collective of Black women whose children were killed in clashes with the police or by gun violence, have traveled across the country since 2016 to speak about their experiences and push for legislative change. And in June, Maebel Gebremedhin, 33, a Brooklyn mother of three, organized a local Children’s March focused on families and kids.

Back in 2013, Collette Flanagan started Mothers Against Police Brutality, after police in Dallas killed her son Clinton Allen. While her group is not affiliated with Wall of Moms, Flanagan said in an interview that she supports them and is “in awe” of them. “The power of being a mother, whether you have lost a child or not, is that because you’re a mother, you’re able to absorb another mother’s pain,” she said. “That becomes a very powerful chain of resistance,” she said.

The Wall of Moms groups are using that bond between mothers in the way it should be used, she said. “It can’t be penetrated. That’s why people are noticing, because there’s nothing else like it.”

That unifying connection is part of what has drawn moms to join the protest. For the last few nights, Savanna Taylor, 28, of Portland, has found someone (usually her mom) to watch her 4-year-old son, so she could join the Wall of Moms in front of the courthouse. Some nights she arrived back home between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m., after hours of marching and chanting, after federal agents deployed so much tear gas that some of the mothers she locked arms with had vomited and wet themselves, she said. “Seeing moms in solidarity is what gets people, because they know we’ve got kids at home. We’re trying to protect everyone’s kids as if they were our own,” Taylor said.

Raising kids by day. Saving democracy by night. No problem for moms.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#16002 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-01, 08:25

View Posty66, on 2020-August-01, 05:48, said:

NPR: Citing Election Delay Tweet, Influential Trump Ally Now Demands His Re-Impeachment

It's sad to see men of principle like Calabresi and Bolton abandoning our demented leader.

I looked up the Calabresi op-ed and I have a comment or two related to it.

Calabresi: "President Trump needs to be told by every Republican in Congress that he cannot postpone the federal election. "
This is not quite right. What we need is "Every Republican in Congress, and every Democrat for that matter, must make it clear to ll that we will not postpone the election." Private conversations with DT no longer suffice. I have no history of paranoia, so I claim at least, but I am getting worried. Ds and Rs together must make it clear that yes, there are reasons for concern about how to conduct the election. But let's leave no room for ambiguity. We will be putting substantial effort into making the election work as smoothly as possible, we will do our best, and then the election will be held, as scheduled, the votes will be counted, a winner will be declared. The time has passed for behind closed door conversations with DT. We need unambiguous public commitments. And that means now, not some time down the road.

As for my own voting, I have recently decided to use a mail-in ballot. I will request one very soon. My thinking is that Maryland needs to have a fair estimate of how many will be doing what. Preparing for a large number of in-person ballots would be difficult, and preparing for a large number of mail-in ballots will be difficult, so it is desirable for the state to have some idea of how these numbers will break down. If out governor says " We are being overwhelmed by the number of planned mail-ins, I hope everyone who can do in-person voting will do so" then I will cooperate and vote in-person. But I am thinking it might well be easier to prepare for a large number of mail-ins than it would be to prepare for a large number of in-person voters.

I expect the election to be in November as scheduled, I will be voting, I expect Maryland officials to prepare for the needs of voters. And then we will have an election, a count of votes, and a winner. We all need to insist on this, regardless of who we intend to vote for.

Ken

#16003 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-August-01, 09:20

I used a mail-in ballot for a special county election last month. It appeared to go smoothly. I did not check to see if my vote was recorded. I'll do that.

I have requested a mail-in ballot for November which I will return promptly after it arrives. In Virginia, the rules for processing mail-in ballots are:

Processing can begin: Before Election Day as needed to expedite counting absentee ballots.

Counting can begin: Ballots may be inserted into ballot-counting machines prior to the closing of the polls, but no ballot count totals by the machines shall be initiated until the polls close. If absentee ballots are counted by hand, tallying may begin after 3 p.m. on Election Day. Vote counts may not be reported until after the polls close.

Very sensible compared to Maryland which does not allow processing or counting until after the election which probably dates back to 1788. Link to rules for each state: https://www.ncsl.org...-can-begin.aspx
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#16004 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-August-01, 10:00

Just heard that the Texas congressman who says he got COVID from wearing a mask is pregnant and blaming it on the millions of people who told him to go f#ck himself.

#16005 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2020-August-01, 10:01

View Posty66, on 2020-August-01, 07:33, said:

From 'The Moms Are Here': 'Wall of Moms' Groups Mobilize Nationwide by Dani Blum at NYT

Raising kids by day. Saving democracy by night. No problem for moms.

I'm having flashbacks of 1968 and they ain't good.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#16006 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-August-01, 10:05

View Postkenberg, on 2020-August-01, 08:25, said:

I looked up the Calabresi op-ed and I have a comment or two related to it.

Calabresi: "President Trump needs to be told by every Republican in Congress that he cannot postpone the federal election. "
This is not quite right. What we need is "Every Republican in Congress, and every Democrat for that matter, must make it clear to ll that we will not postpone the election." Private conversations with DT no longer suffice. I have no history of paranoia, so I claim at least, but I am getting worried. Ds and Rs together must make it clear that yes, there are reasons for concern about how to conduct the election. But let's leave no room for ambiguity. We will be putting substantial effort into making the election work as smoothly as possible, we will do our best, and then the election will be held, as scheduled, the votes will be counted, a winner will be declared. The time has passed for behind closed door conversations with DT. We need unambiguous public commitments. And that means now, not some time down the road.

As for my own voting, I have recently decided to use a mail-in ballot. I will request one very soon. My thinking is that Maryland needs to have a fair estimate of how many will be doing what. Preparing for a large number of in-person ballots would be difficult, and preparing for a large number of mail-in ballots will be difficult, so it is desirable for the state to have some idea of how these numbers will break down. If out governor says " We are being overwhelmed by the number of planned mail-ins, I hope everyone who can do in-person voting will do so" then I will cooperate and vote in-person. But I am thinking it might well be easier to prepare for a large number of mail-ins than it would be to prepare for a large number of in-person voters.

I expect the election to be in November as scheduled, I will be voting, I expect Maryland officials to prepare for the needs of voters. And then we will have an election, a count of votes, and a winner. We all need to insist on this, regardless of who we intend to vote for.

I think you are grossly underestimating the corruption of the national Republican party, and their cult members' insane but unrelenting devotion to their own enslavement by faith.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#16007 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2020-August-01, 13:51

View PostWinstonm, on 2020-August-01, 10:05, said:

I think you are grossly underestimating the corruption of the national Republican party, and their cult members' insane but unrelenting devotion to their own enslavement by faith.

Maybe, but I don't actually think so. At the risk of sounding hopelessly naive I quote The Lady Eve "The best are not as good as you think they are and the bad ones are not as bad. Not nearly as bad". Ok. Trump is not only as bad as I think he is, he is worse. So I give up on him. Long ago. But the rest of us, some of us sometime, can work together,. Some will, some won't. If we do not allow for that possibility, then of course it won't happen.

Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue....

Ok, I return us now to our regularly scheduled pessimism. But I am not suggesting we not watch our backs, not at all.
Ken

#16008 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-August-01, 14:49

View Postkenberg, on 2020-August-01, 13:51, said:

Maybe, but I don't actually think so. At the risk of sounding hopelessly naive I quote The Lady Eve "The best are not as good as you think they are and the bad ones are not as bad. Not nearly as bad". Ok. Trump is not only as bad as I think he is, he is worse. So I give up on him. Long ago. But the rest of us, some of us sometime, can work together,. Some will, some won't. If we do not allow for that possibility, then of course it won't happen.

Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue....

Ok, I return us now to our regularly scheduled pessimism. But I am not suggesting we not watch our backs, not at all.

Your thoughts spurred my to a new consideration. What it seems to me - at least nationally - is that the Tea Party branch has hijacked the Republican party. How did that happen? It occurs to me that it may be because of gerrymandering. There is no need to run moderates in heavily gerrymandered districts, in fact, the crazier the candidate the better. Wouldn't it be the ultimate irony if it turns out that the Republican party committed suicide by gerrymander?

#16009 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-01, 18:25

SEE IT: Filmmaker makes viral video capturing racism in Arkansas city

A white filmmaker who held a “Black Lives Matter” sign in Harrison, Ark., captured in a viral video the racist bile he witnessed as people passed him in the city the Ku Klux Klan calls home.

In the clip, people flip off the camera and hurl profanities and slurs. The video was published by Rob Bliss and has hauled in more than 1.4 million views on YouTube,

The article is completely wrong about one fact. Harrison is not the headquarters of the KKK. KKK headquarters are at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC.

#16010 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-August-02, 08:27

Cliff Levy, Associate Managing Editor at NYT said:

“We’re signing a health-care plan within two weeks, a full and complete health-care plan,” Trump vowed in a July 19 interview.

That means by today, but there’s no evidence of a plan.

https://www.washingt...8e0d_story.html

#16011 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2020-August-02, 08:48

Ten bucks left, no place to go: How the pandemic and a broken unemployment system are upending people’s lives

What a joke our government has become.

#16012 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-03, 00:46

We should perhaps have a separate offshoot thread on the topic: "How both sides are trying hard to lose the Presidential elections"

e.g. Biden has alienated a large swathe of progressives/socialists by completely rejecting Medicare For All. Another issue (which I was not aware of until this election) is the decriminalisation of marijuana; again completely rejected by Biden.
On the other hand, Trump is being Trump. Plus there are rumours that he will remove Pence from his ticket and replace with someone else!!!

I am sure there will be numerous other actions --- by Trump or Biden --- which knowledgeable Americans would be able to include under such a topic.

#16013 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-03, 03:08

View Postshyams, on 2020-August-03, 00:46, said:

On the other hand, Trump is being Trump. Plus there are rumours that he will remove Pence from his ticket and replace with someone else!!!

Yes, I've heard he is going to replace Pence with himself. That way if he wins the election and gets impeached again but this time is convicted by the Senate, then he could be replaced by the Vice-President who is also himself. :lol:

#16014 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-August-03, 03:46

View Postjohnu, on 2020-August-03, 03:08, said:

Yes, I've heard he is going to replace Pence with himself. That way if he wins the election and gets impeached again but this time is convicted by the Senate, then he could be replaced by the Vice-President who is also himself. :lol:

And then he could pardon himself

#16015 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-August-03, 07:10

We should perhaps have a separate offshoot thread on the topic: "How both sides are trying hard to lose the Presidential elections"

e.g. Biden has alienated a large swathe of progressives/socialists by completely rejecting Medicare For All. Another issue (which I was not aware of until this election) is the decriminalisation of marijuana; again completely rejected by Biden.

I am sure there will be numerous other actions --- by Trump or Biden --- which knowledgeable Americans would be able to include under such a topic.

I don't get the problem. Biden takes a center of politics point of view, rather than, what in the USA is considered to be, a radical left-wing position. Wouldn't that make him more electable?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#16016 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-August-03, 07:18

This is why I've harped on the narcissism of Donald Trump as critical to understand in order to know who is in power:

Donald Trump knows he is losing, and that should make us all very afraid, regardless of our political views

On May 31st, The New York Times reported that Trump had been "rushed" into the White House bunker as protestors massed outside the White House in Lafayette Park. Trump was humiliated. It looked like he ran, like a coward, from the BLM protesters. To the jeers of comedians and Tweeters, he claimed he was only "inspecting" the bunker while demanding the leaker who revealed his bunker trip be criminally prosecuted.

With Trump that can only mean one thing. He had to strike back viciously.

"This isn't going to stop until the good guys are willing to use overwhelming force against the bad guys," Trump retweeted that day.The next day, June 1, in a conference call with the nation's governors about civil unrest around BLM protests, most were seeking a path to de-escalation. Trump was contemptuous and disgusted: "Most of you are weak. If you don't dominate…You're going to look like a bunch of jerks. You have to dominate."

That same afternoon, Trump followed his own advice. Unmarked federal agents violently cleared peaceful protestors from the park with tear gas. The tables had been turned. Instead of Trump hiding in his bunker, it was his enemies who had to run for cover in a panic. Trump walked triumphantly, military leaders in tow, from the White House to St James Church for a photo op where he awkwardly held an upside down Bible over his head, and grinned. He showed them who was boss.

We would like to suggest this timeline is no coincidence. We think there may be a cause and effect relationship between the two events. The clearing of Lafayette Square was triggered by Trump's humiliation in the bunker.

For normal folks, it is difficult to understand that an emotion - shame - can overwhelm and control thoughts and actions for days at a time. But that is who is in office. And it explains why Trump has no reality and only cares about how he is perceived, because all he is ever trying to do 24-7 is manage his own emotional levels.

#16017 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-August-03, 07:22

Wrong word. Disappointed, not alienated. Biden is a lot like Obama. He understands that politically he has zero chance of single payer health insurance, so why even indicate that he would try to force that through and risk truly alienating moderates, who comprise the majority of swing voters.

In the U.S., there are solid Democratic votes and sold Republican votes that do not change. National elections are decided by the votes of those moderates.

(I know it is hard to understand or believe, but there are millions of older voters who still retain their cold-war knee-jerk reaction to the word socialism. This is wrapped up in the U.S. propaganda that painted the cold war as atheist versus Christian nation so all those old American church goers and believers hold that grudge against what they were taught, that communism and socialism were the equivalents to atheism.)

#16018 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-August-03, 08:26

It's also worth noting that none of the candidates endorsing single payer were able to win the Democratic primary.

And single payer polls a whole lot better on this side of the aisle than with the general electorate
Alderaan delenda est

#16019 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-August-03, 09:09

View PostTrinidad, on 2020-August-03, 07:10, said:

I don't get the problem. Biden takes a center of politics point of view, rather than, what in the USA is considered to be, a radical left-wing position. Wouldn't that make him more electable?

Rik

That is the reason a few months back I posted that I had decided that Biden would make the best challenger against Trump - anticipating a close election at that time, I felt it critical to not displace the moderate Democrats and Not-thrilled-with-Trump Republicans who might could vote for Biden but would choose Trump over someone thought of as too radically leftist, i.e., Warren or Sanders.

#16020 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2020-August-03, 12:58

How long before Trump turns on AG Barr for Barr telling him the president had absolute immunity?

Manhattan DA Cites ‘Extensive’ Criminal Conduct At Trump Organization In Court Filing

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

94 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 94 guests, 0 anonymous users