BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#18681 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-August-23, 22:26

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-August-23, 22:11, said:

I heard the same thing from Persian friends after the US involvement in supporting the Shah.
Sometimes doing things in the national interest of the USA isn't.

Yes, but back then there wasn't half the U.S. in support of a coup d'etat against their own newly elected lawful government.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#18682 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-24, 02:54

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-August-23, 22:26, said:

Yes, but back then there wasn't half the U.S. in support of a coup d'etat against their own newly elected lawful government.

Quite the opposite. I still recall the NSA at the time (whose daughter is now half of a popular news/opinion show) being reported as saying something to the effect of:
Well, we don't know much about Ayatollah Khomanei but how bad can he be? After all, he is a Cleric.

I'm reminded of George C Scott's General Buck Turgidson in Dr Strangelove:
"General Turgidson, when you instituted the human reliability tests, you assured me there was no possibility of such a thing ever occurring."
"Well, I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up sir."
http://bit.ly/OneSlipUpStrangelove

They couldn't stop the bombers because CRM114 prevents communication - clearly, Kubrick had experienced CRM problems of his own.

#18683 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-August-24, 06:09

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-August-24, 02:54, said:

Quite the opposite. I still recall the NSA at the time (whose daughter is now half of a popular news/opinion show) being reported as saying something to the effect of:
Well, we don't know much about Ayatollah Khomanei but how bad can he be? After all, he is a Cleric.

I'm reminded of George C Scott's General Buck Turgidson in Dr Strangelove:
"General Turgidson, when you instituted the human reliability tests, you assured me there was no possibility of such a thing ever occurring."
"Well, I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up sir."
http://bit.ly/OneSlipUpStrangelove

They couldn't stop the bombers because CRM114 prevents communication - clearly, Kubrick had experienced CRM problems of his own.

My favorite quote from that movie is "There's no fighting in the war room."
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#18684 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-August-24, 08:56

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-August-23, 09:43, said:

What do you mean by "left"? I ask that in all sincerity since here in the U.S.A. it has been the religious right that has most contravened devotion to education.

The problem is that the sides don't agree on what a "quality education" is. What each wing thinks is improvement is considered corruption by the others.

Religious fundamentalists thought they were saving kids' souls when they prosecuted Scopes for teaching evolution.

#18685 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-August-24, 11:04

View Postbarmar, on 2021-August-24, 08:56, said:

The problem is that the sides don't agree on what a "quality education" is. What each wing thinks is improvement is considered corruption by the others.

Religious fundamentalists thought they were saving kids' souls when they prosecuted Scopes for teaching evolution.

That is a good point, but how do you argue with this?

William Lane Craig, Ph.D (so his own opinions sound expert) and Christian apologist:

"Should a conflict arise between the witness of the Holy Spirit to the fundamental truth of the Christian faith and beliefs based on argument and evidence then it is the former which must take precedence over the latter."

#18686 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-25, 07:15

Bloomberg said:

A divided U.S. Supreme Court rejected the Biden administration’s rescinding of a Trump-era immigration policy concerning asylum seekers entering from the border with Mexico. The court left in force a ruling requiring the resumption of a process, halted in June, that has forced almost 70,000 people to remain in Mexico while their applications are processed.

Matt Yglesias said:

Sure the Supreme Court is aware that it can’t actually order the government of Mexico to comply with MPP just because they feel like it, right?

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#18687 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2021-August-25, 08:05

Pelosi has just demonstrated, once again, that she is the most accomplished House Speaker in US history. (I have posted in the past that I think it is time for her to step down. I was glad to have her there today)
Alderaan delenda est

#18688 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-August-25, 10:46

Bloomberg said:

A divided U.S. Supreme Court rejected the Biden administration's rescinding of a Trump-era immigration policy concerning asylum seekers entering from the border with Mexico. The court left in force a ruling requiring the resumption of a process, halted in June, that has forced almost 70,000 people to remain in Mexico while their applications are processed.

Matt Yglesias said:

Sure the Supreme Court is aware that it can't actually order the government of Mexico to comply with MPP just because they feel like it, right?

Myself, I'm wondering if this SCOTUS sleeps on My Pillows?

#18689 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-25, 13:31

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-August-25, 10:46, said:

Myself, I'm wondering if this SCOTUS sleeps on My Pillows?

Just 6 of them. I'll leave it to the reader to figure out which 6.

#18690 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-25, 15:25

I'm very unhappy to report that I share a birthday with Mike Lindell - and Elon Musk Posted Image.

#18691 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-August-25, 16:49

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-August-25, 15:25, said:

I'm very unhappy to report that I share a birthday with Mike Lindell - and Elon Musk Posted Image.

You think that's a problem? I have a twin brother. His birthday is the day before mine. He shares his with Donald Trump; I share mine with Xi Jinping.

#18692 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-25, 17:02

On the plus side, along with 6/6, it is a 'perfect' birthday.

#18693 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-26, 17:09

Trump Suggests Osama bin Laden Wasn’t a ‘Monster’: He Only Had ‘One Hit’

On the same morning that at least 12 U.S. service members were killed in a bloody terror attack in Kabul, former President Donald Trump suggested Osama bin Laden wasn’t a big deal and only “had one hit.”

Calling into conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt’s show on Thursday morning, Trump doubled down on his recent claims that the Taliban wouldn’t have quickly taken over Afghanistan following American troop withdrawal if he were still in charge. (Trump negotiated the original peace deal with the Taliban in February 2020, which included a May 1 withdrawal date and the release of 5,000 Taliban prisoners.)

Bin Laden was hunted down and killed by the Obama administration in 2011, nearly a decade into the ongoing War on Terror. And despite Trump essentially calling bin Laden a one-hit wonder, the terror mastermind also carried out the U.S. Embassy bombings in 1998 and the deadly USS Cole attack in 2000 which resulted in hundreds of casualties.

The Manchurian President must have been channeling his inner Kayleigh McEnany who has been making a recent run to become the biggest liar in the USA. Having a woman challenging the former Mysogynist in Chief for America's Biggest Liar title must have shaken Individual-1 which prompted him to branch out to new areas of lying.

#18694 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-27, 03:15

A group founded by a Capitol riot defendant is prescribing an unproven COVID-19 treatment, ivermectin, through a telemedicine site for $90 a pop

America's Frontline Doctors, whose founder, Dr. Simone Gold, has been charged in the Capitol riot, is offering $90 telehealth consultations to prescribe unproven treatments for COVID-19.

As of Thursday night, selecting ivermectin prompted a message saying, "Unfortunately due to the national shortage of Ivermectin, at the current time ivermectin is unavailable for treatment," adding that hydroxychloroquine was an "alternative option."

Neither medication has been endorsed by US public-health authorities as COVID-19 treatments, but both have been promoted against the recommendations of public-health officials. Ivermectin, an antiparasitic drug commonly used to treat worms in horses and cows, is the latest unproven treatment to take hold in some online circles.

The Food and Drug Administration said last week that it had received reports about patients who were hospitalized after "self-medicating with ivermectin intended for horses," urging people to stop.

I do not recall if I am speaking from personal experience, but if you don't have an extra $90 to get this prescription, you can get ivermectin for free if you "visit" a farm late at night and do some cow tipping before the cows get a chance to eat their medicine.

#18695 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-August-29, 09:52

Is anyone else getting fed up with the inordinate amount of media coverage this twice impeached loser is receiving? I’m mad as hell and I won’t take it anymore!

Attica! Attica!

#18696 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-August-29, 15:56

Matt Yglesias said:

Sure the Supreme Court is aware that it can't actually order the government of Mexico to comply with MPP just because they feel like it, right?

Ohhh Matt! Of course the Supreme Court can tell Mexico what to do. Mexico is easy. Where were you when Mexico built that wall just because Manchurian Candidate Trump said they were going to build the wall in a campaign speech?

#18697 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-01, 16:57

View Postbarmar, on 2021-August-24, 08:56, said:

A fundamental of quality education that most sides seem to have forgotten is training the mind to ask questions

#18698 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-01, 17:44

RIP, Roe vs Wade.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#18699 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2021-September-01, 19:04

View Postcherdano, on 2021-September-01, 17:44, said:

RIP, Roe vs Wade.

The reason we no longer have to fight in Afghanistan is because the Taliban moved to Texas.

#18700 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-September-01, 23:00

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-September-01, 19:04, said:

The reason we no longer have to fight in Afghanistan is because the Taliban moved to Texas.

And all the other red states. It's way past time for letting Red America secede from the USA.

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

100 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 100 guests, 0 anonymous users