BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#6901 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-23, 16:35

ldrews, on 2017-July-23, 11:18, said:

So you are taking the position that even if it made a difference in the number of lives saved/killed, that providing pussy is ludicrous/unacceptable?

Would you provide him with children too? How about LSD? Where do you think the line should be drawn?
(-: Zel :-)

#6902 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-July-23, 17:03

ldrews, on 2017-July-23, 11:18, said:

So you are taking the position that even if it made a difference in the number of lives saved/killed, that providing pussy is ludicrous/unacceptable?

It is my great hope that we never have to make this choice.
The conversation has become ridiculous. At some point we all just exit.
Ken

#6903 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-July-23, 18:04

kenberg, on 2017-July-23, 17:03, said:

This is exactly what the Trump supporters want. They want reasonable people to abandon public discourse.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6904 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-July-23, 18:45

Winstonm, on 2017-July-23, 18:04, said:

This is exactly what the Trump supporters want. They want reasonable people to abandon public discourse.

Winstonm, exactly how much chance is there that you would exit this public discourse?

#6905 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-23, 18:56

I hope we never have to make such a choice, but the real world doesn't always cooperate.

I'm reminded of the stories of family businesses in New York City or other large cities, who are approached by individuals who lament that it would be terrible if something happened to their business, but that they offer protection against such things. What is the business owner to do? It is extremely difficult for police and the legal system to offer realistic protection against such extortion. Should the owner pay up and continue on with his business and support for his family? Should he take the risk of telling the individual to take a hike? Should he shut down his business, built up over years, and move to another location? Should he take the risk of involving the police (assuming the police are honest).

What would you do, realistically?

These are sometimes the choices faced by families in the real world. You do what you have to do to survive and prosper, even when you don't like it.

#6906 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-23, 19:51

There are 6,904 posts in this thread. I have read all 6,904, Ken's post above being probably the most sensible. The bottom line is:
1. Donald J. Trump is the President of the United States until 2020 (maybe beyond).
2. He is not going to resign.
3. He is not going to be impeached.
4. Hillary Clinton is not going to be the POTUS
5. Yes, the Repubs are liars
6. So are the Dems

Perhaps you should start working on something else....maybe the crazy little fat kid in North Korea.

#6907 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-July-23, 23:36

Chas_P, on 2017-July-23, 19:51, said:

5. Yes, the Repubs are liars
6. So are the Dems

Perhaps better expressed:-
5. The Dems lie regularly
6. The Reps lie somewhat more often
7. Trump lies all the time

Accepting the argument of "She tells some lies so it is no different if almost everything I say is untrue" is essentially what got you in this mess in the first place.
(-: Zel :-)

#6908 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-24, 05:47

Zelandakh, on 2017-July-23, 23:36, said:

Perhaps better expressed:-
5. The Dems lie regularly
6. The Reps lie somewhat more often
7. Trump lies all the time

Accepting the argument of "She tells some lies so it is no different if almost everything I say is untrue" is essentially what got you in this mess in the first place.

Do you honestly believe the shade of gray you made between 5 & 6?

Politicians are notorious liars on both sides of the aisle. I think to try to qualify one party as less of a liar than another is a useless intellectual exercise. They lie when it is politically expedient and when they perceive minimal fallout from doing so.

#6909 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-24, 18:20

RedSpawn, on 2017-July-24, 05:47, said:

Politicians are notorious liars on both sides of the aisle.

"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." And "It depends on what the meaning of the word is is. If the...if he...if is means is and never has been, that is not - that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement." come to mind.

#6910 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-July-24, 20:40

Chas_P, on 2017-July-24, 18:20, said:

"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor." And "It depends on what the meaning of the word is is. If the...if he...if is means is and never has been, that is not - that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement." come to mind.

How about "Your president is not a crook," or "The murder rate in our country is the highest it’s been in 47 years."
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6911 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-July-25, 09:16

Chas_P, on 2017-July-24, 18:20, said:

"It depends on what the meaning of the word is is" is a fine illustration of the difference between legality and common sense. If I stand in front of you and say "I am not having sex with Monica" that certainly is true because I am standing it front of you and Monica is nowhere in sight. Exactly how far that sort of argument will stand up in a court of law, and I hope there are limits to this, is a matter for lawyers to debate. You and I know a lie when we hear one, regardless of just how it is constructed.

There were several aspects to this. You no doubt recal when .Madeleine Albright gave her statement of support, here is a review of it. https://partners.nyt...on-friends.html

The highest profile members of the administration, no doubt, will also be sorting out their feelings. In January, Clinton assured his Cabinet he was innocent, and Madeleine Albright, the secretary of state, stepped out onto the White House driveway to back him up.

"I believe the allegations are completely untrue," she said.

"I'll second that. Definitely," said William Daley, the commerce secretary.

"Third it," said Donna Shalala, the secretary of health and human services.

Ok, nobody expects all that much from Commerce or from HHS, and as I recall the Education guy was there too, but the Secretary od State? My reaction was that we are serious trouble if she really is that naive. Sort of like the current Cabinet telling Trump how great he is. Or Scaramucci saying how much he loves him. Good grief. If I ever started telling everyone how much I loved any boss I ever had he, or she, would probably fire me. Or at least strongly suggest that I shut up about it.

But still, there are differences in degree. We need to have some work done on our garage floor, and I have had someone out. Of course I will read the contract before I sign it, but my gut tells me the guy is a straight shooter. He and his son were out, I liked them both. A couple of years ago we needed our roof replaced. I could barely stand to deal with the salesmen I encountered. At one point, in exasperation, I said to one of them "I guess this is how things are done in the roofing industry, I will just have to deal with it". No doubt I was just having some bad luck, I eventually succeeded, but I see Trump as one of those roofing salesmen. He is a reality that we have to accept, but really I think it is reasonable to expect better, even from a politician.

Of course we are told that Trump is not a politician, he is a real estate guy. Enough said.
Ken

#6912 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-25, 11:01

ldrews, on 2017-July-23, 18:56, said:

These are sometimes the choices faced by families in the real world. You do what you have to do to survive and prosper, even when you don't like it.

There's a huge difference between being coerced into choosing the lesser of two evils (or worse, having to make a "Sophie's Choice"), and voluntarily performing repugnant acts. It's not like Trump has his finger on the button and is saying "Bring me some pussy or I'll press this". You were suggesting that we proactively provide him with prostitutes to keep him happy. And you suggested that this would help him act more sanely, which I'm not sure I believe -- more likely, it will just distract him. What's the point of electing him if we don't think he can behave presidential on his own?

#6913 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-July-25, 11:46

Sex worker is an honorable and legal profession in many countries. At the very least having a mistress is a common practice over history for Presidents, Kings and Czars. If our leader the Great and Wonderful Putin has one it seems small hands trump would be allowed one.

#6914 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-25, 12:56

I think now that the ldrews troll has shown his true colours, it is time to ignore him?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6915 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-25, 15:16

cherdano, on 2017-July-25, 12:56, said:

I think now that the ldrews troll has shown his true colours, it is time to ignore him?

When you just can't stand to have people express their opinions and perspectives because they don't coincide with yours.....end the discourse....of course! Pathetic. Welcome the divergent and opposing viewpoints. This is how we advance and correct our understanding. When you know it all, why bother to contribute other than to correct and indoctrinate? Higher education is lacking in tolerance and openness, apparently. But just blow off anyone that has a different P.O.V. because that would require some effort to look more deeply into the issues.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#6916 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-July-25, 15:43

Al_U_Card, on 2017-July-25, 15:16, said:

When you just can't stand to have people express their opinions and perspectives because they don't coincide with yours.....end the discourse....of course! Pathetic. Welcome the divergent and opposing viewpoints. This is how we advance and correct our understanding. When you know it all, why bother to contribute other than to correct and indoctrinate? Higher education is lacking in tolerance and openness, apparently. But just blow off anyone that has a different P.O.V. because that would require some effort to look more deeply into the issues.

My god, get a ***** clue. Do you even know what I am referring to?
ldrews is clearly supporting Trump as president. He also thinks it is fine if Trump needs to grab pussies now and then in order to function effectively.

Saying he is a pathetic troll is the most generous possible interpretation. If ldrews truly stood behind what he is writing here, he would be a case for the FBI to deal with.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6917 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-25, 16:07

cherdano, on 2017-July-25, 15:43, said:

My god, get a ***** clue. Do you even know what I am referring to?
ldrews is clearly supporting Trump as president. He also thinks it is fine if Trump needs to grab pussies now and then in order to function effectively.

Saying he is a pathetic troll is the most generous possible interpretation. If ldrews truly stood behind what he is writing here, he would be a case for the FBI to deal with.

Nice response. Are you a responsible adult? Giving lectures in advanced math notwithstanding. If you engage and respond, at least have the decency to respect the individual that you have graced with your attention... A lot of people supported Trump. So what? Discussing the issues will at least eliminate the gratuitous name-calling and other puerile activity. Your interpretation only reflects on your inability to appreciate and debate ldrews.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#6918 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-July-25, 16:41

I give everyone the respect they deserve. In case of ldrews-the-forum-poster (which may be quite different from ldrews-the-person - that's part of the definition of a troll), that means no respect.

If you want to have an intellectually stimulating discussion about proving President Trump with enough Pussy to grab so that he can function effectively, then please go ahead - I just don't want to see any of it.

#6919 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-July-25, 16:47

Al_U_Card, on 2017-July-25, 16:07, said:

Nice response. Are you a responsible adult? Giving lectures in advanced math notwithstanding. If you engage and respond, at least have the decency to respect the individual that you have graced with your attention... A lot of people supported Trump. So what? Discussing the issues will at least eliminate the gratuitous name-calling and other puerile activity. Your interpretation only reflects on your inability to appreciate and debate ldrews.

Some individuals and beliefs are not worthy of respect, not all opinions/beliefs are equal.

Supporting Trump - not my thing but OK, a lot of people did, that's a matter of opinion
Suggesting grabbing pussy is fine - that stuff stopped being in any way acceptable quite a while ago

Do you have to respect me or my opinion if I say I should be free to marry 6 12 year olds at the same time ? hell no.

#6920 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-July-25, 16:48

A: I think all 30-40 year olds whose surname starts with "S" should be burning on crosses, they are subverting our society with their secret plan to topple world government.
B: I think it's time to start ignoring A.
Al_U_Card: OH MY GOD CAN WE NOT HAVE A CIVIL CONVERSATION BETWEEN OPPOSING VIEWPOINTS???

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

107 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 107 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook