BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#4381 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-28, 19:27

y66, on 2017-January-28, 17:36, said:

Sorry cherdano. I did not see your post. You're right of course. It's not missing the thread to see Trump's voter fraud assertion as a ploy to further restrict voting rights but it is crass to belabor this point while hundreds of thousands of lives are being turned upside down.

No need to apologise. Of course I exaggerated to make a point (by which I stand by). Also agree with your point that Trump's lies will be used as a pretext for further voting restrictions.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4382 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-28, 19:58

Winstonm, on 2017-January-28, 19:21, said:

I think the time has come to discuss real resistance. What are the most effective ways to act to delay, hold up, alter, etc. Trump's activities?

Are there any good ways? This ban is shocking, something I never dreamt could happen in the United States.

And torture? Most people will say anything to make the torture stop. Whether or not it isinhumane to do this to murderers and terrorists, it is not information that can be regarded as accurate.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4383 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2017-January-28, 20:35

Vampyr, on 2017-January-28, 19:58, said:

Are there any good ways? This ban is shocking, something I never dreamt could happen in the United States.

It's a nasty order from a nasty man implemented in the nastiest possible way. Makes all Americans dirty by association.

Vampyr, on 2017-January-28, 19:58, said:

And torture? Most people will say anything to make the torture stop. Whether or not it is inhumane to do this to murderers and terrorists, it is not information that can be regarded as accurate.

Most of us know that, but Trump's statements to the contrary will be used by terrorists to justify the torture of Americans. This administration is already shaping up to be the disaster that many feared, but had hoped to be wrong about it.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#4384 User is online   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-January-28, 20:43

I do not think it too early to call senators and congressman and demand 25th Amendment action to remove Joker from Gotham City while there is still something worth saving.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4385 User is online   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-January-28, 20:45

Winstonm, on 2017-January-28, 19:21, said:

I think the time has come to discuss real resistance. What are the most effective ways to act to delay, hold up, alter, etc. Trump's activities?

10,000 people armed with Molotov cocktails marching on Trump Tower, the White House, and Mar-La-Go might get a message across...

Trump values his real estate holdings...
Time for them to burn
Alderaan delenda est

#4386 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-28, 20:52

I did warn about this guy. It now may be too late.
From WaPo:

President Trump ordered the Joint Chiefs of Staff to devise a strategy to defeat the Islamic State and restructured the National Security Council to include his controversial top political adviser, Stephen Bannon.

I think we kid ourselves if we think this problem only one of the U.S. It is a worldwide movement of authoritarians fearful of the change in status quo and looking for scapegoats and strongmen, like Trump and Bannon, to lead their cause.

History rhymes:

https://www.washingt...m=.e685f1d2ee1b
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4387 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-January-28, 21:14

hrothgar, on 2017-January-28, 20:45, said:

10,000 people armed with Molotov cocktails marching on Trump Tower, the White House, and Mar-La-Go might get a message across...

Trump values his real estate holdings...
Time for them to burn

Not a fan of Molotov cocktails. A permanent picket line in front of Trump's hotels (especially the DC ones) might be quite effective...
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4388 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-January-28, 21:31

Btw, based on his twitter retweets it looks as if our friend jonottawa has joined the "US freedom army". It seems as bad as the name sounds. (Nope, "army" is not meant in a metaphorical sense.)

#4389 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-28, 22:42

cherdano, on 2017-January-28, 21:31, said:

Btw, based on his twitter retweets it looks as if our friend jonottawa has joined the "US freedom army". It seems as bad as the name sounds. (Nope, "army" is not meant in a metaphorical sense.)

I had an aunt and uncle whose careers caused a relocation to Vicksburg, Mississippi, in the 1960s, and I visited them so I always knew people like jonottawa were around - but I have to admit I am shocked to find so many clones outside the deep South.

#4390 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-28, 22:46

Governor Mike Pence ✔ @GovPenceIN
Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional.
9:30 AM - 8 Dec 2015
156,025 156,025 Retweets 114,475 114,475 likes

Oops, I mean when anyone else does it is is bad. When we do it, it is about keeping us safe and making the U.S.S.A. great again.

#4391 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-29, 07:41

Apparently a lot of people (those who voted for Trump) feel that potential terrorism from people from the Middle East is a major problem. Trump has just made some attempt to address that perception/problem. If you object to his approach, how would you address that perception/problem?

#4392 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2017-January-29, 08:11

mikeh, on 2017-January-25, 18:40, said:

You know, this is exactly the problem I have been bemoaning: right wingers appear to lack any ability to look behind the little headlines that resonate with them. Thinking critically about the stuff they write seems beyond them.

btw, you have continued to prove your lack of intellect. Passed Out's figures were the differences between hand counted ballots (issued ballots) and machine counted ballots, which was in response to your fellow right wing poster's dishonest claim that there was widespread voter fraud in Wayne County

You are an arrogant, intolerant bigot. Your argument is so weak, you feel a need to include a personal insult. Elizabeth Warren hammers republican cabinet nominees on possible conflicts of interest. Truman said anyone who gets rich from public service is probably a crook.
Ann Coulter is right. Today's left is no different from yesterday's McCarthyism.

#4393 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2017-January-29, 08:16

hrothgar, on 2017-January-27, 11:19, said:

God damn you're stupid. The very first sentence in the profile reads

Thomas Countryman, a career member of the Senior Foreign Service, rank of Minister-Counselor, currently serves as Acting Under Secretary for Arms Control and International Security, a position to which he was appointed on October 9, 2016.

But what's truly infuriating about assholes like yourself is that you are so gleeful about your ignorance.
You actively look for opportunities to reject reality in order to signal tribal affiliation.

1) No personal attacks. Insults are a No-No. You can have issues with someone else's opinion and attack that (in a civilised manner hopefully), but don't go after anyone personally.

2) No advertising, no spam.

3) No obscenities.

hrothgar routinely breaks rules 1 and 3.

#4394 User is online   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-January-29, 08:31

jogs, on 2017-January-29, 08:16, said:

hrothgar routinely breaks rules 1 and 3.

Poor little snowflake likes to dish it out, but can't take it...
Now he needs to run off to the big bad moderator to spare his previous widdle feelings...
Alderaan delenda est

#4395 User is online   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-29, 08:55

jogs, on 2017-January-29, 08:11, said:

You are an arrogant, intolerant bigot. Your argument is so weak, you feel a need to include a personal insult. Elizabeth Warren hammers republican cabinet nominees on possible conflicts of interest. Truman said anyone who gets rich from public service is probably a crook.
Ann Coulter is right. Today's left is no different from yesterday's McCarthyism.

The Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:2-17 NKJV)
1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
5 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.

6 “You shall not murder.
7 “You shall not commit adultery.
8 “You shall not steal.
9 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10 “You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.”

Jogs routinely breaks rules 1 and 9.

#4396 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-January-29, 10:07

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 07:41, said:

Apparently a lot of people (those who voted for Trump) feel that potential terrorism from people from the Middle East is a major problem. Trump has just made some attempt to address that perception/problem. If you object to his approach, how would you address that perception/problem?

Banning permanent residents from re-entering the country is not an attempt to address "that problem". Its only purpose is to make life miserable for as many Muslims in the US as possible. Not because that would do anything useful, just so that Trump can show that he stuck it to them.

Ifor you are unable to see this, you are part of the problem.

#4397 User is online   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-January-29, 10:28

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 07:41, said:

Shoot the Trump voters?

Seriously, you have a bunch of folks with a a whole series of irrational beliefs.
I understand that Trump is going to cater to these, but the rest of us need to label this what it is...
Alderaan delenda est

#4398 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 10:30

Banning permanent residents from re-entering the country is not an attempt to address "that problem". Its only purpose is to make life miserable for as many Muslims in the US as possible. Not because that would do anything useful, just so that Trump can show that he stuck it to them.

This doesn't answer the question. What is your alternative solution?

#4399 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 10:32

Shoot the Trump voters?

Well, since Trump voters currently have power, would you find it acceptable for them to shoot you?

#4400 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 10:35

I find the reactions amazing! Trump says: "Give me 110% of what I want!" The opposition says:"110%! That is outrageous! Nobody gets that extra 10%! We won't give you more than 100%!" Trump:"OK"

• 1079 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

113 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 112 guests, 1 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Facebook